Brand "un"loyalties!

TC

Keg Thrower
Reaction score
Handicap
well, we have a thread where you can discuss your loyalties to certain brands but we don't have one where you can discuss why it is you don't consider or don't want to play others.

there are a couple for me:

bridgestone (equipment, not balls): mostly due to the fact hat finding LH stuff is difficult and not available

srixon (again equipment, not balls): demo'd some stuff but find it harsh, just didn't wow me.

titleist: thought it was the be all end all when i first got into the game, had some DCI irons that i grew to hate. never been really impressed by much. i work in the advertising arena so i can respect what they do, it's ingenious and very effective, but i believe that that's where they put most of their $$$$'s.

I started out with a hand me down set of Tommy Armour 845's, a Taylor Made Burner driver and 3 wood (the bronze one). I started working at a country club and got a great deal on a set of TM RAC irons and a TM R7. and I was given a Titleist 3 wood. I absolutely loved my TM equipment and I have since moved to the Cleveland irons but can not get away from the TM woods. I go only based on feel. I could care less what Joe Schmo puts in his bag.

Interesting list, TC.

I don't really have a brand that I won't play or dislike (in total) so far. That said, there are more than a few companies out there that I haven't had a chance to demo. I'd still probably give their current offerings a try, even if I hadn't liked something of theirs in the past.

I can definitely play this game!!

Ping: Everything has always looked 'off' to me. I had a really hard time standing over their irons years ago, and I can't seem to shake my disinterest.

Callaway: Again, one of those things that I can't shake standing over the ball. Also, the Ft-noisemaker drivers that sound like a car hitting a deer made out of firecrackers

Cobra: It's the stigma more than anything else.. Hard to 'want' something that nobody is talking about..

Recently off the list: Adams (great line this year!!) Nike (moving away from the square-ness in a number of aspects)

bridgestone (equipment, not balls): mostly due to the fact hat finding LH stuff is difficult and not available

Even though I am sure your troubles far exceed mine, I can definitely say Bridgestone is one of the harder clubs to demo (but don't get me wrong, they are absolutely one of my favourite brands in golf). None of the local golf stores carry anything of theirs besides balls and gloves. It's incredibly frustrating.

Interesting thread tc, this could spark some real debate back and forth. Personally I really like the newer Bridgestone products this year, especially their balls but their irons look great too.

Nike has really turned me off lately, this coming from someone who had to rush out and get the Pro Combos when they first came out, I was blown away by those and played them for quite a while and really liked them. But their new products just aren't cutting the mustard for me. Now to be fair I haven't given them much of a trial run either so maybe I'd be surprised.

Callaway hasn't knocked my socks off for a while in the driver and fairway wood category despite them winning best in show at the THP Driver Shoot Out. Again, I haven't had enough first hand experience to really say I love or hate them but I'm just not dying to hit them like I am with other drivers on the market right now.

I've never really thought about a brand that I didn't like, but come to think of it, the one that stands out for me is Nike. I bought a set of the VR full cavity irons last year, played with them for about 3 rounds, and sold them on ebay. They didn't feel as soft as I wanted when I made good contact, and they were no more forgiving than the Cobras I already had. I also bought the Machspeed driver a few months back and just couldn't make myself like it. After those two sour purchases (not because they were bad products or had faulty pieces, but because they just didn't work for me), I'll probably be more hesitant to buy Nike equipment in the future.

Recently off the list: Adams (great line this year!!) Nike (moving away from the square-ness in a number of aspects)

I completely agree. They used to be top of my unwanted list but now they are really stepping it up!

This is going to sound funny, especially given what I've posted in the "golf magazine cover" thread today....but I'm just not drawn to Titleist. I did play the ProV1X for a little while this year, but I find myself gravitating towards other makers of golf balls just so that I can be different from lots of other people that play Titleist. It also makes finding my ball in the rough or trees a lot easier when it's a non-Titleist ball!

The last Titleist club that I played was the 975D driver, which was years ago. The only Titleist clubs that I've looked at recently are the Vokey wedges. Also, I've usually shied away from Ping stuff just because of their looks (especially with the irons and wedges), but I now have a Ping G15 4-wood in my bag that I like.

I'll never go back to Titleist. Its funny, I got nothing against them. Its just that so many new players go with brand new titleist stuff and play pro-v1s. Everyone here at THP is smart and knows there are so many choices out there, that Titleist shouldn't be the right choice for everyone.

