help me pick out a new set of clubs

In the Wilson realm, I recently picked up a set of the Di9 irons, and I think they are phenomenal (under $200 lightly used from 3balls--got lucky with my timing). Great looking, not shovely, nice looking at address, sweet feel, and super easy to hit. Give them a nice smooth swing, and the ball flys, with a good ball flight. The uniflex steel shaft is perfect for my swing, which is kind of between a stiff and regular (though I would go regular in steel if I had to choose). I also have a set of the Wilson Ci7 irons, which are great as well, but the Di9s are a better fit for me at this point in time. The Di9s are definitely worth a look for any mid-high handicapper. I have not hit the D-FY clubs.

Re: help me pick out a new set of clubs

computergeek13 said:
what are the selling points of the superfast driver? i mean- do they give more loft off the tee-long distance - help with a nice draw? how would you compare that to the r9 460?

Lighter, helps you swing the club faster. It's pretty forgiving.

what about these ping sets stands out? Also, what is difference between colored "dots"?

Ping g10 - yellow, green, black, blue dot
ping g15 - yellow, green, black, blue dot
Ping rapture v2, yellow, green, black, blue dot

Which are the oldest, which are the newest - are they all in the same category as far as game improvement goes?

thanks!

also i have always played a sort of blade putter - very similar to the SI seemore models.

Which are the newest seemores? what makes the mseries platinum so much more expensive than the FGB and SI putters?

What about the Private Reserve?

is it just better materials? etc? or what makes them standout?

definately want to add one of these babies to the bag.

As far as a fitting goes - will they measure putter lengths and lie angles too? or is the putter more a preference driven decision made by the buyer?

Ping G10 are the oldest (just a few years old). Dots signify different fitting clubs. They are all Game Improvement clubs with the Rapture line being targeted as the most forgiving.

also i have always played a sort of blade putter - very similar to the SI seemore models.

Which are the newest seemores? what makes the mseries platinum so much more expensive than the FGB and SI putters?

What about the Private Reserve?

is it just better materials? etc? or what makes them standout?

definately want to add one of these babies to the bag.

They are made differently (process) with softer metals and a different feel.

I just bought new clubs last week, im right around your size and shoot pretty much the same scores as you, and after trying pretty much every club out there, i went with mizuno mx-300. they felt great and were the best clubs i hit and i hit all the game improvement clubs out there, after the mx-300 i had the callaway diablo edges. So you might want to try out some mizuno's as well if you get a chance.

He may be looking for a little more forgiveness than the MX-300s. No doubt they are great irons, but they have a smaller club head as well as virtually no offset.

He may be looking for a little more forgiveness than the MX-300s. No doubt they are great irons, but they have a smaller club head as well as virtually no offset.

yea thanks for all your help - i will certainly try as many as i can - i would feel better with a larger clubface - that paired with some lessons should give me the confidence i have never really had in all my time golfing.

Yeah, if anything, he would likely want to look at the MX-100s, or maybe the MX-200s. But the MX-300s really seem to be lower on the forgiveness scale.

I was returning a club at Golfsmith today, and I of course had to stop and hit some of the irons in the demo area. I hit the Callaway Diablo Edge, Taylormade R9, Taylormade Burner Plus, and the Nike VR Full Cavity. Unfortunately, they did not have a demo club of the Nike Machspeed out there yet, but I looked at the Machspeed over in the iron section, and they look very nice. Much better looking in person than online. Anyway, all of the irons I hit with were nice, but the Diablo Edge did feel very good. Very forgiving, and I could tell they'd have plenty of flight. The VR Full Cavity were probably the least forgiving out of the ones I tried, relatively speaking. I wouldn't kick my Di9s to the curb for the Diablo Edge, especially considering the price difference, but they do seem to be the real deal.

The comparison of irons for Mizuno with these others in forgiveness would be the MX-1000s if you ask me. Larger club face, etc...

went to golftec today- went pretty much as you had said JB - swing flaws mostly - scheduled some lessons in the next few weeks - hope to get the swing "fixed" then buy a new set of clubs.

Did uncover some "good" things in the swing - but the "bad" looked really awful on video. Funny how fluid the swing feels in real life.... then you see it side by side with tiger or ernie els and you want to puke. Video hides no error. lol.

