Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 - THP Review Thread

I was thinking of adding the fly-z or the 815 driver before but it is all depending on how the results come back from the round. It's funny last year I would never think of bagging this club ,but now I am itching to.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Same here on not considering playing it. I decided to pick one up for the Pitt invitational since there were going to be elevation changes and from the tees I figured we would play driver wouldn't be needed much and wanted another option. Plan was to get a 14* but the stores around here only had 12* and only one had it with the speeder shaft.

in two rounds with it at olde stonewall is performed well for me other than when I didn't put a good swing on it. I played me round near my house where I used this on all but one hole or two holes and played well but on a couple holes I wish I had the extra 10 yds.

Same here on not considering playing it. I decided to pick one up for the Pitt invitational since there were going to be elevation changes and from the tees I figured we would play driver wouldn't be needed much and wanted another option. Plan was to get a 14* but the stores around here only had 12* and only one had it with the speeder shaft.

in two rounds with it at olde stonewall is performed well for me other than when I didn't put a good swing on it. I played me round near my house where I used this on all but one hole or two holes and played well but on a couple holes I wish I had the extra 10 yds.
That is what I fear a bit,the extra 10 or or yards. I have the 12* set at 13 right now ,that being said the fairways here right now are runways and run forever. Fall is coming where the extra yards may count

That is what I fear a bit,the extra 10 or or yards. I have the 12* set at 13 right now ,that being said the fairways here right now are runways and run forever. Fall is coming where the extra yards may count

10 to 15 yds... that's 1 club. Does it really make that much difference? For me on most par 4s 9t doesn't make a difference. Even the longest par 4 I've played with it (468yd), it had me hitting 8 iron from the FAIRWAY rather than 9 or pw (IF my drive was in play). Even if I miss hit it a bit I'm looking at 7 or 6 iron, which I don't see as too big of an issue. Main point is that my misses are not as big as driver

10 to 15 yds... that's 1 club. Does it really make that much difference? For me on most par 4s 9t doesn't make a difference. Even the longest par 4 I've played with it (468yd), it had me hitting 8 iron from the FAIRWAY rather than 9 or pw (IF my drive was in play). Even if I miss hit it a bit I'm looking at 7 or 6 iron, which I don't see as too big of an issue. Main point is that my misses are not as big as driver
Very true Kang, unless it is a par 5 or longer par 4 it may make a difference. My 2 range sessions have confirmed my love for this club. Excited to let it loose this Saturday

I could see how 10 yards might matter for the guys who are taking driver out of the bag. But the flip side equation for those who leave driver in the bag is this: we get a maximum of 4 holes per round where we MIGHT need a 3W off the deck. If there are more than 4 holes per round where the Mini a) gives you more distance off the tees than your 3w and/or b) helps you play smarter by keeping the driver in the bag, then it probably makes sense to bag this club.

I could see how 10 yards might matter for the guys who are taking driver out of the bag. But the flip side equation for those who leave driver in the bag is this: we get a maximum of 4 holes per round where we MIGHT need a 3W off the deck. If there are more than 4 holes per round where the Mini a) gives you more distance off the tees than your 3w and/or b) helps you play smarter by keeping the driver in the bag, then it probably makes sense to bag this club.

Why not just play a shorter driver with higher loft then?

For me anyways it's a mental block. My swing is not the same with driver in hand for some reason

Very fair point. I have been thinking about this question myself, trying to remember what numbers I got when I experimented with a cut down G10 at 12*. I suppose there are a couple of things. One would be that some people just feel more comfortable looking down at the smaller profile head. The other is that under the right circumstances (player's skill and/or lie) you can hit this club off the deck.

For most par 4s I play it's not an issue but we have some courses where the par 4 is long even from one tee box up and with driver I still have a mid-long iron depending on the wind. The round I played with Kevin and used the mini I had back to back par 4s that after avg-good drives I had 180+ into the green. With driver that might have put me in the 165-170 range on one and 180ish on the other.

For me,I prefer the ball sitting low. Teeing the ball high up,messes with my head but this way I am able to hit it more consistent. I also have a 3 wood for off the deck ,so no worries for me in that regard

For most par 4s I play it's not an issue but we have some courses where the par 4 is long even from one tee box up and with driver I still have a mid-long iron depending on the wind. The round I played with Kevin and used the mini I had back to back par 4s that after avg-good drives I had 180+ into the green. With driver that might have put me in the 165-170 range on one and 180ish on the other.
It's definitely a senario to senario issue. What you have to ask yourself is this:

Are those 1 or 2 holes per round enough reason? Even if you hit driver on those 1 or 2 holes, how is the consistency? Are you able to gain that 10 to 15 yds without losing accuracy?

It's definitely unique to the individual. That's a big reason why all the equipment out now so so fun. There is something for everyone

I just love that Callaway has acknowledged that this is very much a niche club.

Yep and it fits me perfectly right now :)

But in a way, I wonder...

If this club does everything the 3W does off the tee but does it better and we only need a 3W off the deck a maximum of 4 times per round (and lets be real - most of us don't play from the right tees and don't hit good enough drives to be able to go for it in 2 even that much), then maybe the traditional 3W is the niche club.

Niche or not, It would take something pretty dynamic to knock out of my bag.

yup there is no denying it.

But in a way, I wonder...

If this club does everything the 3W does off the tee but does it better and we only need a 3W off the deck a maximum of 4 times per round (and lets be real - most of us don't play from the right tees and don't hit good enough drives to be able to go for it in 2 even that much), then maybe the traditional 3W is the niche club.

I think you are very much generalizing that people only hit 3 woods off the deck on par 5's, which just is not true.

If it puts me in the fairway more, and I'm more comfortable swinging it as I typically am with a fwy wood, you can have those 10-15 yards. The course I normally play, using driver doesn't allow full swing approach shots on a whole lotta wholes, even if I move back a tee.

I think you are very much generalizing that people only hit 3 woods off the deck on par 5's, which just is not true.

I'd venture to say if you are hitting 3w off the deck on par 4s you are playing the wrong set of tees, no? But that's for another thread...

It comes down to player preference as always. There's really no wrong answer

I see more three wood second shots on par 5s in FL then I do iron layups. People want that max distance even if they are laying up

I'd venture to say if you are hitting 3w off the deck on par 4s you are playing the wrong set of tees, no? But that's for another thread...

It comes down to player preference as always. There's really no wrong answer

won't disagree that most people play the wrong tees. But I think Frank conceded that in his post already.

I see more three wood second shots on par 5s in FL then I do iron layups. People want that max distance even if they are laying up

completely agree. So the thought to me that people are only hitting 3w's on par 5's that they are going for in 2, or only hitting them on par 5's in general, is short sided to me. Of course, not on the internet. We all are better than that:alien:

Preach!!!!
completely agree. So the thought to me that people are only hitting 3w's on par 5's that they are going for in 2, or only hitting them on par 5's in general, is short sided to me. Of course, not on the internet. We all are better than that:alien:

Am I crazy or did Franks post get deleted?

For those of you hesitant about this club, what is your main reason?

Back