Whenever I see titleist I think of my old boss. he wanted to get into golf so he drove down to Golf Galaxy in his ferrari (read: giant douche with inferiority complex) and bought the newest Titlesist everything. Here's the funny part, he calls me up since he knows I'm just down the street, and asks me to drive down to meet him. The reason: his brand new giant titleist staff bag wouldn't fit in his car!

Anyways when I see an all titleist bag I think of my old boss, or a really snooty 20-30 year old who wont stop talking about golf being played the "right" way. We aint all tour pros buddy and last I checked neither were you. So lets leave the annoying chatter about the moron who misplayed his second shot on 18, when the low punch cut with a 7iron with a little release was the correct play, at home. Either way I want nothing to do with either of them. True I know Im stereotyping and not all titleist users are like this. But as George clooney in Up in the Air says, "I'm like my mother, I stereotype. It's faster. "

I find myself lately that I stray away from Callaway's and Ping's. No huge reason, just whenever I hit them it just didn't feel right. I will be hitting those X24's at the outing to maybe ease my mind.

Titleist- harsh feeling and not easy to hit for me

Cobra- almost as harsh as above and not visually appealing. Logo aside.

This is a great thread that I find fascinating. Keep it coming. I know so many that are loyal to brands and even more that simply dislike other brands. I would love to hear from everybody.

This is going to sound funny, especially given what I've posted in the "golf magazine cover" thread today....but I'm just not drawn to Titleist. I did play the ProV1X for a little while this year, but I find myself gravitating towards other makers of golf balls just so that I can be different from lots of other people that play Titleist. It also makes finding my ball in the rough or trees a lot easier when it's a non-Titleist ball!

The last Titleist club that I played was the 975D driver, which was years ago. The only Titleist clubs that I've looked at recently are the Vokey wedges. Also, I've usually shied away from Ping stuff just because of their looks (especially with the irons and wedges), but I now have a Ping G15 4-wood in my bag that I like.

The Ping G series was very popular so I can see why. I havent hit one but my bro was trying to get me to demo it.

Titleist- harsh feeling and not easy to hit for me

Cobra- almost as harsh as above and not visually appealing. Logo aside.

A few years ago(maybe 4) Cobra made a driver that I actually loved. It was LOOOONG and forgiving.

I can't stand Callaway Drivers, I wanted so bad to like the FT IQ with it's bad as$$ white shaft, but the short club face and the fact that it sprayed the ball everywhere (granted I'm not the most consistent driver) but it exaccerbated my flaws. Again just a few months ago I fell in with the looks of the Diablo...same result, cant hit it for crap. and whats with the weird loft increments, everyone does 9.5...10.5 etc but Callaway goes 9...10 just to be different.

I do love their irons and balls though, just to be fair.

Maxfli. Are they still around? Never been a Maxfli fan personally, well maybe for a little while when Freddy was representing them but only the 1 ball, Revolution I think.

Maxfli. Are they still around? Never been a Maxfli fan personally, well maybe for a little while when Freddy was representing them but only the 1 ball, Revolution I think.

I used to love the LADDIE

I dont like taylormade clubs.

That's the understatement of the year... :D

Why don't you just say that you don't like the air you breathe?

so, before i ever joined THP, i was a die hard callaway fan....mostly b/c phil mickelson was one of their staffers and phil's just awesome (this is a perfect example of how marketing can sway consumers, b/c i was), but i find myself being less and less loyal to callaway for a couple of reasons:

1. it's incredibly disappointing that 2 out of 3 iron sets for 2010 aren't available in LH. i don't get that, especially when you have phil mickelson as one of your staffers. it sucks not being able to demo a diablo forged or a x 24 iron. it's really turned me off to be honest.

2. my demo day experience. i was treated with an incredible amount of rudeness by the callaway tech's there and that's something that i will not forget.

That's the understatement of the year... :D

Why don't you just say that you don't like the air you breathe?

haha If i could marry taylormade, I would. I bet if taylormade was girl she would be a 10!

In all seriousness, I really dont dislike any brand, I just slightly favor one company right now. :D

Signed a contract with Dicks I think. You can only buy them at certain places. I know you can buy them at Golf Galaxy.

haha If i could marry taylormade, I would. I bet if taylormade was girl she would be a 10!

In all seriousness, I really dont dislike any brand, I just heavily favor one company right now. :D

FIFY...

Mostly Titleist. I used to play a 975D and crush it, but aside from that I've never been wowed by any other Titleist club and I avoid their balls if for no other reason than I like underdogs and would rather play something besides the "#1 ball in golf" out of spite if nothing else, haha. (I'll play them, I just won't pay for them.)

Back