Best in home putting mats

Celtic89st

Reaction score
Handicap
9-10
I recently purchased a Grassroots Par Three Putting Green (3x9) feet on Amazon.com ($32.00) and have been LOVING it. Used it over the previous winter to keep my putting up to par.

I have owned a lot of different putting greens in the past but this one blows the others out of the water.

Any other great putting greens out there?

Have you tried the Birdieball green? I'm seriously thinking about picking one of those up. A little more expensive than the Grassroots green but supposedly a really nice green.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Glad you found something that you like. I bought a 'birdie path' putting green from big moss for close to $150, and I like it a lot. It comes with some interesting lines, mats for adjusting the break, a smaller cup insert, and an adjustable vision line to dial in your stroke. It might be a little overkill, but I'm hoping it will translate to better putting this summer. Also, that actual green is very good quality so far.
http://www.bigmoss.com/gallery.asp?catalogid=159

Have you tried the Birdieball green? I'm seriously thinking about picking one of those up. A little more expensive than the Grassroots green but supposedly a really nice green.

While the Birdie ball works, it's far from a nice green. I have one and for me it seems way over priced. It's just like a Styrofoam almost. If I were to do it again, I would definitely spend more money to get a nicer one. The first time my dog ran across my Birdie ball it had damage. Not that it really affects putting if you avoid the damage. Plus there is a line in mine that will make the ball sway right or left that goes the whole length of the birdie ball. I contacted them about it and it's where they fuse it together or something. And can't be corrected. Well, they didn't have a fix for it a year ago. Sure you can putt on it and it has a decent roll. It's just not durable at all!

No I haven't! That looks awesome though from what I found online.

If you don't want to spend the money on that though the Grassroots par 3 is fantastic.

Has anyone used the Grassroots on carpet? That is one of the factors I'm looking for in a green, it has to be on medium length carpet.

If you were local I would make a deal on mine, I have a 8x12 with 5 holes I will be selling soon.

I recently purchased a Grassroots Par Three Putting Green (3x9) feet on Amazon.com ($32.00) and have been LOVING it. Used it over the previous winter to keep my putting up to par.

I have owned a lot of different putting greens in the past but this one blows the others out of the water.

Any other great putting greens out there?

Has anyone used the Grassroots on carpet? That is one of the factors I'm looking for in a green, it has to be on medium length carpet.

I just got that exact same mat, so far I really like it. It's got all the distance you'd need (for working indoors) and there's even a little bit of break if you aim at one of the side holes. I've had to roll it up and take it back out a few times and it's still pretty smooth I didn't really have to do anything to it. I had mine on a, I guess, medium carpet. It was pretty slow but it rolled true. I took it to work and have it on a harder surface, it's way faster now.

I think you guys just saved me $100. I was pretty close on pulling the trigger on a birdieball green but I'm gonna try this first and see if I like it. If I'm not satisfied it's only $32. I just need something to put on other than carpet.

If you were local I would make a deal on mine, I have a 8x12 with 5 holes I will be selling soon.
Are you not satisfied with the Birdieball green?

I bought a Big Moss putting green about 7 years ago and have been very pleased with it.

Good to hear! I think you'll enjoy the Grassroots green.

Are you not satisfied with the Birdieball green?

its ok, but takes up too much room in my basement. I bought the tourlinks 9' to replace it so it will fit in better once I finish the basement this year.

ccba756699b15c1fbb23d5915b7bde81.jpg

So far so good on the Grassroots par 3 green. Tried it on carpet and it was so so, much better on a hard surface. And for little $$, it's well worth it.

ccba756699b15c1fbb23d5915b7bde81.jpg

So far so good on the Grassroots par 3 green. Tried it on carpet and it was so so, much better on a hard surface. And for little $$, it's well worth it.

I am looking at this one myself. Do you stand on it or to the side?

I stand on it. I don't have a whole lot of room where it's at now but it works fine. I tried it on carpet but that didn't work as well.

I stand on it. I don't have a whole lot of room where it's at now but it works fine. I tried it on carpet but that didn't work as well.

Thanks. We have wood lam floors so I should be good.

It's well worth the $$ imo. Hope you enjoy it

IMG_20160423_153645019_zps0m1l4b0k.jpg

So far so good. Laid flat right out of the box. Nice and smooth roll. Kids like it too and at the price I do not have to worry too much about them messing it up.

Glad you like it, thanks to Celtic89st for mentioning it!

I bought a Big Moss putting green about 7 years ago and have been very pleased with it.
Same and similar amount of time too. I only have the Original as space was limited but now have a large basement in the new place so considering sizing up.

Durability is fantastic and that aspect has been heavily tested. I have 3 large dogs (120, 100, 80 lbs) who lay on it periodically, walk over it and I've even caught them stretching from time to time digging their claws in deep. No issues. As you can imagine, I vacuum it often and it's still good as new.

I understand why cost can be prohibitive for some as it's the sole reason why I haven't pulled the trigger on an upgrade just yet. But quality wise, durability wise, I'm completely sold.

23520d0ca0902f3e90b99c4451fa4fef.jpg

Last edited:
While hardly a "nice" putting mat, I've been happy with the SKLZ Accerlerator Pro which is a mat and training aid in one. I feel like it's helped me a lot with my deceleration issues and also helps with alignment and a somewhat straight putting stroke. I paid $40 for mine with free prime shipping from Amazon.

http://www.sklz.com/golf/putting/sklz-accelerator-pro/ACP2-001.html?cgid=golf-putting

Accelerator-Pro_ACP-2001_2.jpg

I have this as well. I think it works great and won't break the bank. To me you really can't do much more indoors except groove your stroke. This does that.

Has anyone tried the "vari-break" putting green from SKLZ?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Has anyone tried the "vari-break" putting green from SKLZ?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have one. It's just ok in my opinion. I had some gift cards to use a while back and bought it, but if I was looking for one now I would buy something different. The "break" foam isn't very realistic in my opinion, so I don't generally use it. The wedge-shaped foam on the hole-end is useful, but the foam has too much memory (doesn't flatten out quickly). If I want it flat, I either leave it out or let it stay out overnight. Setting it up directly from the carrying-bag, I'm not a huge fan of the roll it gives. The putting cup has some value, but I personally don't use that much either.

Back