Nickent Alive Again?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Just got word from someone very close to the situation that Dick's Sporting Goods is buying up the remainder of the brand and will launch it in house. We have contacted Dick's about this and should have a response very soon.

However I can tell you that our source has not been wrong on this as of yet.

Curious to see if they'll grandfather the warranties and such from the older clubs.

• Admin
I would love to see this come true. Nickent made great clubs so I would love to see them survive.

Unfortunately I dont believe that it would be the same folks. The R&D team and people behind the brand have moved on it seems.

Unfortunately I dont believe that it would be the same folks. The R&D team and people behind the brand have moved on it seems.

That was going to be my question JB. I assumed that was the case but wasn't sure.

I figured that but if they can work with what they have and build on that maybe they can continue to make solid equipment.

That is a shame then. It could end up just diminishing the brand. :(

• Admin
I look at it similar to that of Macgregor.

another good brand ruined by a big chain.

Without the R&D people its just a name and eventually the brand will simply fade away. Much like what happened to Hogan when they were bought by Callaway.

Keep in mind that some stores do have R&D teams such as Dicks with Maxfli and Hagen. Sports Authority has kept the Tommy Armour name alive. Golfsmith has done it with Snake Eyes and now hopes to with Macgregor as well.

Without JH there I doubt if the clubs that they produce will be worthy of the Nickent name.

Only based on what has been said so far, I see this as the same business in name only. Nickent had a quality product and, at least to a few of us, a brand awarness. Without the team what are we left with? I had a lot of faith in the original team, so I could be a bit biased, however good luck to the new team!

Ehh. Without the guys from before, it won't be the same. :(

You can bet your house on the fact that they likely are only buying what essentially is the naming rights.

You can bet your house on the fact that they likely are only buying what essentially is the naming rights.

Damn straight & that's not worth a whole lot now days.
Probably slap the name on their crummy Acuity or Walter Hagen junk.

Damn straight & that's not worth a whole lot now days.
Probably slap the name on their crummy Acuity or Walter Hagen junk.

That's what I'm thinking too. I don't know how much they are paying for Nickent but I don't think it would be worth much as Nickent had/has more of a niche following and obviously struggled to get mainstream recognition.

Doesn't Dicks also own Acuity?

Wonder if they will just replace Acuity with Nickent...

I wonder if this will drive down the price on the 4DX Pros on eBay...'cause they'd be OLD... hmmm... :D

I wonder if this will drive down the price on the 4DX Pros on eBay...'cause they'd be OLD... hmmm... :D

I don't know Floppy, if the Nickent stuff gets any cheaper they'll be paying consumers to take it. haha

Back