How do you keep your hands warm in the winter up north!

I've got a pair of skiing mittens I picked up for £10 from a discount sports store. I also picked up a load of those heat pockets from a wholesale store a while back. So I just put them on while walking between shots. It's been below 0*C the last few days here but barely a cloud in the sky so I've wrapped up and had a few very plesant rounds.

Homerun79: How was the snow out in Langley? We didn't seem to catch it to bad downtown plus all the traffic cleared the roads pretty quick.

Lately I've taken to having the hot hand things in one of the larger pouches of my car witha bunch of the cheap thin gloves from the dollar store. The hot pockets keep all the gloves warm and I just rotate through the pairs as they get cold.

Here is my remedy.

Spoiler
455329430_jhHdj-S-1.jpg

455329633_kepPn-S-1.jpg

I have never, ever seen a cart like that, and I live just outside of Boston. Though I like those mitts of TCs. I may have to get a pair of those.

The problem in the Southland is not the occational 40 degree morning but the quite regular 50 degree morning which can feel very cold if you are not climatized to it. I remember one year when I was much younger visiting a friend living in Dade County. Took my girlfriend and the four of us including his gal just made it a 72 hour party one weekend. One early morning after the gals had crashed out we were out preparing the boat for the next day. It was about 50 degrees in February. I had on a t shirt and felt overdressed. He had on about four layers including a sweater and was freezing. By February I had already been through several New Hampshire mornings so 50 felt wonderful to me. He was purple.

when it gets to 0°C I keep my hands warm by staying at home. For this old dog it's got to be at least in the 50's.Maybe 40's if there's a cart cover and cart heater.The older I get the bigger a puss I become when it comes to playing golf in cold weather.

The problem in the Southland is not the occational 40 degree morning but the quite regular 50 degree morning which can feel very cold if you are not climatized to it. I remember one year when I was much younger visiting a friend living in Dade County. Took my girlfriend and the four of us including his gal just made it a 72 hour party one weekend. One early morning after the gals had crashed out we were out preparing the boat for the next day. It was about 50 degrees in February. I had on a t shirt and felt overdressed. He had on about four layers including a sweater and was freezing. By February I had already been through several New Hampshire mornings so 50 felt wonderful to me. He was purple.

I dont know if you have ever spent long periods of time in FL, but in many areas you can go 2 straights months in the 40s and below. Sure you will have your spike in temperatures that pop up, but just last year we had 30s/40s for weeks on end. Close to 6 weeks straight. Is it as cold as living in the north, of course not, why on earth would I want to do that, but it can get plenty cold down in this area and when the temps read that low, staying warm on the course is a priority for me. Unlike some, I dont want to be a partial year golfer. That is why I live in FL (well that and less taxes, quality of life, etc...) :alien:

Last edited:
Well you are right JB I really cannot speak for parts of the state that I have not visited regularly. I guess the worst thing you could do would be visit places in Florida where it gets really cold. I did not visit last year but downloaded the low temp daily history for last winter from December 1 through March 30 for the two places that I do visit, Miami and Orlando. Actually I downloaded the data in one week increments and then downloaded daily data around any week increment where I found a low temp of the day below 50 degrees and would continue to download daily low temp of the day data until I got over 50 degrees again. I did not find one daily low for Miami below 50 degrees when downloading in weekly increments. So I did not look for data with tighter granularity than that for Miami.

I expected lower temps for Orlando and found two instances when downloading in weekly increments when the low temperature for the day was in the 40’s or lower. When I downloaded the low temp of the day data for the days around that day, I found a week in mid January around the 15th where the low temp of the day was anywhere from the mid 40’s to the mid 30s’ and another week of days in early February around the 7th with low temps of the day again around the mid 30s’. However for all other weekly readings there was not another period all of last winter when it was worth checking in tighter granularity than once per week.

Of course, low temp of the day readings for Miami and Orlando hardly cover the whole state but I doubt people are playing golf when the low temp of the day occurs either as it is rare for the sun to be up when low temp of the day occurs.

Six weeks of really low temps does seem excessive though. I don’t have your zip code or one close to yours so I did not try that search. Maybe you are in a pocket where the temperature is much colder for extended periods for some reason. The low temps in Orange County had gotten so low a few years back that both the crop and the trees were taken one year and I think there is hardly any Orange production in Orange County any longer as a result. That said it does not take an extended period of cold to kill Orange trees. Freezing temps can kill Orange trees in a matter of hours.

All you have to do is some research on golf in FL to see that we had crazy low temps throughout the state 2 years ago and courses were getting ruined. Despite your data, FL DOES see gold days and weeks and when you factor in ocean and gulf breeze in many areas, there is need for cart covers, etc. I'm from up north, I am well aware of what cold is. Is at as cold here? Of course not, but to suggest it does not really go below the 50s is not really correct. It was below that in the am when a bunch of thpers visited our old home just 3 weeks ago. 44 on the thermometer when we were at the range.

By the way, the orange trees are alive and well and orange county has tons of them including right across from our new neighborhood.

I started using the hand warmer pouch like they have in football w/ hot hands inside. Been working well and easiest system I've tried. Easy to put hands in and pull them out as oppose to putting bulky gloves on and pulling them off. I just make sure to turn it to my backside when swinging...

I stay inside -10 windchill last night in Milwaukee...

Like this !

Spoiler
Al_Bundy.jpg

Back