Custom Project X Shaft Review Thread

Hit the LM yesterday with the Vapor Pro/PX combo to compare again to the TM M1, and in the process was able to get some numbers for this combo. Set at 11.5, I was generating about 2000 rpms of spin at around 11-12* of launch and carrying to about 235 on good strikes. Felt like I could get more out of it, so I dialed the head up to 12.5* and let fly. Launch immediately went up to around 14-15* and I picked up 10 or so yards of carry with a spin increase of only a couple hundred rpms.

Tinkering with the M1/TiNi combo I was able to nearly equal this, but the feel of the VP/PX combo is worlds away. The sensation of this shaft just unleashing on the ball is really something, but it's not springy in any way. Just smooth and powerful.

As for on course results, I haven't really played in the last 2 weeks, but previously I'll be honest and say I haven't really been driving it all that well. I know I have solid driving in me with this combo, because I've hit some astoundingly long drives with it (including my first one at Balboa) and had some pretty consistent rounds, but I've been getting flat lately. When I stay vertical and make a smooth swing, I murder this thing. Got a round planned up in BC next weekend though where I hope to show some improvement.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I played one round in the 3 weeks prior to this past week due to work. Got in 5 rounds this week on vacation. I'll look over my stats from the 5 rounds and post them later tonight with a review of the shaft.

I'm hoping to get out on the course next Saturday. If I can it will be the first time in 2 weeks that I've picked up a club. Crazy couple weeks of work. Definitely will keep updating whenever I can get out. I'm really trying to find some time to play in the coming weeks since I know the season is winding down up here in NY.

Agree with the lack of playing golf. I've only been twice since the SD trip. With the days getting shorter, there's just no time to play after work and the weekends are out with 2 little kiddos.

I'm hoping to get to the range at least this week and put some thoughts out there. Just not a lot of rounds left with winter coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys let's remember that thousands of people are seeing this thread for reviews and to keep the work and weather updates in a different thread. This should be firmly about he shaft reviews.

Thanks.

Had a 3 week layoff from golf but got back to it with a vengeance last week, playing 5 rounds with the Project X custom shaft. The first two rounds were a little wonky as I was not feeling my swing with very little recent play. The third round was a bit better, and then by the fourth and fifth round I felt like I had found something and hit the driver shaft much better.

Here's a quick look at driving stats for each of the five rounds:

Round 1 Lookout Mountain:
Hit driver on 12 holes and hit 5 fwy's
a little all over this round. Some pop ups. Some pulled left. Then late in the round had three drives in a row off to the right. Rust was strong this round for sure. Maybe only 1 drive I'd call "strong".

Round 2 Gainey Ranch
Shortest course I played this week and hit driver 10 holes, hitting 5 FWY
Hit 2 drives that were real good. Most misses were out to the right. Still battling the swing a bit.

Round 3 Desert Forest
very tough driving course. Used driver 14 holes and hit 8 FWY
Swing was feeling better this day, but the tighter course with penal desert misses didn't help on a few drives I pulled.
Hit 3 or 4 that were really good drives here.

Round 4 Talking Stick North
Best driving day of the trip. 4 round in 5 days so swing was the best too.
Hit driver on 14 holes and hit 10 FWY. Big generous fairways here also really helped.
Eliminated the pulls I struggled with the day before. Hit 5 drives that were very good. And while shorter than Spivey and Tanker most of the day, I think I had one hole were I outdrove them both.

Round 5 Mirror Lake - Lake Course
back at my home course.
Hit Driver on 14 holes and hit 8 FWY
Really only had 2 bad drives this day. Felt more like my swing was on point. Most of the misses were just off the fairway.

Over the 5 rounds hit 57% fairways. 23% of my misses were to the right. 7% were to the left. 13% were missed (hazard - traps, lakes, desert)

What I'm most impressed with in the shaft is the higher launch. That was the one struggle I had with the test shaft - a low launch. I told that to Don at the Project X event and also mentioned how a liked the loading zone with my slow swing speed. The tweaks he made to the custom shaft to launch higher certainly are working. When my swing is on point the shaft really delivers. My game has been a struggle the last 4 months and still don't feel like I've given this shaft my best swings. Looking forward to seeing what I do with it when that happens.

It was chilly (cloudy, 45-50*) today but I finally got out for the first time in 2 weeks. Played 18 at my home course...

Hole #1: Hit a great drive right down the middle with a mid ball flight. One of the best drives I hit all day. Ball was in a spot where I would typically see on a good drive in the summer.

