How equipment caused me to quit and and then ironically got me back into golf

ryebread

Reaction score
Handicap
Googolplex
I've been lurking at THP for a while, but decided to register and start giving back to the community. I've learned a ton about equipment (and even a few swing tips) from THP over the past year.

I've always been a believer that a good carpenter doesn't complain about his tools. My inability to run a four minute mile had absolutely nothing to do with the shoes I was wearing. In my mind, golf should have been no different. I wanted to share a story about me though that really changed my thinking (and how I will start my child in golf) and also reignited my passion for the game.

I can honestly say that bad clubs absolutely killed my love of the game of golf. At about the age of 14, I started playing golf. I used a hand me down set of "Eisenhowers" which were nicknamed that because they had to be from the Eisenhower era. They were obviously terrible, but it was hard to argue with free. I think they were Al Geiberger blades and persimmon headed woods with aluminum shafts. I had two of the wooden heads break upon impact on drives and the irons needed regripping badly, so it was time to get something new.

I worked, saved up some money and bought a set of clubs out of the back of a magazine. This was in the early 1990s, when Golfsmith was still just a magazine for building custom clubs, when Callaway only made drivers, when there was no internet, when the only classifieds were the ones people paid for in the newspaper and when most people could really only try out clubs at a country club. Golf just wasn't a game for the masses and I didn't have much cash (which meant purchasing from a country club was out). I played with these dud magazine clubs for about 7 years, and they were just awful. I took lessons multiple times. Regardless, every shot was just a terrible, demoralizing banana slice. I could literally line up 45 degrees to the left and still hit to the right side of the fairway. Unfortunately, about every 7th shot or so, I'd actually hit one straight -- and it would end up two fairways over to the left. My scores were atrocious. I lost golf balls at an amazing pace. The only shot I was actually good at besides putting was the recovery from behind a tree. I finally just quit golf in my early 20s because I was so frustrated. I can thank the Tom Winsow brand clubs for that. They had graphite shafts with the stiffness of a wet noodle and were about 2 inches shorter in length than anything else I've ever seen (but they weren't junior or women's clubs).

That actually changed about one year ago. I played in a family best ball tournament while on vacation and did so only for the fellowship aspect. I had always been a pretty decent putter, so I figured that I could hang out, drink a couple of beers, chat with my father and brother-in-law and we'd use some of my putts. I played out of my dad's bag and his Nickent 4DX driver actually got me back into the game. There was something alluring about that big 460cc head that inspired confidence at address, solid feel at impact, bright yellow shaft and (shockingly) high and actually playable drives. We finished dead last in the tournament, but I was on Craigslist that night looking for some cheap, used clubs.

Since then, I've become a self diagnosed club ho. Yes, I will admit that I now have a problem. :D I've owned a half dozen drivers just in the past year, several sets of irons, several sets of hybrids, multiple fairway woods and a handful of putters.

I am now practicing weekly, my mechanics have improved considerably and I can now hit a fairly consistent draw with my irons and fades with my woods and driver. I don't play full rounds very often because I don't have the time and a playing partner (my wife and I moved out of state about a year ago), but I have already scored better than I ever historically have (and that's without the strong putting that I used to have). I'm enjoying the game again and really see it as a lifetime sport.

For me now, I can no longer use equipment as a crutch. My inability to shoot good scores is due to my lack of ability. At the same time, it was equipment that killed my love of the game, and equipment that brought me back into it. I now enjoy reading about equipment as much as I do actually playing. Like most on this forum, I'm constantly looking for that perfect combo.

I don't currently bag anything from Nickent, but on some level I almost feel like I should. Their product actually got me back into golf, and for that, I am very grateful.

Welcome Rye, My advice would be to go get a fitting, you will probably save money in the long run getting it right the first time.

I'm glad you are enjoying the game again.

Wake: Thanks for the greeting.

You are correct that I probably would have saved some time with a fitting up front. I'm actually in the process of that as I'm trying to settle on a driver. I will admit that I have a huge problem with sales people, and I've dealt with some horrifically bad ones. Case in point, I ran into one last weekend who that thought my draw was due to shaft flex and not my strong grip. He was trying to fit me for a stiff shaft despite the fact that I have an intentionally slow swing speed. I took a draw biased club and loosened my grip and hit 3 straight high fades just to get him to be quiet. I kind of just want to be put on the monitor and left to muddle through it myself without being rushed or argued with. I'm willing to be open minded and try and brand, shape, loft or material, but I won't be pushed into a purchase. It makes fittings pretty tough.

I'm pretty lucky on the cost side. I'm willing to be patient, shop for deals and have a bit of knack for buying and selling (the latter always at fair prices that my buyers are seemingly happy with). Part of my club addiction includes a spreadsheet where I keep a running tally of everything. :) If only I were as good on the stock market....... ;)

Last edited:
Wow thats some into lol. Welcome to THP glad you decided to register

Welcome to THP

Welcome to THP. Nickent as a brand made exceptional equipment and it was designed by one of the best club makers of all time.

Welcome to the forum ryebread!

Great intro there, although I still prefer to blame the clubs, ha!

Welcome back to golf, you sure found the right place to keep you hooked.

:welcome:

Welcome to THP. Nickent as a brand made exceptional equipment and it was designed by one of the best club makers of all time.

Yeah, I hadn't heard of them prior to hitting my dad's driver. My dad is *uhm* frugal, so I naturally figured that was just the cheapest 460 CC driver he could find.

I did some research (here and elsewhere) and was pretty impressed -- particularly with their innovation. They have several models that I would seriously consider.

After getting "burnt" by my bad clubs, I was a little hesitant to think about any of the smaller brands. They've seemingly come a long ways.

Thanks for the warm greetings everyone. I recognize some of you from your posts, so on some level it feels like I already "know" you.

Welcome.. +1 for fitting. GOLFTEC for me has the best club fitting no pressure and they allow you to try before you buy worked great for me went in thinking about TM Burners ended up with complete set of Tour edge exotics..:banana:

Welcome to THP. Good info there.

Welcome to THP! I really liked my Nickent clubs. So much so I gave them to my best friend as enticement to get him back into the game.

Welcome to THP and thanks for a great story. Nickent had a ton of quality equipment, I still have a full set and break them out from time to time.

Nice to meet you! Glad you found your love of the game again!!

Welcome!

Welcome to THP (and back to golf).
The 4 wood you are using is my gamer, can't find any others to kick it out the bag!

Welcome to THP.

Really enjoyed reading your story and glad to see someone else be brought back to a game that so many of us love and clearly a love you have developed as well.

Also, good luck with the lesions.

Welcome to THP.

welcome back and welcome to THP

Great info and experience.

Welcome. This site is the next best thing to an actual equipment fitting!

Welcome and great story.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Welcome to THP. I have also been confirmed a club ho but I just can't help myself:act-up:.Demo days are always a great way to try out new clubs without stress of buying and you can usually hit a larger variety of shafts at demo days.

Welcome!

Back