Total Loss of Concentration

Ole Gray

Mayor of the Woodshed
Reaction score
Handicap
Average
My last golfing round of 2010 was perhaps my worst ball striking day of the year. I took a nine on the second hole of a course that does not suit my right to left shot pattern. My confidence left quicker than the air on a blown out Nascar stock car tire running 195 mph. Did you have a round in 2010 where your confidence just totally went out the window. You felt like a deer in the headlights of a tractor trailor rig. It's a gut wrenching experience. My mojo never came back. I just totally loss my concentration and joy for this particular round of golf. I would have paid $10.00 for a tall cold beer :drinks: but only had bottled water in the cooler :angry:... How do you deal with a round of golf that totally breaks down your focus?

Christmas day. I couldn't do anything right. Fat then thin, I think I was only hitting my 8 iron around 110 that day. Looked more like a durn ditch digger out there I was hitting it so fat. I wanted to just quit and say heck with it. Left so many putts short I ended up swapping putters at the turn jet to try something different. Those rounds seem to take forever don't they!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

My last golfing round of 2010 was perhaps my worst ball striking day of the year. I took a nine on the second hole of a course that does not suit my right to left shot pattern. My confidence left quicker than the air on a blown out Nascar stock car tire running 195 mph. Did you have a round in 2010 where your confidence just totally went out the window. You felt like a deer in the headlights of a tractor trailor rig. It's a gut wrenching experience. My mojo never came back. I just totally loss my concentration and joy for this particular round of golf. I would have paid $10.00 for a tall cold beer :drinks: but only had bottled water in the cooler :angry:... How do you deal with a round of golf that totally breaks down your focus?

You get back out there and play again! :D

I had a terrible round back in June. Everything just went to crap for me. Each hole got worse and worse. I left that course never wanting to pick up a club again. So what I did is go back three days later and played a bit better. In fact, I started a thread about back then. What happened to me starts at post #10.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?12313-My-First-Full-18-of-the-Year

Christmas day. I couldn't do anything right. Fat then thin, I think I was only hitting my 8 iron around 110 that day. Looked more like a durn ditch digger out there I was hitting it so fat. I wanted to just quit and say heck with it. Left so many putts short I ended up swapping putters at the turn jet to try something different. Those rounds seem to take forever don't they!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

SW -- I think it took us 5 1/2 hours to finish that round !!!!! I just did not give a flip one way or the other and started bird, squirrel, & rabbit watching......

Sounds like my entire trip to Florida this year. I played well leading up to it, just had nothing when I got there. Straight for me was OB.

I'd like to comment, but I only got about a third of the way into the post before I lost my focus. Sorry, Gray. I'm getting old I guess.

Kevin

It was a rough day for all of us actually. If you recall, the second hole was where we began to let the others through, and that is early in a round to begin to be pushed. The course had too many 2 somes behind us and it was impossible to get into a good flow of the game, letting so many others through was pretty hard on all of us. When things go wrong and the round turns in to a 5 and 1/2 hour marathon there is no regaining focus. I recall each of us pulled a different club than we thought we were pulling more than once, so concentration was an issue for everyone.
Just a day to write off and as already suggested, just get out there soon and get it going again. And also my kudos to you, many people can be unplesant to play with when the wheels run off, you were still fun to be with and I look forward to playing with you and Kellybo again soon.

I chalk it up to just "one of those rounds" Gray. They seem to come out of the blue and are frustrating, mystifying, and down right head scratching. Try to banish it from your psyche and regain your focus. :)

Good luck!

My last round of the year (9 holes), none of us could hit the ball off the tee, let alone work the ball. It also was mid october so every tree had dumped its leaves so I lost about 16 balls.
I just decided to take it for what it was (a crap round) and try to make the most of it. I don't even know waht I shot, but we made a game out of getting as many leaves in our faces as possible when hitting out of them. Sometimes you just have to stand back and re-realize that it's just a game for entertainment, and enjoy it no matter.

[I'll probably need someone to tell me that many times this next season though..]

I try to take it a personal challege during the round to not get frustrated and focus on a having a good time and finding little positives about my game that day. Easier said than done obviously but I try...

i either try to forget about everything and just swing back and forth focusing on fundamentals or use it as a building round to work on putting or short game

Don't worry Gray, just get out there and you'll find your mojo! Nothing wrecks my focus more than being pushed and slow play. Sounds like you were suffering through both! Gotta just get back out there and prove to yourself that that round was an anomaly.

I had what was quite simply the worst round of my life wednesday. I knew where it was headed, so me and my friend tossed the score card, grabbed the shag bag, and stopped keeping score. Probably shot 130...

I suppose what you are really trying to deal with is getting through that particular round as you really don't want to just walk off the course. That said it would not be the first time that I have seen that sort of problem dealt with in exactly that way.