Hole #2: Caught one way off the heel. Started pretty far left but faded hard and wound up in the right side of the fairway. Was probably about 40-50 yards short of where I typically am, however this was all a result of a terrible swing.

Hole #3: Hit a solid drive down the left side with a mid ball flight. Ball was in an area I typically see on a solid drive.

Hole #4: Dogleg left, aimed to cut off the dogleg and hit a huge mid-high push fade. Wound up in the right rough with 250 yards left to the hole on a par 4. Worst drive I hit all year on this hole and couldn't even go for the green. I think this was where I saw the weather really play a factor in distance but most of it had to do with another terrible swing.

Hole #8: Another mid-high push fade that left me about 50 yards short of where I typically am and in the rough. Thought for a moment this was going to go into the hazard but just cleared it. Another pathetic swing that no shaft or club could save.

Hole #9: Finally got back on track with a solid drive down the middle with a mid ball flight. Was probably about 10 yards short of where I'd typically be in the summer but that was due to weather and little run out.

Hole #10: Hit a real solid drive down the left side. One of the best swings I put on a ball all day. Again, was about 10-15 yard short of where I would typically be but that was expected.

Hole #11: Hit a good drive down the right side of the fairway. Again, a little short of where I typically am but a solid shot.

Hole #14: Hit a mid-high fade that wound up just off the fairway in the right rough. Unfortunately, this is a dogleg right where anything right is blocked by trees. I was aiming down the left side so even though I was just off the fairway I missed my target by a considerable margin.

Hole #15: Probably up there with hole #1 as my best drive of the day. Mid height bullet right down the middle that was in an area I typically see over the summer.

Hole #16: Hit this one solid but pulled it a little left. Was in the rough in some trees but still had a shot. Ball was right around where I would typically see when I go left on this hole.

Hole #17: Hit a real weak push fade into the rough. Was about 30 yards back from where I typically see. Bad swing, bad result.

Overall: 7/12 fairways hit. Not bad considering it was chilly and my swing was rusty. Also, very happy to play all 18 with the same ball. Considering the amount of leaves on the ground and a 2 week layoff, I'll take that any day. I really thought that this shaft had it's best moments on my real bad swings. I thought it saved a couple from going OB. I definitely see less side spin with this shaft than previous shafts I played. Distances were short but that was with all clubs across the board due to weather and I expected this. Wound up shooting an 81 which was great for me in these conditions. Biggest reason for this was keeping the ball in play. Only one drive (#14) did I have an obstructed approach. This might of been my last round of the year, I'll see. I'm a bit if a wimp and it's not that fun for me playing golf when it's in the 40's and cloudy, haha. I still will definitely be hitting the range if I'm not getting out on the course and will report back on any session.

Probably my best driving day with the custom shaft happened today. Hit it on 14 of 14 non par 3's hitting 10 fairways. 3 of the misses were very slight pushes and 2 of those found fairway bunkers and one was just 2 yards off the fairway. The other miss was a pull left.

Really struck the ball well today. High launch. Good distance. Hitting the lines I wanted all day.

Really love what I did today with the shaft and hope this is a sign of more to come.

Had an ugly day today, hit only 5/12 fairways with driver. My flight overall was awesome when I was hitting it well, and 2 of those misses were only off the fairway by a step. Problem was, rough at this course is super chewy haha. Cant blame the shaft though, my swing just came unraveled on the back 9 - I hit 4/6 fairways with driver on the front. Chilly, damp day with heavy air so the ball was going nowhere, so distances were 15-20 yards less than normal - but that was the case for all of us.

Overall I love this combo still, just my swing is crap right now haha

Another great driving day today. Hit 11 of 14 fairways with the custom shaft. That included all the holes on the front nine and the first two on the back in a row. And all were strong drives for me. A good swing is rewarded with this, and it just looks spectacular too!

Another great driving day today. Hit 11 of 14 fairways with the custom shaft. That included all the holes on the front nine and the first two on the back in a row. And all were strong drives for me. A good swing is rewarded with this, and it just looks spectacular too!
Do you know anything but great driving days? Maybe just good ones every so often? :alien:

Had an ugly day today, hit only 5/12 fairways with driver. My flight overall was awesome when I was hitting it well, and 2 of those misses were only off the fairway by a step. Problem was, rough at this course is super chewy haha. Cant blame the shaft though, my swing just came unraveled on the back 9 - I hit 4/6 fairways with driver on the front. Chilly, damp day with heavy air so the ball was going nowhere, so distances were 15-20 yards less than normal - but that was the case for all of us.

