Testing in a simulator, carry & roll

Dance_Business

AARP Member :)
Reaction score
Handicap
Practice
Yesterday after my round of golf, I thought I'd go try a few different irons. I was thinking, of course, Bridgestone-Cleveland-Cobra-Callaway. Dick's is by my house so I stopped in and tried a few in their simulator I found that, using the 7I from each set, that the distances were crazy! In warm weather I am good for 158, carry, and basically no roll. Regardless of which Irons I took, I was getting 160 - 180 carry, and up to 20 yards of roll! I know some of the 7 irons would be the 6 in my set, but the numbers are still crazy. Do any of you get 20 yards of roll in your mid irons?
The numbers were correct when I bought Hybrids, carry & roll are true on the course.
So maybe my old Cleveland TA2's really are that far behind technology...

I wouldn't put a lot of stock into that just because they are trying to sell you something. You could always take your other club in for comparison's sake.

I had a friend who worked at GG who said the machines/simulators are enhanced. They are not really accurate, probably take 15yds off what you're seeing. I only use the simulators for comparisons sake and never look at the total yardage individually.

I was in GG the other week hitting a 20.5* hybrid 240-250 yards. Yea right, maybe in my dreams.

I had a friend who worked at GG who said the machines/simulators are enhanced. They are not really accurate, probably take 15yds off what you're seeing. I only use the simulators for comparisons sake and never look at the total yardage individually.

I was in GG the other week hitting a 20.5* hybrid 240-250 yards. Yea right, maybe in my dreams.

pffffftttt that is HUGE

not a big fan of sim distances, launch monitor and on the course work for me

The only numbers you should look at really if the club head/ball speed are similar is backspin and launch angle. That will give you a good idea of distance and roll-out RELATIVE to the other irons.

i was at a Dick's as well recently and tried 3 diff 7 irons. Cobra amp, cally raxrx, and T.M burner2. I know that I hit my current 7 at 165 (when struck well of course). This swing machine at dicks had me hitting every one of the three well over 200 yrds. It was rediculous and even the guy said to me its giving about 20yrds roll so better judge it by the carry only which were in the 180's. But even that was not believable. I know the lower loft helps it some and also hitting off mat can help some also cause you really not getting totaly under the ball but in the end I just couldnt pay attention to the distance and not why i was there. I really just ignored it all and just wanted to get a feel for swinging each club.

BTW (no thread high jack intended) but just as a side note and strictly my opinion just to share FYI. While there, I found the cally raz and the cobra amp very similar in feel and liked both better than the TM burn2. I liked the cobra amp the best but was the only one with stiff flex and also was longer shaft than the cally so that may be why only because it fit me bit better. Actually made me happy cause they are the cheapest ones of the three and now certainly a serious concideration if i can swing getting new set over winter,.

I always have my own clubs along just to check for a baseline, it's pretty funny what some of these machines show me hitting my own clubs, lol.

i go to the same golf galaxy when i go to my army stuff and it always has me way short... they had my carrying a new 3w 205 and a 3h like 210 ... i carry a 5h w250 and my 3w has carried 270 on more then one occassion before
correction it wasnt carry but total distances

Yesterday after my round of golf, I thought I'd go try a few different irons. I was thinking, of course, Bridgestone-Cleveland-Cobra-Callaway. Dick's is by my house so I stopped in and tried a few in their simulator I found that, using the 7I from each set, that the distances were crazy! In warm weather I am good for 158, carry, and basically no roll. Regardless of which Irons I took, I was getting 160 - 180 carry, and up to 20 yards of roll! I know some of the 7 irons would be the 6 in my set, but the numbers are still crazy. Do any of you get 20 yards of roll in your mid irons?
The numbers were correct when I bought Hybrids, carry & roll are true on the course.
So maybe my old Cleveland TA2's really are that far behind technology...

the other day I went and tried a Taylormade MC 6 iron, and I was hitting it a total of 160, about 145-150 carry and the rest was roll

Last edited:
Back