How do you keep your hands warm in the winter up north!

homerun79

Reaction score
Handicap
We are already down to zero degrees celsius here in BC, borderline too cold to play for me, but I'm sure I would've gone out today if the snow had melted!

Recently I tried those little pouches of sand that you shake and they produce heat for a few hours, I liked those, convenient to just put your non glove hand in your pocket and warm it up real quick!

I tried on the new FJ Winter gloves, but as I found with the rain gloves, I just can't get excited about the 2 glove system, my interlocking pinky just doesnt sit on the other hand nicely at all and of course your feel is degraded.

My buddy has this mitt system on the handle of his push cart, so he can warm them up when he's moving, but I could only find clicgears model, for their carts. I have the Sun Mountain Micro Cart, maybe I'll see if their website offers one.

What do you guys prefer to keep the hands from freezing on those cold days?

Also any other recommended products, or tips for fighting the cold would be great!

Cheers

I've got a pair of mittens made by the company that makes those "sand pouches" that create heat. There are pockets on each mitten that hold the heat puiches. They work great for when I go skiing. But they are TOO bulky to use during golf. I take them off between swings. I take too many practice swings anyways.

I've never used the 'heated' mittens, but if I play in the cold, I always take a big pair of mittens with me. There is nothing special about them, but the one thing that makes them great is that they are easy on/easy off. Hit your shot, slip them on and the hands stay warm. Next shot comes, real easy to take them off. Pretty easy even with a golf glove on. Kind of a pain in the butt to take them on and off so much, but keeping the hands warm is worth it.

I usually bring a pair of mitts or gloves and take them off before each shot. It can be a pain at times but at least I am out there enjoying my round of golf with warm hands.

i use a solid fuel handwarmer in my pocket..keeps a good heat for about 5 hours. only cost about £5, and the fuel sticks dont cost much at all.

i do have mitts but they are a bit of a pain to take on and off so i only use them when its a combination of cold, wet and windy..:)

Hot Hands pouches in the pockets of my jacket.

hot hands in my pockets. FJ winter glove on my left hand. FJ winter glove on my right between shots. this system works for me....has for quite a few years.

I also have cart mitts that are handy because you can slip them up above your wrists for your swing.

if I'm riding....I also slip the hot hands in my butt pockets.....those seats get cold. lol.

I use a couple of things to help. One thing I tend to do this time of year is switch off between ride cart and push cart so I like things that I can use either way.

I have those mitts that wrap around your push cart handle and velco attach to it as well. They usually have pockets for hot packs and mine do as well. I think mine are universal although my cart is a clicgear. I actually also velcro one hand of the system to the steering wheel of a ride cart and find it useful for keeping your hands warm with a ride cart as well although it should be obvious that you have to remove one or both of your hands on occasion to steer safely.

Also there is a set of mitts made that I use that are designed so that you never really take them off. I use these as well. They are somewhat rectangular in shape. You put them on and they are not a snug fit at the wrist. I think this is with a purpose as they are very comfortable to wear for long periods of time. While your hand slips into them like normal, there is a slit that runs across the top of each mitt about one knucle down from the tips of your fingers and on the palm side. The top of the mitt rolls over this slit so that the cold does not find its way through the slit to your hands.

So, when you are ready to hit you you pull the top of the mitt over your fingers and push it back to your wrist exposing your hands. You take your shot and simply pull them back up over the tips of your fingers and your hands are once again covered. I have had days lately where the temps are in the high 30s' or low 40s' but with the wind making it feel colder. Sometimes i will use both of these mitt systems to keep my hands warm as the cart mitts are big enough to get your hands in them even with the other mitts on as well. I find that if I can keep my core warm and my hands warm I can be good to go from a warmth perspective. I have had no luck myself with the winter play gloves as I have a hard time with the feel for the club grip using those kinds of gloves. So it works better for me if I can keep my hands warm and then completely expose my right hand when I grip the club.

To be honest I think that amount of clothing layers that you have to wear to stay warm this time of year actually does more to impact your shot than the cold ball and the lack of compression. So if I can keep specific body parts warm without being so bundled up, I think I have a better chance to make a decent swing. the biggest disapointment for me is that I love to hit irons and it is just plain easier to hit woods than irons this time of year. I find myself reluctantly pulling out a 5 wood more than I would really like to this time of year.

