Ryuji Imada: 26 Penalty Strokes

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
From the Golf Channel 10/30/10:

HAIKOU, China –Ryuji Imada was penalized 26 strokes in the first round of the Mission Hills Star Trophy on Saturday.

Imada received 13 separate two-stroke penalties because, like Dustin Johnson at the PGA Championship, he failed to read the local rules sheet.

Due to the soft state of the Blackstone course, players were allowed to lift, clean and place their balls. Imada assumed this meant within one club length of the original position, as is standard procedure on the PGA Tour.

However, the European and Asian Tours use the length of one scorecard as a measurement. It wasn’t until the 12th hole that fellow competitor Danny Lee noticed Imada was breaking the rule and informed him.

After the round, Imada conferred with tournament director David Parkin. He could not remember exactly how many times he had broken the rule, but took an educated guess that it was a maximum of 13.

Parkin accepted that figure and instructed Imada to add 26 strokes and sign for a 24-over 97.

“I’m an idiot,” said Imada, who admitted he had not read the local rules sheet.

Without the penalties, Imada would have been tied for the lead in the 36-hole event being contested by 18 professionals – nine men and nine women.

OUCH!

Ouch indeed. That makes Dustin Johnson's faux pas pale in comparison!

... and he still broke 100!

That must have sucked bad.:bad:

Yep. Good for Ryuji. Only thing I question here is whether it really took the other guy 13 holes to notice or he just let him build up his score first.

Wow. But I do wonder where his caddy was during all of this. Even if Ryuji didn't read the local rules, shouldn't his caddy have read them to keep his player out of trouble like this?

He was with Moobs caddie moving the advertisement banners. Which, btw, is a dumb rule. How can you let advertising dollars so blatantly interfere with the game? Honestly- what better fits the description of man made obstacle than a advertiser banner?

Man, these guys better start reading those rules sheets.

At least he was honest as it seems he didnt lowball his guess on how many times he did it..Good for him

Wow. But I do wonder where his caddy was during all of this. Even if Ryuji didn't read the local rules, shouldn't his caddy have read them to keep his player out of trouble like this?

I've been saying this for all these incidents. What exactly do these caddies do?

Kevin

I've been saying this for all these incidents. What exactly do these caddies do?
I agree about the caddies, but you'd think that for a Tour player, where it's their own earnings potentially at stake, they would take the couple/few minutes to read through the local rules. "If you want something done right, do it yourself". Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't imagine the local rules would be particularly heavy reading.

I agree about the caddies, but you'd think that for a Tour player, where it's their own earnings potentially at stake, they would take the couple/few minutes to read through the local rules. "If you want something done right, do it yourself". Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't imagine the local rules would be particularly heavy reading.
Yeah, the rules sheet is probably is just that...a sheet.

Agreed completely. It's definitely on the player first and foremost to know the local rules. But the caddy should have been aware as well. Just a complete lapse on both their parts.

Most of these caddies get paid as a percentage of the players winnings up to a point, and it increases considerably when their player wins. I read that Dustin Johnson's caddy lost up to $130,000 when he didn't win the PGA. That's a lotta cabbage when you're a looper. If I was toting a bag, I'd sure as hell take ten minutes to read the he local rules.

Kevin

It just seems to happen again and again! This is a sore one, but I guess if you're going to be penalised 10, you might as well take the 26!

Dang that's gotta suck......

I wonder if the guy he was playing with really didn't notice until over halfway through the round...

WOW ! thats incredible.

in this, and the dustin johnson situation, i have to really wonder what the caddies were doing ??? i understand that in both instances they were away from their player.....but shouldnt they have informed than of the rules beforehand ???

Even in my men's club tournaments we are handed a sheet with the players instructions, which will include any local rules or conditions of the competition which are in effect for the tournament. This is standard practice for just about any properly organized tournament, and certainly for any professional level event. Why a player wouldn't take 2 minutes to read it is beyond amazing to me.

So the player hosed it up, and the caddy blew it too... Isn't there a rules official wandering the course with each group? I know it's the players responsibility first, and maybe the caddies second, but if I was an official walking the course with a player (especially a tournament leader) I think I would tell them the first time I saw an infraction. No?

Too bad for him, but major kudos for calling the max penalty on himself!

Back