Tiger Woods Schedules News Conference

Very true. There is no doubt being under the publics eye makes it even tougher, but isnt he kind of used to that? I mean just you or I doing a post round interview on TV would make us nervous but its something he is used to doing. Sure the press conference took a lot of guts but to say none of us would do it is a little extreme. Tiger has been in the publics eye for over a decade, I would think it makes it a little easier.

No chance is it easier. Its probably harder. The man has never made a mistake before in his life(relative to his career i mean). saying i hit a bad shot and saying i cheated on my wife are two completly different things

Very true. There is no doubt being under the publics eye makes it even tougher, but isnt he kind of used to that? I mean just you or I doing a post round interview on TV would make us nervous but its something he is used to doing. Sure the press conference took a lot of guts but to say none of us would do it is a little extreme. Tiger has been in the publics eye for over a decade, I would think it makes it a little easier.

Talking about your failures on a golf course and talking about your failures as a man/husband/father/public figure/ect... are two completely different things. No amount of public speaking can you prepare you for that. I honestly think that most of us here would have a hard time doing that. Sure for money you can get up there and say whatever and be done with it, this is something he has to live every day with.

Talking about your failures on a golf course and talking about your failures as a man/husband/father/public figure/ect... are two completely different things. No amount of public speaking can you prepare you for that. I honestly think that most of us here would have a hard time doing that. Sure for money you can get up there and say whatever and be done with it, this is something he has to live every day with.

great minds think alike mr mac

Well, that wasn't hard to see coming. My personal take, not that it matters to the unverse at large in the least:

1. It's not so much his affairs, it's the quantity, questionable quality, and outrageous timing of those transactions, not to mention the lurid details of his interactions and some of the other alleged transactions surrounding them that collectively stink, far beyond your typical public-figure-has-affair(s) scenario. And these are the known indiscretions. The as yet unknown acts, including hook ups that assuredly exist but have been resolved through other "discrete" financial arrangements, must be legion in number.

2. But we as a people generally want to see the good in others, especially those we want to admire, and so we are naturally a little naive and a little willfully blind when it comes to Tiger and those like him. We, the unwashed mass, will inevitably forgive and accept apologies, even when they are staged and produced and directed by lawyers and PR firms, even when the delivery is obviously rehearsed and yet rather amateurish too. That is why this approach has worked time and again for others, and why it will work for Tiger, too. And fatigue -- don't forget the cleansing action of time in making an otherwise celebrated persona publicly palatable again (as the governor of Louisiana once said, unless they catch him on tape with a dead girl or a live boy, the people will forgive, or words to that effect).

3. It is my opinion that Tiger is "sincerely" saddened, probably heart broken, about this ... in that I believe Tiger has now learned the sad lesson that his personal fortunes are inextricably intertwined with public perception, and that his frolics must stop because they are incompatable with continuing as the world's most marketable athlete. I believe also that if he thought he could continue to bang nasty she-beasts into perpetuity without being discovered, he would be all over it. [Edit: Maybe I would too. Dunno. I like to think not, though.] [Edit II: My sister thinks I have been way too harsh in this, and watching it again, I think I have too -- he probably is destraught over the recognition of what his family has suffered at his hand, as well as the other.]

4. So has Tiger "changed"? In my view, yes: he has a new understanding about the facts of life. But is he, and does he remain, entirely morally bankrupt as person? I believe yes, also. Do I care when it comes to admiring his golf game? Well, frankly, a little bit: I'm only human and it is hard to cabin revulsion for the person from admiration for the athlete. But it's not so bad that I can't enjoy watching his mastery and precision with a lump of forged steel clamped to the end of a hollow metal stick, and I look forward to his displays of that prowess even though I wouldn't shake his hand were I to bump into him in a bar.