Overall I love this combo still, just my swing is crap right now haha

On the range prior to the round and on the front side you were hitting nice penetrating fades on command. Very nice shots.

By the back we were all trying to kill it to overcome the thick air and it showed.

On the range prior to the round and on the front side you were hitting nice penetrating fades on command. Very nice shots.

By the back we were all trying to kill it to overcome the thick air and it showed.
Thanks man! Yeah, I absolutely love this thing when I'm making decent swings. Fair point, thick air probably not helping. I need to figure out why my tee game has this tendency to go to hell all of a sudden though. Not sure if like you said I'm just trying to murder it, or if I'm sneaking towards flat or something. Hoping a lesson next week will suss that out.

Awkard silence was hitting some great drives with his Project X shaft today. So much so that I asked him if I could hit his driver on the last few holes. Wow, I should have never done that. It was wonderful feeling! Needless to say ponder mode has been reached now and I have Mike to thanks. Great shaft he made there!

Awkard silence was hitting some great drives with his Project X shaft today. So much so that I asked him if I could hit his driver on the last few holes. Wow, I should have never done that. It was wonderful feeling! Needless to say ponder mode has been reached now and I have Mike to thanks. Great shaft he made there!

+1 ^^^^^

That shaft is so stable through out. It just wants to send the ball straight. A great combo for Mike, but s true testament to how each guy was unique y fitted bc Mike was hitting some great drives all day.

Of the drives that I hit well (there were about 3-4 strays) they felt great. I am glad that Nate and Mike were able to hit it and their thoughts about the stability of the shaft is the exact same feeling I get with it. This was my first round with it in few weeks and it just seems if you put a good swing on it paired with the 915 head the ball just wants to launch high and straight. I was halfway thinking Nate was going to slide a piece of paper over after the round and make an offer on the the replica raw shaft I have sitting at home.

Of the drives that I hit well (there were about 3-4 strays) they felt great. I am glad that Nate and Mike were able to hit it and their thoughts about the stability of the shaft is the exact same feeling I get with it. This was my first round with it in few weeks and it just seems if you put a good swing on it paired with the 915 head the ball just wants to launch high and straight. I was halfway thinking Nate was going to slide a piece of paper over after the round and make an offer on the the replica raw shaft I have sitting at home.

The way you were hitting it on the front 9 made the thoughts of me trying it start to creep in on the back. Coupled with the fact I've wanted to hit the D2 as well I'm glad you agreed! I remember asking you on the 8th hole (par 5 I think) after you hit if you preferred to hit the cutter or not. You lost it just slightly right but still just off the fairway. It just seemed like every drive you hit was straight ahead. It was fun to watch.

I need to find something that is what your specs are. It was perfect! I did have the offer written out on a napkin inside the clubhouse after the round but I think the waitress picked it up by mistake. I think she thought she was getting one heck of a tip for lunch. If you ever want to send that raw one on a very long and extended vacation I do encourage you to let me know! I would be happy to accommodate!!

Got my custom shaft out on the course today. Paired it with the Cobra FlyZ head.
I guess my swing has changed, because I was hitting solid draws with this club today. Which, for a guy who usually cuts the ball, is not a good thing.
I hit fairways on 1 and 2 this morning - both low shots with a slight draw. Absolutely perfect position for me, with expected yardage.
On hole 4, I hit a great shot, terrific flight - unfortunately, straight but right and in the desert, result was a lost ball. Re-tee, a beautiful high, straight, down the middle 260 yd carry, no roll. Ball actually came backwards a yard or so.
Hole 5 - into a headwind, beautiful high, slight cut, ended up on the right side of the fairway (dogleg left). I think it was around 230 yds or so.
Hole 7 - Not sure what happened here, but the ball started out straight, high flight. About 3/4 of the way to the fairway, the ball seemed to knuckle, move right, and drop. I ended up just short of the fairway, 230 yd drive, in the desert. Disappointing result on what should have been a great drive.
Hole 9 - slight pull with a cut, ended up with a little forward roll, about 260 on the left side of the fairway.
Hole 10 - Straight, high flight, probably 260 uphill.
Hole 11 - mid draw, just off the grass in the desert. Hit a provisional anyway, same mid flight, another draw, but this one started more right and ended up on the center cut line of the fairway.
At this point, I jumped forward, because I was on top of the guys mowing the green.
Hole 16 - beautiful mid flight draw, one too far (and in the desert, but I found it and it was playable), the re-tee was down the left side of the fairway. Not sure of the yardage, as I was playing a different tee box than I usually do.
Hole 18 - Push right, in the desert, but playable, probably 240 or so. I did not re-tee on this hole, as I figured I could find the ball.

