The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a pretty horrible range session today. Everything was pretty bad. Tempo was horrible. My takeaway was just rushed. Just not a productive day. Just chalking it up to one of those days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What proximity on short shots, 50, 75, 100 yards do you consider an acceptable shot distance from target for practice?

I work on 10' as acceptable from that range.

hit the range again today worked on tackman since the crappy weather won't break struggled with getting into proper positions that we've been working on. Moved from the 7i to driver and was hitting it decent but contact felt off, through on some face tape and was hitting the ball very heel side with an in to out path. Decided to scoot back away from the ball and things felt better and contact moved back to center and the numbers got even better. Went back to 7i and moved back just a bit from the ball and saw much better numbers and an increase in SS. I still got lots of work to do but feel like i'm off to a good start.

I'm wanting to spend some time on trackman. I think I'm going to look an outlet.

I had a pretty horrible range session today. Everything was pretty bad. Tempo was horrible. My takeaway was just rushed. Just not a productive day. Just chalking it up to one of those days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We all get those my man. I'm sure you'll be striping it the next time out. Seems to me, every time I have a clunker my next time out I just start flushing shots.

I'm wanting to spend some time on trackman. I think I'm going to look an outlet.

Its nice to have access to but can be overwhelming if you let it be. JB's flightscope should give you the same data if i'm correct on the one he has

Flightscope!!!!

I'd like that but don't want to impose. I just really need to get my swing path right. Maybe I'll hit JB up for some golf and range time

The way I have been putting, if I post in here that I hit any buckets of balls, please e-beat me hard. I hit the ball well, darn well. I putt like crap. Message to self: take putting lesson and practice like your life depends on it you moron.

Got out on the course to practice my game under course conditions. Driver was working well, and 8i on down was solid too. Didn't hit hybrids today, but did work on short game from a number of lies, trying to get close to the pin so I could one putt. Tried hitting the 7i with mixed results. When I didn't worry about my swing, I made solid contact. Sometimes it leaked right, but at least it got up. If I focused on trying to make a slow, controlled backswing and transition into the downswing ... bad things would happen. For the life of me I don't know why I can hit great shots with my 8i, but not the 7i.

Booked a lesson for two weeks from now with the only PGA Teaching Pro in my town. If we don't mesh, I'm going to have to go to Raleigh to take lessons.

I hit a jumbo bucket at the dome today. Driver was better, irons were OK.
I have to increase my practice time and reps with digging those left knuckles into the ground. When I concentrated on that the ballstriking was so much better.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Played today and really worked on completing my backswing and the results were amazing. Shot a 78 in 45 degree temperatures with 20-30 mph winds. It's been a long tine since I hit the ball that solid!

Forgot to post earlier - managed to get a quick range session in today before the next rainstorm blew in.

Worked again on the changes Erika introduced to me. More and more it is starting to get comfortable. Really starting to feel a great shoulder turn in my backswing and getting my weight forward on the follow through. Better yet, starting to see a consistent ball flight throughout the bag.

Rain started towards the end of the range seasion and came home to do a doorway drill that Erika gave me.

Hit 4 buckets this afternoon. Wedges, hybrid, and irons are on fire. The 4W couldn't do anything, off the deck or off the tee. I broke my driver a couple weeks ago and haven't got it replaced yet, so that obviously didn't get any use, lol. Did a little putting, but the practice green had been freshly aerated, as was extremely sandy, so I didn't stay long

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk

I've been doing a lot of carpet putting at home though, and I'm really improving my putting on the course. Now to just transfer my range sessions to the course....

