Android Smartphone GPS Apps

LeftySean

Reaction score
Handicap
I finally joined the 21st century last October and bought a smartphone, and I am now looking for a free/inexpensive GPS app that will give distances to centre of the green and fairway hazards.

I'm not too interested in the other features that many of these apps have. Stats, Score-keeping, Swing analysis...I can live without them.

I've checked out a few websites and reviews on other sites, but there is a lot of conflicting information out there, perhaps even some deliberate dis-information, ha ha!

Anyway, if anyone has some positive experiences with a basic, accurate, and free/inexpensive GPS app, please reply. Thanks!

I use an app called SkyDroid. It's on Android and iOS. Gives distance to front/center/back of greens, and random hazards or good landing points. It's 100% user contributed. You can go to their website and customize the layout to include fairway and greenside bunkers and the like that another user had forgotten. It even includes scoring. Last I checked it was 1.99 I believe with no other payment needed.

There are others out there yes. But I scored SkyDroid for free and think it does just as much as any other gps app will do. And it's super easy to read and understand.

Started using free caddie, but it is only front back middle of greens. Now I use GPS range finder. I like because you can use it outside of golf. It is a real map, and you just tap the screen to get distance to anything, or anywhere.

I was using FREECADDIE PRO but it recently started misbehaving and chewing through battery even when it wasn't showing up as running. I've uninstalled it and am now on the hunt for a new one.

I use the frontier one. I think it was 1.99. But there is a free version as well to get your feet wet.

I have golflogix (won't open to scorecard), swing by swing, and another.
swing by swing is what I use cuz for me its simple lol

Ive used Golfshot for years and love it. Has a bunch of features you said you don't necessarily need but its still one of the most accurate and easy to use GPS apps I've found.

I have a few, all free versions. Used Swing by Swing in the beginning but switched to GolfShot. GolfPad is another good one. Tried the free version of Golflogix, liked it but it seemed slow.

I've been using Skydroid for a couple of years now. It gives me yardage to the front, middle and back yards of the green. It also gives me yardage to hazards and on some holes yardage to landing area. Just started using the scorecard this year. Overall I really like the app and it doesn't burn through my phone battery.

Skydroid sounds like what you are looking for, very basic. Swing by swing is my favorite personally.

I use swing by swing because the integration with the map makes for easy calculation of distances. Rough on battery life, though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

When I had an android phone, I always used Skydroid. Its nothing fancy but it works and its free.

Golfers is free and the best I've used. Tracks gir, fairways putts penalties layup yardage. And its free so youngish just uninstall it if you dont like it.

Capitalism: God's way of determining who is smart and who is poor!

Thanks for your input everyone!

GolfShot and Swing by Swing for me. Slightly prefer SbS (for the added features so your mileage may vary) but its harder on the battery for some reason.

another vote for Skydroid you can even edit the maps to add in points ie start of down slope or bunkers which helps me a lot.

I have been using Golf Pad for the last few months. Just the free version. It gives very accurate info without chewing through your battery life.

I've been using Swing by Swing lately, my buddy really like skydroid.

I have been using Golf Pad for the last few months. Just the free version. It gives very accurate info without chewing through your battery life.

Visually, this is my favorite. The free version doesn't track fairways hit or sand shots but not that big a deal really.

Visually, this is my favorite. The free version doesn't track fairways hit or sand shots but not that big a deal really.

I'm using the paid version and it's great. The developer's are active and always making improvements. I also have a pebble watch and golf pad sends the distance to the green and allows score keeping from the watch. This combo for me is tough to beat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I have a few, all free versions. Used Swing by Swing in the beginning but switched to GolfShot. GolfPad is another good one. Tried the free version of Golflogix, liked it but it seemed slow.

Love golf pad

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Golf shot has good free features and can be upgraded for an annual fee. I also used Swing By Swing for awhile. Not as pretty looking as golf shot but works just as well

'Easy scorecard pro' on Android for me. 'Gps range finder' is also handy for tracking shot distance

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Back