Callaway Diablo Edge FW

dhumlo

Reaction score
Handicap
I was wondering if anyone has tried these out and what their opinion was. I got a chance to hit these last week at a demo day along with the Ping G15 and the TM Superfast. I have to say that I really liked them. They seemed easier to hit for some reason. Everything I hit was pretty much straight. Where I was all over the place with the TM's. If I had to rate them I would say the Callaways >Pings>TM.
-D

I got a chance to hit a used 5w and 3w at my local golf shop. I have my eye on that 3w ($99), and yes, I thought they were very easy to hit, straight, and consitant distances on the simulator.

our boy OEM Kevin is gaming one...he loves it!

I hit it at a demo day and loved it. If i could have found the right price I would have purchased it. i just purchased a launcher 2009 fw, if for some reason I don't like it, I will probably go for the diablo edge or wilson fybrid hs

seems like the new callaways are cleaning up...

our boy OEM Kevin is gaming one...he loves it!

+1

Its a great club. I dont think Ive hit an easier to hit 3W, including the TM R9. I find this one super easy to hit off the deck, great distance and forgiving too.

+1

Its a great club. I dont think Ive hit an easier to hit 3W, including the TM R9. I find this one super easy to hit off the deck, great distance and forgiving too.

Thanks for all the replys.

I got the same feeling after hitting about 10-15 shots with it. I couldn't agree with you more. Just needed to get confirmation on my thoughts. I'll have to hit them on a launch monitor now.
Thanks,

+1

Good to hear, I was thinking about getting one soon.

NO MORE TEMPTATIONS!!!!!!

THP has sold me on the Diablo Edge driver and SeeMore's....I don't need this now!

:D

hi everyone, thought I would give my perspective. I just received the Diablo Edge 3 wood Regular Flex Aldila Habenero a couple days ago and after a couple of marathon range sessions, I don't like it. I'm comparing it to my current 3 wood, a Tour Edge Exotics XCG-3 with Stiff Flex Fujikara Motore. I am currently a mid single handicap, around 5 or 6. I don't work the ball at all, just a repeatable swing that I try to hit everything straight. I'm sure it limits me, to not work the ball, but I have a feeling if I try to learn to work the ball and change trajectories, I'm going to majorly screw with my mind and swing.

Performance: Clearly, the TEE is longer. It's also a slightly longer club, though, so I guess that's expected? They both have hot faces, but the TEE XCG-3 definitely beats it by a good 5-10 yards. I actually expected the Edge to go further because it's a regular flex. I presumed it would fit my swing speed better. If I hit it well, I hit my 3 wood about 200-210, drives about 250-265.

For my swing, the TEE also goes much straighter. I didn't like the noticeable draw bias to the Diablo edge. The Edge seemed to have a slightly lower, more penetrating flight than the TEE, but would never wind up as far. Diablo Edge might have a little better forgiveness, but I couldn't tell that much. For my fairway woods and driver, I tend to hit everything in the sweet spot (irons a frustratingly different story).

Looks: TEE I thought definitely beats the Edge. the Edge has this slightly strange look to it. the Body and Back are slightly elongated, "bullet" like. Where the body meets the faceplate, the corners are much more like right angles on the Edge versus the smoother looking TEE. I should note that I don't really care about looks that much, but it seems to be one of the categories on all those shootouts.

Feel: The reason I bought the Edge was because the TEE XCG-3 has a slightly "tinny" feel to it. It's a subtle "too light and pingy" kind of feel. Almost like you wish there was the tiniest bit more "heaviness" or "solidness" to it. The Edge was a little better in that category. I still wasn't a fan of the Edge's feel, something of a blocky sensation.

Overall, the TEE XCG-3 won going away for me. I was hoping for at least a tie, because I would get back much more money reselling the XCG-3.

I actually expected the Edge to go further because it's a regular flex. I presumed it would fit my swing speed better. If I hit it well, I hit my 3 wood about 200-210, drives about 250-265.

Out of curiosity, as a single digit, why did you not get fit for it? I have played both of these, and I think the TEE is slightly longer as well. As it should be with the shaft being almost a full inch longer and 1 degree stronger lofted (loft I am not sure about).

But the stock shafts are very different and I found the TEE to not be all that forgiving at all, especially compared to this one. Hmmmm. Different strokes for different folks. Thanks for the feedback.

Out of curiosity, as a single digit, why did you not get fit for it? I have played both of these, and I think the TEE is slightly longer as well. As it should be with the shaft being almost a full inch longer and 1 degree stronger lofted (loft I am not sure about).

But the stock shafts are very different and I found the TEE to not be all that forgiving at all, especially compared to this one. Hmmmm. Different strokes for different folks. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm sort of new to the whole equipment game. Up until last year I was still using the Ping persimmon woods and ping zing 2 irons. I've gotten used to scouring the internet for reviews, buying on ebay for good prices with bing cashback, and then reselling if I don't like it for either a small cost (which I call a rental cost) or in some cases a small profit.

As far as getting fitted, I guess I can look around for one, but whenever I've thought of it I'm always afraid that on that day my swing will be off, or I'll have 5 good swings that just happen to be with the club that doesn't fit me well. Or something like that.

I also don't know much about the fitting process. I wonder how repeatable the process is. I.e., given 10 different fitters, would they all come up with the same shafts/clubs that "fit" me the best? Is it all computerized?

huh. well, I've always been a relatively short hitter compared to my peers. Up until last year, when I basically lived at the driving range and fooled around with different adjustments, I was hitting from 220-230 on drives. So I guess I'm still enamored with the extra distance TEE provides. I'm going to hunt around for a different 3 wood though, because I'm not 100% enamored with the feel of the TEE. I am using the TEE XCG-3 hybrids too. I currently have the Launcher DST hybrids on my "saved searches" in ebay, and am waiting for a good deal.

Gotcha. All makes sense. The reason I ask is that we have learned so much in our interviews with shaft experts about flexes. One companies regular is another companies stiff and so on and so on. I found the Edge shaft quite whippy and a completely different ball flight. But when in stiff it performed great. You might want to listen to our THP Radio show with Miyazaki shafts. He talks in depth about shaft fitting and why it is so different for everybody.

There was also a "shaft for newbies" article in our Spring issue of the magazine that has tons of information. And of course there is always our Fall Demo Day coming up soon.

Gotcha. All makes sense. The reason I ask is that we have learned so much in our interviews with shaft experts about flexes. One companies regular is another companies stiff and so on and so on. I found the Edge shaft quite whippy and a completely different ball flight. But when in stiff it performed great. You might want to listen to our THP Radio show with Miyazaki shafts. He talks in depth about shaft fitting and why it is so different for everybody.

There was also a "shaft for newbies" article in our Spring issue of the magazine that has tons of information. And of course there is always our Fall Demo Day coming up soon.

i think another thing to note is that so many of us, well, i for one, was in the same boat as yourself rads, when it came to not knowing a whole lot. i just have to add that if you have a question, any question, concerning shafts, fittings, whatever, ask away. you'll get a tremendous amount of knowledge from some folks here. do listen to the miyazaki radio show, it's one of my fav's and i listen to it often. to be able to listen to the wisdom that tim has is a pleasure.

Back