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk

Got an great drill from my pro that has really spurred on my game.Setup with my whole body facing the target and then hitting the ball.Doing wonders and really helped my body move correctly.Got some goofy looks at the range but it works

Got an great drill from my pro that has really spurred on my game.Setup with my whole body facing the target and then hitting the ball.Doing wonders and really helped my body move correctly.Got some goofy looks at the range but it works

What was his reasoning behind this?
I was under the impression that you were working on creating a new swing with this teaching pro that you really like. You said you were making progress and he liked the fact that your misses were a certain way. Why the abrupt move to something completely different and very different from the norm. It seems very counterproductive.

pretty good practice session this morning. started with the 56 chipping and short pitching, and was very pleased. still hitting too far out toward the toe, but the b330s really helps the ball the check. then some practice putting that was so-so. then i got a small bucket to work on full swings with the 56. cold and strong wind in and from the left, so i was only hitting the 56 maybe 80 yards. i've really been struggling with full swing wedges lately, just -0- consistency, and i started off no different. but then i remembered a tip freddie gave me to really keep the right knee flexed, almost pointing at the ball throughout the swing. i did that, and could not have hit the ball any better. dead center sweet spot contact, peppering the flag in brutal wind, and hitting off hard dirt at that. talk about a boost in confidence. thank you panda!

Had a short session after work yesterday. Felt like I was fighting my swing and felt like my feet were going one way, my shoulders another, and my swing path all jacked up. Went back to a few basic swing thoughts and was hitting it much better. I'm thinking I may sign up for a lesson or two soon as I feel like I'm got some bad habits starting to creep in.

What was his reasoning behind this?
I was under the impression that you were working on creating a new swing with this teaching pro that you really like. You said you were making progress and he liked the fact that your misses were a certain way. Why the abrupt move to something completely different and very different from the norm. It seems very counterproductive.
Told me my hip turn was not syncing with my arms.This drill forces me to sync it up or I will miss the ball competely.Looks awkward and is awkward.He assured me a few weeks of this will get me back to under 100 golf

Hit a bucket of balls and let me add I admire all of you guys that hit multiple buckets. I don't have he mental fortitude to hit that many balls. Hit mostly 6 and 7 irons, a few drivers, and some LW. Started out with hitting 60 yd LW to warm up. I don't really have a set distance just what ever target green is closest. Then moved onto 6 irons worked on getting club deeper on the back swing and coming from the inside. Getting the ball to start left of target drawing back to the target. Setup pool noodle to swing under on backswing and downswing to help ingrain the proper feeling. Moved onto 7 iron and did some zone work. Stuck an aliment rod vertically on my target and one about a foot to the left. Then tried to hit balls between the alignment rods getting the ball to start left of the target and draw back to the target but never cross over the target line. Finished up hitting a few drivers as hard as possible and finished with some more LW to work on touch.

Got in a good range session today with some extra time I found. I hit a large bucket of balls starting with hitting almost 1/4 of the bucket with my 58* wedge to a target net 50 yds out. Focusing on turning my shoulders and not just arms with 1/2 swings and dialing in distance/direction. Was pleased with the result and even dunked a few into the net. Then moved to 9i and 7i, again focusing on mechanics and not distance. Pleased again, I moved to the driver for some swings, which worked out fairly well. I can see the misses the fitter was talking about a few weeks back and can't wait to get the proper setup in hand. I finished hitting 54* pitches to the same 50yd target net, again dunked a few and left happy.

Told me my hip turn was not syncing with my arms.This drill forces me to sync it up or I will miss the ball competely.Looks awkward and is awkward.He assured me a few weeks of this will get me back to under 100 golf

Interesting. As a person going to a completely new swing, I would find that the abrupt change in setup would almost be impossible to recreate the normal swing and create some lag.

Not playing today, so, went to the range to work on a few things. My irons have been quite ragged lately, with a consistent miss left. Went through a couple of drills my old teacher in Atlanta gave me. I can't go see him any more, but, I still remember all the drills we went through. It appears that my issue might have been simply in the set up. I was setting up square to the target, but, with the shoulders open. In this case, even if I swing on plane, the ball is naturally going to want to go left. This is something we worked on two years ago. Funny how old habits creep back into the swing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back