Have Rented Clubs Changed Your Bag

SeeMoreGuy

They Make 'em. I Buy 'em.
Reaction score
Played with a guy at Trump golf corusein Puerto Rico who rented clubs there. They rent TM products and he was using the 2009 Burners. Thoughout the round he commented on how good they were. I share my thoughts on them as we played and near the end of the round he said he would be putting hsi Ping G10's on Ebay an buying a set of Burners. I guess the whole renting of clubs does help sell sticks for companies. My questions is: has anyone changed clubs because of playing with a rented set from a resort?

The resort course I play in Mexico rents TM clubs. I haven't made any changes to my bag, yet. I will admit, however, that I look forward to playing some new, high-quality clubs when I'm down there, as opposed to my old pieces of scrap!

never have had the opportunity but it's a good outcome when the rented clubs beat what your own set is.

I have a rented club story that doesn't really go along with the theme of this thread but it left enough of an impression on me that I thought I'd share it here.

Years ago, I was on the first tee of a local course that I frequented and I was joined by a guy about my own age. As I got to know him, I discovered that he was a traveling salesman and he lugged a car full of samples with him from town to town (I think it was carpeting and floor tiles).

He said he loved to play golf and that he did whenever he had some free time, but the problem was that because his car was so loaded with flooring samples, he had no room for his golf bag. Consequently, he traveled light by only bringing his driver and putter and he rented the rest of the clubs from wherever he played.

So were waiting to tee off and he's looking over his bag of clubs (a 3, 5, 7 and 9-iron along with a crummy putter, driver and 3-wood) and he even pointed out to me that the shaft on the 9-iron was a little bent (it was), but he said he'd be OK with it.

Well, to make a long story short, I watched him shoot a 74 that day and what it taught me was that the brand or type of clubs one uses are of little importance and that it's the skill of the person swinging those clubs that really counts.

I've never forgotten that man, those rented clubs or the lesson I learned that day.

Sorry for the threadjack, but I've always thought that experience was a sort of "golf parable" and I like to tell it now and then.

-JP

I have a rented club story that doesn't really go along with the theme of this thread but it left enough of an impression on me that I thought I'd share it here.

Years ago, I was on the first tee of a local course that I frequented and I was joined by a guy about my own age. As I got to know him, I discovered that he was a traveling salesman and he lugged a car full of samples with him from town to town (I think it was carpeting and floor tiles).

He said he loved to play golf and that he did whenever he had some free time, but the problem was that because his car was so loaded with flooring samples, he had no room for his golf bag. Consequently, he traveled light by only bringing his driver and putter and he rented the rest of the clubs from wherever he played.

So were waiting to tee off and he's looking over his bag of clubs (a 3, 5, 7 and 9-iron along with a crummy putter, driver and 3-wood) and he even pointed out to me that the shaft on the 9-iron was a little bent (it was), but he said he'd be OK with it.

Well, to make a long story short, I watched him shoot a 74 that day and what it taught me was that the brand or type of clubs one uses are of little importance and that it's the skill of the person swinging those clubs that really counts.

I've never forgotten that man, those rented clubs or the lesson I learned that day.

Sorry for the threadjack, but I've always thought that experience was a sort of "golf parable" and I like to tell it now and then.

-JP

Good stuff w/ a good message.

I would have been dumbfounded. And bought him a drink or two.

Great story JP!

Yes. When my brother-in-laws came to visit, they both rented the premium bag (TM R9 driver and fairways, TM rescue, TM Burner irons). The more experienced one (they both play maybe 3-4 times/year) seemed to be hitting the driver straight down the middle of each fairway. Around the 6th hole, I tried the driver as well, and we shared it for the rest of the round. I tried the irons and hybrids as well, but the R9 really stood out to me. I ordered the R9 460 about two months later...

We asked the golf pro if he ever sells the clubs, and he said that he wasnt allowed to because of some deal between the club and TM. :confused2:

Back