5. That's just my take away, but who the heck am I to judge? Well, I'm a human who is also prone to error, who has much less skill with a golf club, who enjoys much less temptation and fewer opportunities for malfeasance, but who has (maybe for that very reason) engaged in far less spectacular fleshly failings than the ones Tiger has (sort of) admitted.

So, eh, that's where I am on Tiger -- not that anyone but me really ought to care.

Smiles.

Last edited:
No chance is it easier. Its probably harder. The man has never made a mistake before in his life(relative to his career i mean). saying i hit a bad shot and saying i cheated on my wife are two completly different things

Never said it wasnt tough. I just thought a comment like this
No man on this board could honestly say that they could get up there and do what he did.
was a bit out there.

something is definitely wrong with him ... either he's drugged or he has some damage to his jaw ... it's more than nervousness that's making him lisp and mispronounce so many words without there being a corresponding tremble in his voice suggesting he's uncomfortable ...

i also have to question the coincidence of nike bombarding the airways with the new commercial (which appeals to everyone's desire to overcome), with tigers statement "i once heard that it's not what you accomplish, but what you overcome." ...

the timing of and connection between that statement (which seems to have just been thrown in there, and stuck out as cliche, interrupting the flow of his speech) ... and the commercial (which as noted appeals to peoples own sense of purpose) ... subconsciously will affect people's perceptions favorably for tiger ...

commercial ...
[YOUTUBE]eCtvCnmFbb0[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
something is definitely wrong with him ... either he's drugged or he has some damage to his jaw

How in the world can someone know this?

Good observation / interesting point on the Nike commercial tie-in, Vicar. Speaking of which, I wonder how much more advertising money goes to Lance now that some of it isn't being siphoned off to Tiger?

something is definitely wrong with him ... either he's drugged or he has some damage to his jaw ... it's more than nervousness that's making him lisp and mispronounce so many words without there being a corresponding tremble in his voice suggesting he's uncomfortable ...

rewatch the video and stare at his mouth. there is something in his bottom behind his teeth, its silver and shiny. just watch his mouth, its all i could stare at when i first noticed it

perhaps i have been drugged/medicated and/or had my jaw broken ... :bulgy-eyes:

or i'm just perceptive ... :act-up:

anyway ... match play is where it's at baby !!! on to accenture !!!

Last edited:

i noticed it as soon as he started to speak. rewatch the video. something is in his mouth bottom jaw, under his tongue and behind his teeth

shiny and silver

I'm not a fan of Tiger Woods the person, but I do admire his golf game.

I watched the "speech," and want to believe that he was sincere. The cynical side of me thinks that most of it was staged, and he wants his squeaky clean "Wheaties" image back. The trusting side of me hopes that he is doing what he needs to do for the best of his family.

BUT - with everything going on in this world - people losing jobs, losing their homes, unemployment rates, earthquake victims needing aid, foul weather repercussions, the Mid East, etc..., I find it laughable that all the major TV stations are devoting so much time to this junk. Let the "talk shows" and "celebrity news" shows cover this circus.

Personally I really wish the man and his family all the best, but if I never hear another word about this in the media, it will be just fine.

Well said, GenErr.

perhaps i have been drugged/medicated and/or had my jaw broken ... :bulgy-eyes:

or i'm just perceptive ... :act-up:

anyway ... match play is where it's at baby !!! on to accenture !!!

Or you are just wildly guessing because you thought he sounded odd. Saying someone was on drugs or had a broken jaw, without any knowledge seems odd. But kind of par for the course with this subject.

BUT - with everything going on in this world - people losing jobs, losing their homes, unemployment rates, earthquake victims needing aid, foul weather repercussions, the Mid East, etc..., I find it laughable that all the major TV stations are devoting so much time to this junk. Let the "talk shows" and "celebrity news" shows cover this circus.

Personally I really wish the man and his family all the best, but if I never hear another word about this in the media, it will be just fine.

:clapp::clapp: :good::good:

I'm not a fan of Tiger Woods the person, but I do admire his golf game.

