Golf/OCD

Reaction score
Handicap
Ghin 8.4
Ran into this on Tuesday;

My two playing partners asked for a ruling and I wasn't positive. Their balls ended up 4" apart not side to side but front to back towards pin. So neither could hit without hitting the others ball.

I suggested to Mark the closest to pin and replace as close to original without being in the divot and play without a penalty.

If in a tournament what is the correct call

This is funny because I had the exact same situation last week. My ball about 4 inches in front of another. Not a competition but none the less I didn't know what to do. The fellow who had the other ball was more knowledgeable about it and we picked mine up, he hit, then replaced mine. I don't know the exact answer but he was pretty confident to mark and replace one best as possible.

Google is awesome. Start watching at the 30 second mark:

Cleaning the ball would just be an instinct.

the problem with many amateurs and weekend hackers even in friendly competition is that the tee may also have gotten smacked out of its spot too. But then I guess a fair estimate would have to do.

Google is awesome. Start watching at the 30 second mark:

Thanks for finding that, so what I said was almost correct which in regards to rules means I was WRONG :golf:

Thanks. That video was helpful.

I didn't know the rule, thanks for the vid

Mark and replace....Same thing if on the fringe or pretty much anywhere else on the course. I didn't know the cleaning part though....Great to know!!

the problem with many amateurs and weekend hackers even in friendly competition is that the tee may also have gotten smacked out of its spot too. But then I guess a fair estimate would have to do.

Just like on the green, you mark, lift the ball closest to the hole, then if necessary, move the mark one or 2 clubheads off line (if you are worried about the prohibition about touching the hazard with a club, use a pencil or the like for moving your mark) so that it doesn't get moved by the stroke of the player who plays first. Then he would rake and smooth the sand, you move your mark back, then replace your ball.

The ruling for this is called equity. Basically it says that you are entitled to the same lie you originally had and if it is altered after your ball lands, you can either recreate or find a similar lie to the original.

The ruling for this is called equity. Basically it says that you are entitled to the same lie you originally had and if it is altered after your ball lands, you can either recreate or find a similar lie to the original.

It isn't an option like you have stated it. You are first required to recreate the original lie on the original spot. If that isn't possible, then you place the ball in the nearest similar lie.

Back