Back to the game.

dennisj

Reaction score
Would you mind passing on some info please?
I am coming back to golf after a very long break. I have always been a very average golfer, I would like to change that.
I require new clubs, at 63 I am not as flexible as I should be. The clubs that have been recommended are either Cleveland Mashie or Adams
Hybrid woods and irons. In the 70's the clubs were pretty much a matter of a few brands, no real research to do, how much one could afford influenced the choices.
The question is, do these 2 brands offer quality and help to a long handicap player?
Many thanks,
Dennis

Welcome to THP.
There are a lot of good clubs to choose from.

Taylor Made, Ping, Callaway and Titleist might be considered the big 4. Wilson, Adams, Cobra, Mizuno, Cleveland and Nike might be considered quality manufacturers that have smaller market share. Arguably all of the above offer technologically comparable products.

Part of the value of doing a formal fitting is the pro helps direct you to options that meet your individual needs, thereby reducing/eliminating (in theory at least) some of the burden on the consumer to do all the research.

Also, it is probably more common today than it was in the 70's to not have a complete set of clubs from a single manufacturer.

Taylor Made, Ping, Callaway and Titleist might be considered the big 4. Wilson, Adams, Cobra, Mizuno, Cleveland and Nike might be considered quality manufacturers that have smaller market share.

Its funny that in golf, market share is sometimes viewed like marketing, but if we break it down, its weird how it evolves. Cleveland has a larger market share than all but Titleist in wedges. It also has a larger marketshare than all but Adams/Taylormade in hybrids. Nike has the largest marketshare in soft goods other than golf balls. And Adams is now part of Taylormade, but do have the largest marketshare in hybrids. And that is just in the US, because in Asia, Cleveland/Srixon and Bridgestone/Tourstage both hold extremely large percentages of total sales. You are absolutely correct in the idea that all of the brands have comparable products.

To answer the OP, both of those sets are very good quality.

Its funny that in golf, market share is sometimes viewed like marketing, but if we break it down, its weird how it evolves. Cleveland has a larger market share than all but Titleist in wedges. It also has a larger marketshare than all but Adams/Taylormade in hybrids. Nike has the largest marketshare in soft goods other than golf balls. And Adams is now part of Taylormade, but do have the largest marketshare in hybrids. And that is just in the US, because in Asia, Cleveland/Srixon and Bridgestone/Tourstage both hold extremely large percentages of total sales. You are absolutely correct in the idea that all of the brands have comparable products.

To answer the OP, both of those sets are very good quality.

I was hoping you would pop in, I wanted to say something similar, but knew you could say it better.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Thanks for your help. Looking at the listed equipment it is clear that a full set of one maker's clubs has long past. The golf shops have suggested the two sets as the type of clubs most likely to help a long handicap player to improve. Add to that I am a lefty and wish to get away from a serious slice. Current clubs - Australian made PGF "Kel Nagle" circa 1971. Once again, your input is much appreciated.

Thanks for your help. Looking at the listed equipment it is clear that a full set of one maker's clubs has long past. The golf shops have suggested the two sets as the type of clubs most likely to help a long handicap player to improve. Add to that I am a lefty and wish to get away from a serious slice. Current clubs - Australian made PGF "Kel Nagle" circa 1971. Once again, your input is much appreciated.

:welcome:

I play with a couple of early 60's guys both of whom play Adams a12os clubs. Both are mid handicappers and I know they both love their clubs. Maybe look at a full set of Adams clubs; http://www.adamsgolf.com/products/sets/a12os__sr_set.php

Back