MO_Hacker

At the drag strip
Reaction score
Handicap
DragRacing
Could someone explain the slope rating system, for example the course that I play the most is

Front Nine
3585 yards par 36 from the back tees
3359 yards par 36 from the middle tees
3021 yards par 38 from the senior/women tees

Back Nine
3435 yards par 35 from the back tees
3203 yards par 35 from the middle tees
2809 yards par 36 from the front

74/139, 72.8/128, 70/118

I have no idea what the slope rating means, Smallville mentioned in another thread that he usually plays on a 118. Just wondering what it means and how it affects difficulty of play.

Thanks guys, I need to find some easier courses to play. lol
That second link you posted helped alot Smallville. Shirkeys has narrow fairways and huge trees, so your penalty for missing the fairway is usually a punch shot just to try to get back to the short grass.
I'm going to check some of the other courses I play to see if there is any differences, it doesn't seem to matter when I'm playing. I play bad no matter which course I'm at.

Damn I just looked at the course that I usually play when I'm not at Shirkey and it has a slope of 132, Bent Oak in Oak Grove. I lose so many golf balls at that place it is insane. Hole 10 is my albatross, water all the way down the fairway on the right side. I put at least one ball in that pond every round, one day I took 6 shots off the tee just to get one in the fairway.

I learned how to play at Sunflower Hills in Bonner Springs (next to Sandstone - - - or Verizon - - - amphithater). The regular mens tees we played I believe were 130 slope rated. So not an easy course at all. I don't think I ever broke 100 on it til this year. When you see that 113 is the AVERAGE rating, even Tomahawk at 118 is more difficult than average. The course we have been playing (Minor Park) is rated 107 but once my golf partner gets more experience, we'll start playing harder courses. When I go out with the guys, we play courses at 117 to 125 normally, but usually around 120 or so. I used to look at the length as deciding where I tee up from, but now I have no qualms about playing from Senior tees if the regular tees are astronomical. Sunflower Hils Senior Tees, for example are rated 123 and the course length is still about 6,100 yards. (Regular mens tees are 6,500 yards).

I was fascinated by this thread because I hadn't heard of a slope rating.

One of the threads explained why:

These figures are almost always printed on the score card in the United States. Course Slope is a creation of The United States Golf Association and has been licensed to the Royal Canadian Golf Association. Courses outside of the United States and Canada (and their protectorates) will probably not have a Slope rating.​

Brad - how are the courses rated there? We have the Course rating (somewhere around 70) and the slope (which you read about).

Australia (and most countries, I take it) doesn't have multiple methods for rating a courses difficulty?

Brad - how are the courses rated there? We have the Course rating (somewhere around 70) and the slope (which you read about).

Australia (and most countries, I take it) doesn't have multiple methods for rating a courses difficulty?

Good question. I'll ask at my home course today & get back to you.

The scorecards have the ratings printed on them over here. I did some searching just now and couldn't find any course in Sydney (the city I checked) that lists any course ratings on their websites.

Hole 10 is my albatross, water all the way down the fairway on the right side.

This one got my attention. Albatross has a specific meaning in golf, though it almost never happens. It's one shot better than an eagle. So it would be two shots on a par five or one shot on a par four. (And if you really want to impress your playing buddies, a condor is one shot better than an albatross)

Don't for a minute think that because I know this nonsense I'm a good golfer!

This one got my attention. Albatross has a specific meaning in golf, though it almost never happens. It's one shot better than an eagle. So it would be two shots on a par five or one shot on a par four. (And if you really want to impress your playing buddies, a condor is one shot better than an albatross)

Don't for a minute think that because I know this nonsense I'm a good golfer!

Haha maybe I should have said my curse then. I hate that hole with every fiber of my being. No matter how good I've been playing to that point or how many happy thoughts I have my ball is magically drawn into that pond.:bomb:

Haha maybe I should have said my curse then. I hate that hole with every fiber of my being. No matter how good I've been playing to that point or how many happy thoughts I have my ball is magically drawn into that pond.:bomb:

I've posted this elsewhere, but for Christmas last year, my husband gave me 15 personalized golf balls that all say, "water is a magnet." Number 14 went into the water about 10 days ago.

Good question. I'll ask at my home course today & get back to you.

What did you find out? Any information for us?

Back