Presuming one does not want to do that, I would slow down and start with just one thing that I am going to try to do right. Presuming I can pull that off, I would try to build on it. Maybe I would take a few half swings in an effort to begin to strike the ball decently again as regaining some confidence can also result in renewed focus. Be patient and realize that you might be groping around for a bit before returning from the abyss.

This is one of the things that impresses me so much about touring professionals. For us when everything goes to hell in a hand basket and the strokes start piling up it stinks but presuming it is just a regular round of fun golf (not a tourney or something like that) it is not the end of the world. The touring Pros have to find a way to get through the round without putting up a crooked number on every hole. I am constantly amazed at how quickly they can right the ship and turn what was looking like a complete disaster into a round that at least gives them a chance to come back the next day and get themselves back into contention. They are truly amazing golfers.

i think that with your particular swing/shot shape and the combination of a tight, fairly wooded golf course, you simply have holes that don't suit your eye, especially those big dog legs that work left to right. i think you should play to right before the dog leg starts, that way you don't worry about your draw and the dogleg going the other way.

it's called Course MGMT man, it's a great way to help one keep their concentration. however, this is coming from the guy who put a 12 up on the last hole of the 2010 THP outing, thus losing to JB, and being reminded of it here ever since it happened. what do i know?

I had that round early in the 2010 season. I was so aggravated that I walked off the course for the first time in my life. I was even more angry at myself for walking off. So, shortly after I got home, I loaded the clubs back in the van and went back to the course and hit a two buckets on the range. It took most of the first bucket to get a clue what the problem was, and the second was just for enjoyment and to remind myself of the fun of the game.

Don't forget the beer next time...:alien2:

Thanks guys! Some good posts here and some really good acvice. Just the fact that all of us hit the wall like this from time to time is somewhat comforting. It's cool to see how some folks handle the meltdowns and such. I know for sure it will not be the last time (the wheels come off) for any of us, so reading this thread might help us put things into prospective. Happy golfing to all for 2011 :thumb:

I think this has happened to every single one of us Gray, I know I've had it happen right in the middle of a stretch where I felt like I was playing pretty good golf then BAM a round like that pops up. Rather than panic and run to the range and try to fix things sometimes it's best to just chalk it up and a bad day and move on. Once it happens in the round though it is really hard to turn it 180 degrees and right the ship, it even happens to the professionals as well so that should tell us that it is very hard to get it turned around mid-round. I'd say grab a beer at the turn and try to start fresh on the 10th tee.

happens to me every time I'm in FL

I think this has happened to every single one of us Gray, I know I've had it happen right in the middle of a stretch where I felt like I was playing pretty good golf then BAM a round like that pops up. Rather than panic and run to the range and try to fix things sometimes it's best to just chalk it up and a bad day and move on. Once it happens in the round though it is really hard to turn it 180 degrees and right the ship, it even happens to the professionals as well so that should tell us that it is very hard to get it turned around mid-round. I'd say grab a beer at the turn and try to start fresh on the 10th tee.

Yep now that might have got my mind off the cruddy round :D. The problem was that I had gotton so off focus that I forget to run by the refreshment bar :banghead:. I blew by our tee on #10 and had to turn the cart around to head back up the hill to the correct tee box. Once we tee'd off and was heading up to the green, DawgDaddy said he needed to pee real bad so could have solved these problems with a quick pit stop. Just one of those days :at-wits-end:. Hell we had already been on the course for three hours on the front nine so why not stop at the turn .... I suppose I was in hurry up mode to try and make up loss time.

Whenever my round goes down the tubes, especially early in the round, I start to try shots that I would normally try to hit as a last resort. A low cut, high flop shots, or even a drawing punch shot. Things like that. I know that my score is going to suck. I just want to pull off that one miracle. I start to try and drive the ball as far as I can (the TW11 LB & A button power up). I just go and try those shots because I am not going to score well, so I might as well do something interesting.

Whenever my round goes down the tubes, especially early in the round, I start to try shots that I would normally try to hit as a last resort. A low cut, high flop shots, or even a drawing punch shot. Things like that. I know that my score is going to suck. I just want to pull off that one miracle. I start to try and drive the ball as far as I can (the TW11 LB & A button power up). I just go and try those shots because I am not going to score well, so I might as well do something interesting.

lmao! Yep Blu I did crank a few fairly long drives out there. It's amazing how much umph you can put on a ball when you are frustrated huh? I actually hit the drives on the last nine (most of the longer holes) pretty long and in the fairway. I was really not caring where they ended up and I was swinging free which actually put the ball in the fairway. It's when you tense up and try to guide the ball and not finish the swing properly is when the ball and your swing goes to the potty house.

I think one of the issues may be is that you've lost weight and put on muscle. You have subtly changed your swing to accommodate your new buffness. :)

Back