Overall - I missed more fairways than I hoped, but part of that was due to my usual alignment down the left with a cut and the ball drew. I can accept that. The two I lost right were great swings and great contact. I will chalk it up to poor ball position.
Still, with an improving swing, this shaft and head combo is perfect! If I can get my alignment and consistency down, I might actually be able to play golf well!!

God I was roasting the Vapor with this today at the range. It's just the range, but damn it was fun, and very reassuring after I had a day Saturday where I got into a lot of trouble off the tee.

Got this shaft out for a few holes today. Mixed it in with another driver.
On the holes I hit this one -
Straight, mid-high ball flight on #4.
Long, straight and mid ball flight on #7, carried at least 260 (as I cleared the longest part of the desert before the fairway, leaving myself 240 to the hole on a 530 yd par 5).
Mid flight with a slight cut on #9.
Mid-high cut on #10, an uphill 375 yd dogleg right par 4 where I was left with 115 to the hole.
Push fade, right on #11 but in the rough, mid flight, about 240 yds.

Bottom line - the dispersion with this driver is still very much to my liking. I get really good trajectory and plenty of length when I put a good swing on the ball.

And, of course, the design is fantastic!

Got the PX/Vapor Pro combo out on the course today at North Bellingham (links style course). Hit 6/12 fairways when I used it - not spectacular, but overall not bad considering the high wind conditions. Drives were pretty short vs normal, due to very wet conditions. Hole by hole:

Hole 1: Pretty low on the face with a fade. Overdid the fad and it ended up in a bunker. Less than normal distance due to thin contact and the bunker.
Hole 2: Very solid drive, around average carry with a slight fade. FW.
Hole 3: Into a firm breeze, hit it OK but a little low and faded. Shortish. Leaked off right side of the fairway into the rough by a pace.
Hole 6: Another low face drive, but solid result with a lower flying fade. A little shorter than normal. FW.
Hole 9: Into a strong wind. Hit almost perfect with a slight fade and center face, but got very little distance due to the wind. One pace into the right rough.
Hole 10: Into strong wind again. Hit slightly low face, but solid with a 10 yard fade. FW but short again due to wind.
Hole 11: More strong wind. Solid contact but overfaded it and ended up in a bunker.
Hole 12: Into strong wind. Got afraid of trouble on the right side and hit an ugly smother hook into the thick rough on the left.
Hole 13: Hit very nicely and solid distance with a slight fade. FW.
Hole 15: Out of nowhere, I topped it into the crap. Argh. Re-teed and hit a solid low-ish ball to the left side of the fairway.
Hole 17: Solid drive - pushed a little right but still stayed in the fairway. Had a slight fade like I prefer.
Hole 18: Best drive of the day. Roasted right up the middle with a baby fade, 245 yards with no roll (course was wet).

Overall, a pretty decent day with the driver, but need to not get lazy and top balls damnit!

Played 18 at an away course today. Hit the Project X custom shaft on 13/14 non par 3's. Hit 8 fairways. Only had 1 big miss, which was an OB. Got a little unfortunate and hit the cart path which caused the ball to go into a back yard.

My swing was a little loose early and was hitting push fade after push fade. Still getting solid distance, just not getting the face squared properly. Was definitely a swing issue as it happened with a few irons today too. By the back nine I'd gotten it under control. Hit 5 of 6 fairways with driver on the back nine, all with very solid distance ( 1 hole I hit 5W off the tee).

Was hitting this at my lesson today, and the pro and the other guy working at the shop keyed in on it and asked about it, so I got to tell them the whole story. They were both absolutely astounded a) at what we got to do and b) that I got TWO custom shafts, one of which I rolled myself.

I guess I'm still a little in disbelief too haha. THP rocks!

Got the shaft out this weekend. The ball flight is just so nice! I put a couple to the back tees of the practice range, around 270 uphill. On the course, I lost a couple right, but distance was really good. Most drives carried between 245 and 265.
I really enjoy this shaft - I feel like a broken record but the dispersion and flight are really nice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if this has come up for anyone, but what tip diameter are these custom shafts? I'm looking to retip my raw finished one for TaylorMade.

Also, should we be concerned about getting the raw shaft wet, since it doesn't have any sort of coating on it? Will that foul the fiber in any way? Wondering because in case folks didn't know, it rains a lot in Washington haha.

Back