Did take a look at the cleveland irons (those look like a whole set of hybrids ), diablo's, and taylor mades they had there- reasonably priced. well thanks for the advice - check back when im finished fixing the swing.

dont undersand what all these numbers are... for the most part my address was the only good thing heh.

Motion Measurements ("After" Swing), measured in degrees:
Address Top Impact Finish
hip bend 16 F 4 F 12 F 2 F
hip tilt 2 L 17 L 15 L 14 R
hip turn 5 C 70 C 42 C 118 O
shoulder bend 37 F 9 B 11 F 47 B
shoulder tilt 1 R 29 L 29 L 6 R
shoulder turn 1 C 95 C 77 C 156 O

Impact Measurements ("After" Swing):
Golftek
Club Head Speed 84 mph
Ball Speed 65 mph
Smash Factor 0.77
Carry Distance 142 yds
Tempo 1.8 secs
Impact 100% toe
Swing Path 0 6 deg
Club Face 0 17 deg

sadly - that measurement was a 6 iron that i didnt hit square at all..
clubhead speed on my driver was 101 mph - i creamed that one - wish it was saved lol

just ordered a new cg15 60 degree wedge and a 56 niblick.

trying to decide which seemore - i went to a few local stores and no one had a seemore i could try. I have been using aodyssey dual force - like a thick blade - for years - i have never really liked a huge mallet - but might like a "small" mallet.

really like the way the mfgp2 looks - is there a difference between the black and silver model? other than price - and color. is the black reserve softer or anything?

after that - the m2 i really like, the m7 - high reviews here helped that too, the m8 looks closest to my old odyssey.

are all the m2, m7, and m8 the same materials in the face? im guessing yes, so that would just boil down to preference.

i guess the biggest question is the difference between the private reserve black and normal mseries silver (platinum). Are there any diff materials or is it color. thanks!

Private reserve sometimes does have a difference face.

m2, m7, and m8 all do not have the same face. Some have aluminum inserts and some are straight milled.

just added this to the bag -

should be here monday. cant wait to take her out. i named her bella. dont ask lol.

Great looking putter. One of my favorites. make sure you listen to the new THP Radio show that will be up tomorrow as we have Seemore putters on teh show.

congrats computergeek! That is the putter I want too. I think you will be very happy with it.

ok so today went through my lesson and clubfitting! what a great day!

here's a complete in depth recap - with numbers:

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...-fittings-vs-bad-fittings&p=263249#post263249

see what amollerud has to say.

Only downside was the shaft issues - really liked the project X - but couldnt get them on a nike machspeed set.

ended up buying the nike machspeed irons - the TM supertri in driver and fairway wood-

does golfsmith or golftec have a partnership with mizuno - seems they try and sell those above anything else - or are the mizuno's a really good club. I liked the one i hit - but it didnt have that "eye appeal"

is the mx-200 more of a GI club that a mx-300 or mx-1000?

does golfsmith or golftec have a partnership with mizuno - seems they try and sell those above anything else - or are the mizuno's a really good club. I liked the one i hit - but it didnt have that "eye appeal"

is the mx-200 more of a GI club that a mx-300 or mx-1000?

I experienced the same thing. I was rolling a Cameron and they came up to me and said, "Try this, it is good." It was one of those new ones with the hard plasticy feeling insert. The Betties that I rolled in FL were legit, I didn't like those new plastic ones however. I rolled it till he went away and then grabbed something else.

We have reviewed each of those irons on the home page. Including the MX-1000s just today. Here is a link to all the Mizuno iron reviews.

http://thehackersparadise.com/home/?s=mizuno+irons&x=0&y=0

I have never experienced a bias at that store. Some sales people have bias just like everybody else out there.

i wanted to like th mizuno mx-200 - i did have the best shot out of all the clubs with it - and it felt effortless - but i liked the machspeeds visual appeal - and numbers avg. They offer me the best amount of confidence and forgiveness which at this point is what i need. for now - atleast until i can get consistantly under 90 - i dont think i need to worry about working shots - just hit him high and straight heh.

Since you dont play a lot. i dont recommend spending a lot of money. TM makes great clubs and its what i have in my bag. i would recommend either the Burner or the Burner Superlaunch. depending on the look you want. if you are looking for a difference its really small the R9 are a little thinner and have a little shorter blade length. i play the R9 and love them. as for driver i recommend the burner superfast its a great club. and the reason for having both lines is one is more of an entry level line its designed to be a little more forgiving and a little cheaper.

Back