I watched the "speech," and want to believe that he was sincere. The cynical side of me thinks that most of it was staged, and he wants his squeaky clean "Wheaties" image back. The trusting side of me hopes that he is doing what he needs to do for the best of his family.

Very well said. I think that is why people do follow it though. Misery loves company and gossip takes people away from reality.

I totally agree w/ this as well. The next word I want to hear about Tiger is when he returns to play this sport that we love so dearly.

But, there are those who want him going on Oprah, Couric, Larry King, etc etc. :bulgy-eyes:

I think this news conference was too little too late to be honest. I also have a hard time believing that he has never used steroids....but that is just me personally.

I really do respect how he wants to protect his family and I understand the anger he showed...id be pissed too.

However, the "apology" seemed empty so to me it was more of a stay away from my family speech...

Re: Tiger Woods Schedules News Conference

Kimeran said:
I think this news conference was too little too late to be honest. I also have a hard time believing that he has never used steroids....but that is just me personally.

I really do respect how he wants to protect his family and I understand the anger he showed...id be pissed too.

However, the "apology" seemed empty so to me it was more of a stay away from my family speech...

Why is it that any incredible athlete should be accused of using steroids. Just the worldnwe live in I guess. :confused2:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, that wasn't hard to see coming. My personal take, not that it matters to the universe at large in the least:

Yeah, I was ready to type a full response about the entire content of his speech and whatnot, but that ^^^^ pretty much sums up my feelings. Especially #1.

Do I think the details are any of my business? Not really. But as a fan, I'm entitled to not root for him any more. Which I won't. All I can think now every time I see him is "Gross."

No man on this board could honestly say that they could get up there and do what he did.

Any day of the week. Especially in a sterile environment consisting of friends and family. Would I be nervous? Of course. Could I pull it off? Without question. And I probably wouldn't stumble as much as he did. I'd be willing to bet I could even take questions. Why? Because the details are already out there. Not hiding anything at this point. And any questions about coming back (if I didn't have a plan) could be answered with a simple "I don't have a definite timeline. My family is the most important thing to me and I won't even consider coming back until I have made amends there. As of right now, I have no plans to come back. But when and if I do, I will give advance notice through the proper channels and in a respectful way." Any questions that were too personal (details about Elin and the kids or the other women or the affairs) receive a simple "That's between me and my family. I'm not going to discuss that." As for the nature of the treatment, "I'm not going to discuss that out of respect for the privacy of the other people at the facility and because it's a personal matter between me, my family, and my treatment team."

Then again, I'd never do what he did. Not in a million years. I know what it's like to love a woman more than anything else in life (I don't have kids, but I'd be willing to bet that's the single exception) and I know I couldn't cheat on her with one person, not to mention the stable that he maintained.

But in the end, his words don't mean anything. He has speech writers and public speaking coaches, and agents all helping him appear genuine even if he's not. Show me a man who comes back and devotes himself to his family. Then I'll consider giving some credence to his words. But honestly, if I was Elin, I don't think I could get past it. Too much deception. Too many times. And way way too creepy circumstances. I don't know what the clinical term for a personality disorder like that is (when you think the same rules don't apply to you, etc) but I'd be willing to bet it doesn't go away overnight . . . or in 45 days . . . or maybe ever.

4. So has Tiger "changed"? In my view, yes: he has a new understanding about the facts of life. But is he, and does he remain, entirely morally bankrupt as person? I believe yes, also. Do I care when it comes to admiring his golf game? Well, frankly, a little bit: I'm only human and it is hard to cabin revulsion for the person from admiration for the athlete. But it's not so bad that I can't enjoy watching his mastery and precision with a lump of forged steel clamped to the end of a hollow metal stick, and I look forward to his displays of that prowess even though I wouldn't shake his hand were I to bump into him in a bar.

So, like me, you find it hard to believe a Tiger can change its stripes.

Back