Ryuji Imada: 26 Penalty Strokes

Another reason why the rules need to be uniformed and consistent around the world. All the ruling bodies need to get together and in my opinion simplify the rules and make them uniform. Very admirable on Imada because I bet he did not move the ball more than a club length 13 times but he could not remember so he took the max.

I just feel there should not be any local rules in play.

major error on his part not reading the rules but very different from the DJ situation IMO. DJ's error was in not assuming that every piece of dirt/sand, even way way off the fairways where people were standing, was a sand bunker. Have never been a fan of Pete Dye courses.

Another reason why the rules need to be uniformed and consistent around the world. All the ruling bodies need to get together and in my opinion simplify the rules and make them uniform. Very admirable on Imada because I bet he did not move the ball more than a club length 13 times but he could not remember so he took the max.

I just feel there should not be any local rules in play.

There is too much variability in terrain and other conditions from course to course and from region to region for that to be even remotely reasonable. The current form of the Rules of Golf came from such consolidations over the 250 years since the first set of 13 rules was written down. But it has been taken just about as far as it is possible. Local rules will always exist. It's the nature of the game that the rules must be able to account for special circumstances. In many cases they will be invoked to alleviate a temporary condition. The system must be designed with some flexibility to meet varying weather and playing conditions.

The real problem isn't with local rules which are used like they are supposed to be implemented. Those local rules which have been approved, as well as approved conditions of the competition, are included in The Rules of Golf and shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Where the real problems come in is when courses "invent" their own local rules which are either not approved or are actually in direct violation of the Rules of Golf. Such local rules cannot be in force in any competition conducted under the rules.

It comes down to simply using one's head. Every competition is going to have a sheet of instructions for the players. It is typically just a single page. Any player who is too lazy or disinterested to read it, deserves what he gets.

Back