Are you a gamer or a range pro?

Kmac

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
Recently Ive had some strange range sessions that involved the sh***s, huge slices, fats, thins you name it. Then the next day I go play and for the most part play decent golf. Nothing like my range session just the day before. Then I had a conversation with another THP'er about how some people just get their game on when playing and some people can tear the range up but struggle mightily on the course. So Ive decided I might start going to the range less for ball striking and more for the short game. I'll putt more, chip more and work on 100 yard and in shots. Are you a range pro or a gamer? Talk about it.

I can be both on any given day. Some days I go to the range and slice everything, then go out and play and shoot a decent score. And sometimes I am hitting bombs on the range and won't be able to find the back of the ball on course. It fluctuates for me, but usually if I'm doing well in one area, I'm not going to do well in the opposite. This I have to work on.

For the most part, I'm more comfortable on the course, but I can have some good range sessions. I tend to think less and swing more on the course, which is always a good thing.

I need the range though. It's the only way I've been able to practice the swing that I try not to think about on the course. I agree with you on the short game area. I tend to play my best when I've been working on putting, chipping, and sand shots.

well, I dont go to the range enough to be a pro, I do however hit the ball better on the course after getting to warmup on the range.

Like you, Ive elected for more playing than practicing this year. I do need to spend WAY MORE time on the short game. My putting is ok, but my chipping is gold awful.

I am trying to make myself like the range, but like you I just don't have the same swing that I have on the course. Just last week I hit a bucket while a buddy had a lesson and I maybe had 3 good shots of the bunch. Went and played 9 after that and was en fuego. I guess I am just goal oriented and picking a shot to shoot to on the range is kinda b.s. to me and I don't take it seriously. It is unfortunate because I have some things that I would like to work on.

Its been an interesting thing for me to watch lately. Do I really NEED to go to the range and bang ball after ball and get frustrated and upset? Or is it better to hit a lot of wedges and work on accuracy with the scoring clubs? I know I want more putting and chipping consistency as I lose a lot of strokes in that area so maybe its better to spend more time over at the green.

It sort of depends where I am in my mind too. Good example is that I've sucked with the driver, so I took a lesson, got some advice and drills, and then had to spend time practicing them. I feel pretty good with my irons right now, so I just don't hit a lot balls with them on the range.

Where I used to go to the range to just hit balls I try to go now with a purpose. If I don't have one, I'll usually just go play.

I despise the range except for hitting 15-20 balls before I start a round. I find it way too easily to get into a great groove on the range. Personally, I get more just out of playing a ton as far as feedback and what I need to focus on. I am not a swing tinkerer and instead focus on things like: tempo, keeping my eye on the ball (head down), little flex in the knees - things like that.

When I do what I consider "practice", it is mainly pitches within 75 yards and other short game work.

I used to go to the range a lot but I found I really don't have the focus to spend hours there. I lose focus of what I am aiming for and end up going 'let's see how far I can hit them' which doesn't achieve anything. So lately I've been spending all my Practice time either on course or at the short game area as I find it easier to concentrate there. So in short yes I end up sucking at the range but only because I have a short attention span.

I said a tap tap tappity tap

there is no doubt that I am much better on the course.

i play better on the course for the most part not that my range sessions are usually bad but sometimes i get out there and i do stuff i'll never do on the course for some reason. and im with you i spend more and more time practicing my short game now instead of hitting ball after ball on the range.

I am way better on course except for my driver.

formerly butters35

Range pro by far

Truth! I couldn't believe your range session at Rock Barn. I was nervous for you, then you put the peg in the ground of the 1st tee and all that was gone.

Kmac, you know my answer dude. It's golf season. That means one thing to me.......golfing. I use the range for short game work only these days. Lots of chipping/pitching/putting w/ a sprinkle of some other shots worked in if I feel like it. The range puts no pressure on you to keep your ball in the fairway or to get up and down or to make birdie putts. I've had bad range sessions, and all I think about until I play again is that I hope what I was seeing on the range doesn't translate on the course. That can't be healthy.

I seldom ever get to the range, but I feel it helps my game when I do so. It just seem's like I run from work straight to the course when I get the time to play.

Same.

Beisdes going to the hit a small bucket before a round, I only go to the range maybe once a month. Though I hit the ball well, I never walk away fully happy at the range. I think I try to focus on too much in my swing. On the course though, I can go out, be more relaxed and play better and can really see the results of it all coming together.

The closest ranges to me have such horrendous collection of balls that I really hate going just for the feel on contacting rocks over & over... I try to go a couple of times early in the year just to get my swing loose, but after that the range doesn't help. I like to practice, hit balls around the yard. Go to the putting green, etc. Even hitting a few balls before a round rarely helps. I had a round last summer on the 4th of July when things were really backed up at the course we were playing. Spent 15 - 20 minutes hitting balls. I grabbed an 8 or 9 iron and my driver. Just hitting relaxed shots talking with one of my playing partners. Started hitting drives and was just pounding them without even thinking about it. Was even able to turn em left or right on demand, really feelin in a groove.

We head down to the 1st tee and it was as if I was trying to swing left handed... Couldn't even hit a ball for the 1st few holes...

Gamer. I usually don't go to the range before playing. Show and go baby!!! I have started to go to the range more, but at my course, my membership doesn't include range balls and range balls cost $$- thus I'd just rather play.

If I am at the range before a round, I tend to be a range pro. But I usually go to the range to work out some kinks. I am not a huge an of hitting balls before a round. It just clutters my brain.

The course is where it all happens for me.
I do my range time usually 3/4 of a small bucket all short irons then go through the rest of the Irons briefly. Then game on

I'm a range pro. Can't take it to the course

I have every intention of taking it to the course but then my mind gets all cluttered with lie, wind, ball position, set up, posture, tempo, turn, squaring the club face, keep head down, create lag, roll top hand

I'm a range pro. Can't take it to the course

I am a range pro! I can not carry the range to the course. When I was playing in college I could play BAD on the course then go right to the range and hit any shot that was asked of me. I think it is a mental thing.

Neither.....hahaha... Sometimes I can be a range pro with my driver. For me it's easy to hit that straight at the range.if I'm hitting it bad at the range it's easy to adjust to get it straight because I can keep adjusting my swing until I get it right.make sense?

I suck equally at both. The range lulls me into a false sense of security, especially around here where most are aqua ranges. Having a wide open area to hit into is way different than hitting a fairway, having zilch to aim for is a hindrance. Toss in floating balls that fly the same distances and it's a quagmire of frustration when it doesn't translate over to the course. Being on the course gives me a goal, something to shoot for etc etc. Other than warming up or working out a kink after the round I've just about quit putting a lot of stock into range sessions lately, unless there is something I'm needing to work with mechanics.

Back