Picking/Testing a putter

cnosil

Reaction score
For drivers and irons we can walk into just about any store and see a simulator or launch monitor and a fitting cart full of shafts to try. While not outside, we get to see numbers, chase results, and see the impact of various shaft/head combinations. Generally speaking we fit the club to our swing.

In the putter area we see walls of putters and a few holes. I hear people say the compared putters and this putter was the winner, I changed putters because my gamer wasn't working for me anymore, or I just needed a different look. How do you pick the putter you put in the bag?
How often do you change putters? How do you know that the putter you picked is the best putter for you. When picking a putter what do you look for and do you adjust your stroke to try and make a particular putter work for you?

Basically how do you know you have the right putter in the bag?

Good thread start. I don't have an answe really. If the ball goes in the hole I have the right putter that day. I'm interested to see what responses you get here.

If I like the look of a putter, it can go in the bag. If I don't like the putter's look, it gets rotated out. My loyalties are fleeting.

I chose heads/designs I like and roll putts with them.no don't adjust my stroke. I don't have a timeframe I would change putters on and it goes when I feel like changing to change or the need to see/feel something different. I have several putters I like in my collection so rotation is with known putters.

Good topic. I've never had an official putter fitting. I've had a lesson with my current one a few years back.

Mostly I go with styles that I've had good experience with in the past.

Plumber Neck blade style
Center Shaft Mid Size Mallet

Seem to be the two styles I most lean toward.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I am going through a change in putters right now - been using the same Ping since 1986 and I think it is a time for something that will help me a bit more. I tried rolling putters in the store and even after a while, I couldn't really say for sure that one was a must buy - I was just frustrating myself and given the store pricing of what I was interested in, I couldn't pull the trigger. I decided that I need to have an extended trial period on the course come spring and over a number of rounds compare a number of putters on greens (not even just practice greens). I was able to figure out what head types and brands I had a preference for (realized that I wanted milled face without insert) and then I went to eBay and started buying (making sure that I was buying at as a favorable price as I could so I could sell what I didn't want to keep). I ended up buying two Scottys (Del Mar and X5), two Odysseys (MXM #7 and MXM #9ht), a Cure (the CX2) and three Bettinardis (Queen Bee #7, Kuchar HM #2 and Inovai). Maybe what I am doing is crazy (ok, probably is crazy) and it did take a pretty good investment overall but my goal is to end up wth 2-3 clear choices to keep and sell the rest and then be happy for many, many years. I suspect that unless I have bad luck on the sales, this will only end up costing me an extra $100-$150 on turning them (though I will likely keep more of them than I should which will be more costly as well). Once I have 2-3 clear choices, I am then planning to go get fit on them to hone in even further (length and grip size). Not only has it been difficult for me to select just one putter, I am also not sure what size grip to go with.

Thus far having primarily rolled them inside on our artificial putting green, I am pretty happy with the variety and quality of these. My first choice thus far is the Scotty X5 (face balanced mallet seems good for my stroke) but also really like many of the others. I am looking forward to playing around with these as the season begins.

Last edited:
I only have 1 putter. One of the early Models of the Odyssey two balls with the white hot insert. It's been in my bag for 7+ years now (2.5 actual playing seasons) I want to try a couple of specific putters, but I don't know that anything will kick it out of the bag.

Feel off the face is really important for me. I want one that feels "right" I won't even try to describe it, it's just the feeling I like. When I test potential putters for me feel is king. I dont' want to have to adjust my stroke or my stance, so I like a lot of the long grip counter-balanced putters. My putter is cut way down, I think it's 32" now, so the longer grips on those putters let me keep my stance the same, since the grips are designed to be used choked up. It's maybe a mostly mental thing, but I've always like Odyssey putters, especially the white inserts, they just feel the best to me.

I have several different options and just take out to the course the one I am rolling best on my practice green. Prior to a month or so ago, I would buy any 100% milled SeeMore that fit my eye. Basically only their blades. Do not have a place nearby to test putters so I wait until I find them at a price that I know I will not lose money on them if they don't work for me. I have very recently begun to branch out into other brands that are not center, or near center, shafted. Will likely take a little while to get adjusted back to a heel shafted putter with a little offset.

Changing your putting stroke to better fit your putter isn't a good thing to do, IMO. What I look for is a putter that has some heft and also a fairly substantial sight line. Both these help me get the ball started off correctly by helping me aim and then adding some stability to my stroke.

In testing putters, I need to feel comfortable with it's look and feel. So I just swing it back and forth a bit and pretend I'm putting, assessing how it feels in the hands. If it passes my first tests, then I will roll some putts. What I'm looking for here is whether the ball goes along the intended line, and also whether or not I have good speed control. Then I putt about five or six balls to see the consistency - how small a grouping I have, or how many are sunk, from maybe twelve to fourteen feet. Then I go home and come back another day to try it all over again. If I still like it, then it's a contender.

I used to change putters about once a year. But I have settled into a Scotty Cameron GoLo 5 2014 model. It's the most natural feeling putter I've ever gamed. I didn't want to like it because of the cost, but results were too good to ignore.

I narrow mine down first with the head shape I like and the weight I like. After that it just what feels the best and what I am comfortable lining up.

I like some type of mallet or semi mallet and have had a few blades, anything but center shaft to start with.

