Taylormade Burner SuperLaunch Irons Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This new set from Taylormade just came in and is a replacement for their Burner Plus irons that have been out for quite a while now. This is for the SGI category and we are putting them through a full testing.

Here is the review of them.

The Hackers Paradise Taylormade Burner SuperLaunch Irons Review

770749433_FQExj-L-1.jpg

770749406_Q6g3m-L-1.jpg

770749372_EG4Hk-L-1.jpg

770749339_9P5pB-L-1.jpg

770749297_EoXtg-L-1.jpg

Last edited:
Have you used low profile irons before? (At least they look like they are low profile)

• Admin
I have. I have tested these on the range and used them for 9 holes. They fly high and straight. Hard to look at when you first start swinging with them, but after a few swings, I was okay with the look.

They are in the hands of some testers now that play SGI irons, so I look forward to their feedback.

very narrow looking- at least in the pics they look like they lean more towards a Niblick shape than a standard iron. As SGI's do they come with Hybrids at the top? If so do they have the same low profile?

The top line looks massive or maybe its just the pictures.

• Admin
very narrow looking- at least in the pics they look like they lean more towards a Niblick shape than a standard iron. As SGI's do they come with Hybrids at the top? If so do they have the same low profile?

3-PW in irons. But the long irons are very hybrid like.

The top line looks massive or maybe its just the pictures.

It is a large topline.

Why wouldn't you just buy a set of hybrid irons like the a7os if these are "supposed to play like hybrids"?

I don't get it.

• Admin
Why wouldn't you just buy a set of hybrid irons like the a7os if these are "supposed to play like hybrids"?

I don't get it.

They are not necessarily to play like hybrids. this entire set is SGI and similar to others like it are designed to help an amateur golfer get the ball up in the air higher and hit it straighter. It is not just about the long irons as the entire set is like this.

Here is the press release for them.

The revolutionary performance of TaylorMade's Burner® iron has made it the best-selling iron model in the United States, and has helped thousands of golfers elevate their iron games to an entirely new level. But although the Burner iron is engineered to appeal to a very wide range of player types, the fact remains that it isn't for everybody. There are golfers, mainly slower swingers and players who produce a naturally low ball flight, who can't launch the Burner high enough to enjoy the full benefits of the club. As easy as the Burner is to launch high and long, we needed something even easier. Enter the Burner SuperLaunch, an iron specifically designed to be spectacularly forgiving and easy to get in the air, allowing a certain segment of players – mainly slower swingers and low-ball hitters -- to get more distance. In addition, Burner SuperLaunch iron's generous offset helps straighten a slice and promote a draw. Burner SuperLaunch irons are also engineered to deliver tremendous forgiveness from end-to-end (heel to the toe) and top to bottom (topline to leading edge). In fact, it's the most forgiving iron ever from TaylorMade. That makes it a great iron for high-handicappers with patterns of inconsistent ball-striking. In fact, Burner SuperLaunch irons boast the highest MOI of any TaylorMade iron, ever. Multifunctional, Beveled Sole Promotes High Launch

The first thing you notice about Burner SuperLaunch irons is that each features a wide, multifunctional sole, which is key to establishing the low and deep CG location that makes every one of these irons so easy to get high in the air. However, each sole is strategically beveled to reduce the degree of interaction with the turf. That means you get the low-deep CG-positioning benefits of a large sole, yet it plays like a much smaller, narrower sole. When you rest a Burner SuperLaunch iron behind the ball, you'll notice the substantial topline, which contributes to the exceptional stability and forgiveness. TaylorMade engineers cambered the topline's rearward edge to give it a downward slant, resulting in a more dynamic appearance. Individually-designed Long-irons, Mid-irons and Short-irons
Like the Burner irons, the Burner SuperLaunch long-irons, mid-irons and short-irons were designed separately, which is clear when you see the long-irons, which boast a decidedly low-profile shape compared to the rest of the set. This shape, when combined with the wide sole and deep cavity, help make Burner SuperLaunch long-irons so much easier to launch at lower swing speeds. The low-profile shape also makes the long-irons look easy to hit, too. On the opposite end of the set, Burner SuperLaunch short-irons have a traditional face-height and profile, while the middle-irons are of medium-profile, about halfway between the traditional profile of the short-irons and low-profile of the long-irons. Progressive Face Thickness throughout the Set

Progressive face thickness throughout the set has the thinnest faces in the long-irons for higher COR, faster ball speed and better weight distribution and thicker faces in the short-irons for better feel. Inverted Cone Technology in every Burner SuperLaunch iron helps expand the area of the clubface that delivers fast ball speed to promote more distance on off-center hits. Of course, the most critical performance benefit of Burner SuperLaunch is how easily they launch the ball and how high they launch the ball. Slower swingers will find it a breeze to launch these irons on an extremely high flight and with the spin necessary to keep the ball in the air long enough to achieve significant added carry, and when the ball comes down it will land steeply and softly. New Grooves Design

Burner SuperLaunch irons incorporate a new TaylorMade groove design that conforms to the USGA's new ruling on grooves, which will be enforced in high-level competition starting in 2010 and in recreational golf starting in 2024. Availability and Pricing for Burner SuperLaunch

The standard set of Burner SuperLaunch irons includes 4-iron through attack wedge, and will be offered at a street price of $599 with steel shafts and $799 with graphite. A 3-iron and sand wedge are also offered separately. Burner SuperLaunch irons are offered in four shaft flexes – S, R, M, L. The Burner SuperLaunch ladies' set features its own unique purple color palette. Burner SuperLaunch irons will become available starting on April 1, 2010.

So these are positioned after the Buners in the TM line of irons? R9 - Burners - Burner SL?

That is correct. The Burner Plus was their SGI previously and this is replacing those.

I dont know if I would buy them, just on looks, but I would be very interested in hitting them. I dont care for the bulky look. I love how they priced them at 599. I think that alone is a big selling point for a newer golfer.

Playing with these tomorrow and actually really looking forward to it. Very different but the flight is very high and very straight.

Got to hit these today and actually liked them for what they are. I am not sure I could game them full time of course, but for SGI, they worked very well. We had a few testers try them out that normally play SGI irons and they all really liked the new look and performance. Curious to see how the rest of the testing will go.

They seem the same as the Burners.

These look a little big (topline and sole) for me, but I can see the appeal and the market for this type of SGI set. I love TaylorMade and the fact they are continually innovating.

These look a little big (topline and sole) for me, but I can see the appeal and the market for this type of SGI set. I love TaylorMade and the fact they are continually innovating.

AH,
I agree that there is certainly an appeal to some. The sole and topline are very large and could not be used by everybody. This set by TM needed to be replaced. Burner Plus irons have been out for a long time, or so it seems, and this set is a great next progression for them.

Another update, these are in the hands of the testers right now and the feedback is coming in this week. So far it seems as though the people that are playing SGI irons really like what TM has come up with for this set. Extreme high and straight.

All feedback has been given and we are just working on putting this review together for everybody. Expect it in the next week or so.

Could see 3i, 4i, Superlaunch paired with "regular" Burners. Very interested to read the reviews.

Could see 3i, 4i, Superlaunch paired with "regular" Burners. Very interested to read the reviews.

I think there would be a pretty large gap due to shaft length. The Burners are longer in each iron. But it could be done definitely.

These really do look a lot like the Niblick 56. Are they as heavy as the Niblick and do they have a similar feel? I really like the weightiness and feel of the Niblick so it would be great to have a set of irons that play the same way.

They are not as heavy, and the feel is more iron like than Niblick like

Back