I played with a guy last week who had a propane heater designed to fit in the cup holder of a golf cart. thing was pretty nice and kept your entire body warm. I'm not sure of the manufacturer however he said he picked it up on a golf website. I'll be looking to invest in one. I'm from California so when it gets in the 50's I be chilly haha.

Footjoy winter gloves and if needed the hot pouches in the pockets of my overshirt! If my hands are cold after that then I don't play.

That's why you bring the gf, she will sit on them in between shots hehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have a pair of these:

titleist-cart-mitts-pair.jpg

they're great b/c i can wear them, flip my hands through to hit my shot, then pull them right back over my hands when i'm done hitting.

i also keep the handwarmers in my pockets.

Here is my remedy.

Spoiler
455329430_jhHdj-S-1.jpg

455329633_kepPn-S-1.jpg

awesome JB! Since you live in Florida and don't have to worry about snow, is that cart designed to keep out hurricanes and such?

awesome JB! Since you live in Florida and don't have to worry about snow, is that cart designed to keep out hurricanes and such?

No hurricanes where we have lived in a LONG time. But people forget, while we can play all year round, it still can get into the 40s and while that may not be cold for some, its nice having the cover and heater to keep you warm and make the round more enjoyable.

The photo TC has of the slit mitts are the ones that I was referring to earlier. They really do work great.

Funny that JB posted that picture today. I saw a guy at my course today that had one of those covers in green. So he got his ride cart and he and his playing partner attached that thing onto it and off to the first hole was he. I also saw him from the fairway as he was finishing up and he and his buddy just folded it up and put it back into his trunk. It does look like a pretty effective way to keep you warmer in the cart. It looks like something that requires two people to get it attached to the cart and then folded and stowed after the round. I do wonder if they are tough to deal with if the wind is blowing.

The photo TC has of the slit mitts are the ones that I was referring to earlier. They really do work great.

Funny that JB posted that picture today. I saw a guy at my course today that had one of those covers in green. So he got his ride cart and he and his playing partner attached that thing onto it and off to the first hole was he. I also saw him from the fairway as he was finishing up and he and his buddy just folded it up and put it back into his trunk. It does look like a pretty effective way to keep you warmer in the cart. It looks like something that requires two people to get it attached to the cart and then folded and stowed after the round. I do wonder if they are tough to deal with if the wind is blowing.

Nope. I put it on the cart and take it off the cart myself almost every time I use it. And the wind does absolutely nothing to them. Poor covers, yes! A good cover like the Clear Vision, have no problems with the wind.

http://thehackersparadise.com/home/?p=1701

I have a pair of the footjoy winter soft gloves. They feel a little too thick when I am taking my interlocking grip, but my hands stay warm. When it gets to this time of the year I don't care much about score, at least I am out playing.

A windshield on the cart and maybe a jacket in the mid to upper 40's, but hand warmers? Guess it depends on the windchill. Any day over 45 with the wind under 15 sounds like a beautiful day up here.

I played with a guy last week who had a propane heater designed to fit in the cup holder of a golf cart. thing was pretty nice and kept your entire body warm. I'm not sure of the manufacturer however he said he picked it up on a golf website. I'll be looking to invest in one. I'm from California so when it gets in the 50's I be chilly haha.

OOOOOH, you just HAD to rub it in. It was in the 50's today and it felt like summer! We've had low's about 30 where I live. But I really feel for our Canadian members! Good luck guys and girls to the north!

i have a pair of these:

titleist-cart-mitts-pair.jpg

they're great b/c i can wear them, flip my hands through to hit my shot, then pull them right back over my hands when i'm done hitting.

i also keep the handwarmers in my pockets.

I want these this year!!!!

Too much of a comfort creature to play in the cold. :p

Any day over 45 with the wind under 15 sounds like a beautiful day up here.

Same here. But we have had few of these the past two weeks. We have had a lot of high 30s' and low 40s' and the wind was gusting over 50 mph the other day. Got blown right off the course that day.

Back