Then find the biggest test green and roll it, the one that makes 3 in a row from 20 ft out wins. Have tried and owned quite few from one of the 1st Rife 2 bar (which I bought out of their office near Orlando) to Heavy Putters, Scottys, TM Spiders and Several Odyssey 2 ball versions. Next up will most likely be a Bettinardi, just a great looking putter and that counts ever so slightly. Maybe even one from Australia! I hope to see and fondle some new ones tomorrow and later in the week at the PGA show.

As to when to change, when they quit going in, simple as that for me. One day it is just time to cut the ties and try another Model.

Trial and error for me with putters. After 40+ years of playing, I know what works and what doesn't.

And, I'd never buy a club based only on computer data hit only inside. Never buy a putter either based only on how well you putt inside some store, unless you have a level in your pocket.

Horrors!! you aren't suggesting the putting greens at big box stores are sloped to the holes are you :chicken:Is is kind of funny they all do seem to go in if you get them close. I still will buy the one that makes the most in a row....usually means it fits my stroke more than anything.

Trial and error for me with putters. After 40+ years of playing, I know what works and what doesn't.

And, I'd never buy a club based only on computer data hit only inside. Never buy a putter either based only on how well you putt inside some store, unless you have a level in your pocket.

I used to be all over the place until I was fit for a putter and we discovered that a center shafted model suits me best. I will say that I like flow necks too..... :act-up:

Feel and weight. When you pick up the putter you like you'll know.

I don't change putters very often, and as far as style, I've been putting with the same blade style for years. Every year I'll get in a slump at some point and toy with the idea of switching but always go back to my old faithful. I have tried many in the pro shop that feels good or I like the look but I usually just stick to what I have.
If I'm struggling with my putting, I usually go back to the putting green and work on the basics and then I'm happy with my old putter again.

I bought my last putter (Ping TR B65) at my pro shop. I was able to spend an hour on the putting green trying different models before I picked that model. Actually it was cheaper than the big box stores. It used to be common to be able to take a putter out and try it before your buy it.. Then again bullseye putters didnt cost 350.00

For me back in 67-68 I got a Bulls eye putter a lot of them then. Used it till 2001 then got a s/c remake of the Bulls eye. Had them cut down to 28 inches they have long heavy grips 21 inches. then last winter after I retired and reading online my idea was a 52 inch broomstick with a 450 gram head 78* shaft cut to 28 inches long grip also lead tape under the grip for swing weight. Use them all from time to time. They are the only putters I have ever had.

Normally I just follow CAA_Beat and T2GRN18 around and pick up their discards :embarrassed:

There are a few different shapes that I like as far as overall aesthetics and how they set up behind the ball. Chances are at some point in the year one of the putters on hand will be the "hot" one and will be the one I'm carrying with me. I gravitate toward center shaft and flow neck style putters, blade to mid mallet shape.

I don't change putters very often. My last change came in the fall of 2014 by chance and peer pressure. (Thanks @Rambler)
My last putter change before that was 6-7 years prior.

When I'm rolling a putter whether I'm looking for something new or just getting out and trying new things I look for a few things:

1. Feel - There has to be a soft, solid feel. I don't like anything that 'pings' or has a metallic feel at impact. Flush and soft.
2. Roll - I watch to make sure that the ball is rolling straight and smooth. If there's any hop or hint of it rolling anything but smooth, I let it go. It needs to roll nice.
3. Confidence - Do I feel confident rolling it? I've had putters that seemed to roll well and felt good, but I still didn't have the confidence rolling it. Is that mental? Of course....but golf is an extremely mental game and I don't need anything extra throwing me off. I've got enough with my full swing issues. haha! :)

I did a custom fitting with Edel. They focus on your aim to determine the head shape, alignment lines and shaft shape that allows you to aim at the target first. Then the weight is adjusted to give you the best feel for distance control.
I have become a totally difference person on the putting greens after the fitting and my confidence level is at an all time high. I never doubt the putter now, it's all user error.
Even if you end up not buying from them(can't really imagine) you'll get a lot out of it.
I don't intend to change my putter for a long time. I had my previous putter for about 5 years.

From where I buy putters there's this putting mat. I start 3 feet out and keep holing it until I'm actually putting from outside the mat, around 8 feet out

There have been a couple of putters that have passed that test, and that's how I chose my present gamer.

I usually don't change putters, I had won one in a raffle a few years back which I replaced with my current gamer. I have pings and Camerons, but I like my gamer the most.

Picking/Testing a putter

Like most I seem to fall in love with a different putter every time I walk into a golf shop...and too often I walk out with one. I should just have my wife pick out a putter, take away my wallet, and say "play with this". I have changed putters way too many times...i am committed to playing with just one putter in 2016 (fingers crossed)

My point is however you decided to go about it either through a fitting or just trial and error you will likely find success by sticking with the club for awhile.

Interesting responses. Seems like the majority or people that responded pick a putter based on how it feels and looks and maybe roll a few putts. Some people thought I was looking for advice for myself and others have used the same putter for years.

My strategy for picking a putter is simply being able to hit my intended line no matter how long of a stroke I am taking. I put a dime about 16" in front of a ball and use varying length strokes to roll the ball over the dime. If I don't do well hitting the center of the dime, it isn't the correct putter. I never worry about making a putt, because it is something I have absolutely no control over. A perfectly struck putt may still not go in the hole, but if you can't start a putt on your intended line, you face an uphill challenge in trying to figure out distance control with that putter much less making putts consistently.

If you switch putters often, give that a try and see which putter works the best for you.

Back