Effect of weather on the ball

tequila4kapp

Tom Watson called to say “Hi”
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.5
Potential stupid questions time but as I'm experimenting with finding the right ball, newer to the world of understanding ball dynamics and live in an area where it gets cold I thought I'd ask.

When the weather is colder (as it is now for us Portlanders) would we expect to see better results with a ball that compresses easier or harder?

"Compresses easier" = designed for slower SS, right?

At what temperature would we generally expect to see these effects take place? For example, it is generally in the 50's in Portland these days. Is that a ball-neutral temperature or is that cold enough that we might expect to see better results with a different ball characteristic?

Easier compression for sure. When it gets cold in FL (it does actually get into the 40's and 30's I promise) I'll switch down to say an NXT Tour instead of a ProV1/V1x because the ball just doesn't want to move as far. I've heard you only lose a couple yards per 10 degrees under 70 degrees but from personal experiences, it feels like I lose a club to a club and a half from playing in the 40's vs 70's+. Maybe it's cause I just can't feel my hands haha

tough question, I am not a stats or info junky so I cant tell you about compression in cold weather. I always stick to the ball I know and like but just club up. I guess you could buy a ball like a Top Flite to gain some of the distance lost in the cold.

When it's real cold up here and I'm out golfing I will play a ball with lower compression. Whether it really makes a difference I couldn't tell you.

tough question, I am not a stats or info junky so I cant tell you about compression in cold weather. I always stick to the ball I know and like but just club up. I guess you could buy a ball like a Top Flite to gain some of the distance lost in the cold.

This. I play the same ball year round. Keep it in my pocket in between holes, but that doesn't do a whole lot. Play an extra club. Good news here is that spin will be similar. At least it has been for me, though I'm not running around in 20˚ temps playing golf usually. :D

I play a fair amount of cold weather golf (living in CT) and can tell that the ball doesn't seem to fly as far (almost feel like you are hitting rocks at time) but if the ground is hard (ie frozen), you can get great role. Only problem is that the courses won't let you on them if there is frost, frozen conditions on the course.

When it's put of season I play any non-premium ball. The premium's really don't fly as far in the cold and my game isn;t really on in the winter anyway, so the ball isn;t making a huge difference.In fact, just in the last week or so did I really switch to my full time ball now.

i'm with those that change balls once it drops below say, 55. over 55 i'll play my regular ball (whichever it is at the time) but if it's under 55 i almost always go to the NXT line.

When the pro's play in cooler, nasty weather do they change balls? I don't think so, I think they just club up. Personally I change to a cheaper ball mostly because I tend to lose more in cold (wet) weather because of plugging, bad lies, etc...

Tapped that...

Balls with softer covers are better in cold weather. Being from northern climes there is that much I have found. Distance balls are like hitting real rocks when its cold. Lower compression also helps. All you need to think about is everything shrinks when its cold out. Ball flight will be shorter too, due to the shrunken and denser ball and the shrunken and denser air as well.

Purely speculation on my part but I suspect that modern balls are not affected much at all by temperature changes between 50 an 90*. Older balls of liquid centers, rubber windings and balata covers were, probably, more susceptible to temperature changes.

Everything I know about this topic is second hand. I play the gamer year around and adjust accordingly. But I've heard that lower compression in cool weather.
When I lived in portland I played the Professional year around

My thoughts are that the ball doesn't change much relative to other balls with temperature differences. All of them will fly further in warm weather and fly less in cold weather. If you hit one ball further than another in the winter, then try it in the summer, I'm thinking you will hit it further in the summer as well.

I use the same ball in all weather but use three with two in my pocket to keep them warm and swap them out every hole or two in very cold weather. It takes a lot more club and same ball. The warmer you keep the ball the better it will perform.

Makes them shrink.

I'm less fussy about my balls when it gets colder, and it's usually cold here. My balls are tough and don't mind being out year round, though.

If I have a limiting factor in my game, even in the winter, it's not the ball.

It has been below 70 here every time I have played this year and I have noticed a big difference in distance off the driver. Not sure if it is the temperature or the long off season causing it but I'm a good 25 yards shorter than I was last August.

At what temperatures do people start to club up? 70*, 60*, 50*?

Tapatalkin

At what temperatures do people start to club up? 70*, 60*, 50*?

Tapatalkin

I was playing in the 40's and 50's over the weekend and noticed enough difference that I had to club up.

I was playing in the 40's and 50's over the weekend and noticed enough difference that I had to club up.

That cold up there already! I had 75 yesterday and didn't see much. I wonder if 60 is around the line?

Tapatalkin

We just got a cold front, but it was definitely a shock!

We just got a cold front, but it was definitely a shock!

It is 50 here this morning. That is a little quick for me too.

Tapatalkin

I know 55* with 25 MPH winds does wonders to a ball.

I know 55* with 25 MPH winds does wonders to a ball.

I would say so too. Heck 90* with 25 mph winds does a trick too.

Tapatalkin

I think I'm going to pick up so W/S Duo's this week if the temps stay low like this.

I think I'm going to pick up so W/S Duo's this week if the temps stay low like this.

Nice! I usually just play the same ball. I just usually need to club up.

Tapatalkin

Back