Putting. Some days that imaginary line strangely disappears.

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
Not a great putter but usually one part that (for me realtively speaking) is decent on a good percentage of days. Wish i can say that for the rest of my game but thats another story. Have my fair share of one putts, sometimes a handfull on good days while other days none, one, or two. But its mostly 2's and dont three putt often. "usually"

I'd say I feel pretty good about that right now. But then of course there are the days where it just goes go in the tank and cant make anything. Happens to everyone I'm sure but that in itself is not the strange part.

Whats strange about it is this. Firstly i dont know if any of you do this (I assume others do) but when i putt i visualize (from behind) an imaginary line through the ball and the breaks and onward to the hole. When my putting is better I see this line verry well. But when the putting is off, this imaginary line strangly just disappears.

Its like i cant find it anywhere. Where did it go? You begin to ask yourself, "where are you?". Move my head around looking for it but it just hides from you. If find this very strange. And when it disappears it also leaves speed with a question mark too. Its like you search for this line and just doesnt pop up in your head that day. Next time out it may be back again and its like "oh, great, your back" ...lol But its almost like a friend to me as though its a real thing and when its there the confidence, the speed, and overall putting is much better.

I just sometimes wonder how this imaginary line can be so real to begin with and how it is even there but also why and how it can magically disappear too. Its like i take it for granted when its there only to realize it's importance after it disappears. I dont even know if you can comment on this or if anyone experiences similar. But thought it strange and wanted to put it out there.

Last edited:
Sometimes I think you're crazy, but this is one time that I'm going to be crazy with you, rollin. Yes, this can happen to me. I think it's lack of focus.

Sometimes I think you're crazy, but this is one time that I'm going to be crazy with you, rollin. Yes, this can happen to me. I think it's lack of focus.

I dont know weather to be flattered or insulted. lol . But I like the company. :)

It has happened for me but it is rare. Often I don't think to look for the "line"; I look for the line of the putt but don't do the visualization. Maybe it is focus or confidence but whatever it is I wish I could find it more often.

This may sound completely ridiculous but I putt/read greens the exact same way as if I was playing TW golf on PS3. I imagine the grid being there and based on slope pick a spot on the green (example bit uphill slightly sloping to the left, I'll aim 2ft past the cup and 2 inches outside the hole). So when I putt I focus solely on putting straight to that spot.

I wish that green line showed up for me....Instead I'm a little different I suppose. I crouch behind my ball and roll an imaginary bowling ball up the line which gives me an idea of where it's going to go. Sometime my playing partners will catch me using my hand and rolling something that isn't even there. But it really helps give me confidence of where the line is.

I was just thinking about this while playing with the guy's in Wichita. At times I could see a path, almost like it was painted on the green for me, and when it was there I couldn't miss. Speed and break was all there, but when it left I just went cold. Some days it never appears at all, but others it's just easy. Weird, but cool at the same time.

I think the line has a ton to do with confidence... I tend to think of a line as well, and when I get momentum of solid putting, I think I'm more optimistic about it. When I'm not 'on' I feel like it's more guessing at a line and then second guessing the line at address.

You're not alone Rollin!

Another reason I love playing in the morning. Sometimes the line is already there in the dew from a previous group. Usually only for a hole or two, but it makes it easier.

I'm usually pretty good at finding the "right" line but executing a putt along that line is a completely different story. Often times I'll hit the line perfectly, but not hit it hard enough and end up 3-4 inches shot of the cup. Other times I'll blast it 3-4 feet past the cup.

But back to the topic, yes, once in a while I'll step onto the green and have no idea where I should be aiming. I can tell there is a definite slope to the green, but can't figure out where I should be playing the break at. It usually results in me just stepping up and giving it a go and crossing my fingers that it's close enough for a tap-in or short putt.

Another reason I love playing in the morning. Sometimes the line is already there in the dew from a previous group. Usually only for a hole or two, but it makes it easier.

I'm a fan of that too. It's like playing TW on xbox and using the putt preview.

The line method definitely isn't crazy. It helps me focus more on rolling it on that line and letting gravity do its thing instead of trying to manipulate it into the hole

One tip I have: on days when I'm struggling, I'll sometimes catch myself making adjustments to my line while standing over the ball. This is not good. Seeing the line needs to happen with your binocular vision from behind the the ball. See the line and pick an intermediate target. Then line up to that target and trust it, even if it doesn't feel right. Your vision will lie to you over the ball, so you have to trust what you saw from behind the ball.

yes every once in a while there acrtually is a real line. But even when there isnt but its there in your head it seems very real to me and i like it alot. Although that dew (even though helpful) can play its own games too and prevent the ball from doing what we expected, then of course as it dries up while we move along we have to readjust too. I guess every pro has a con.

Last edited:
One tip I have: on days when I'm struggling, I'll sometimes catch myself making adjustments to my line while standing over the ball. This is not good. Seeing the line needs to happen with your binocular vision from behind the the ball. See the line and pick an intermediate target. Then line up to that target and trust it, even if it doesn't feel right. Your vision will lie to you over the ball, so you have to trust what you saw from behind the ball.

I agree this can happen and throw you off even when you do see the line prior to addressing the ball. Especially when you stand at address and feel the slope (in any direction) that your standing on and it gives you the impression that its more or less than what it appeared before. So you hit after the adjustment only to regret not trusting what that magical line told you prior. Then on those days the line (or force) cant be found, doing this same scenario just gets even worse results.

I make this mistake all the time. Especially if I read a putt breaking one way, then address the ball with my weight leaning (from the green slope) the opposite way I read the putt. I have a hard time convincing myself over the ball that just because the green is sloped one way where I'm hitting, doesn't mean the putt will break that way closer to the hole.

This may sound completely ridiculous but I putt/read greens the exact same way as if I was playing TW golf on PS3. I imagine the grid being there and based on slope pick a spot on the green (example bit uphill slightly sloping to the left, I'll aim 2ft past the cup and 2 inches outside the hole). So when I putt I focus solely on putting straight to that spot.

I wish that green line showed up for me....Instead I'm a little different I suppose. I crouch behind my ball and roll an imaginary bowling ball up the line which gives me an idea of where it's going to go. Sometime my playing partners will catch me using my hand and rolling something that isn't even there. But it really helps give me confidence of where the line is.

weather an imaginary grid or imaginary bowling ball or whatever i think its all the same imaginary vizualization that appears to us but unfortunately isnt always there. When it is, along with it comes confidence and much better putting over all imo.

I used to do this then I started putting to a point closer to the ball. Then I sharpened my sort game to close the gap on the distances and the line disappeared because my distance from the hole decreased to the area or point I put to.

I used to do this then I started putting to a point closer to the ball. Then I sharpened my sort game to close the gap on the distances and the line disappeared because my distance from the hole decreased to the area or point I put to.

Your second part is interesting. As far as closing the gap to the pin who can ever debate the advantages of that. But its kind of funny i tend to see this line much better from further away vs closer in. I can have as many close first putts and even sometimes sinkers from further away than from closer. Could be because I put less pressure on myself to sink it from say 20 or 30ft away vs when i'm 7 feet away? I just dont know

Not a great putter but usually one part that (for me realtively speaking) is decent on a good percentage of days. Wish i can say that for the rest of my game but thats another story. Have my fair share of one putts, sometimes a handfull on good days while other days none, one, or two. But its mostly 2's and dont three putt often. "usually"

I'd say I feel pretty good about that right now. But then of course there are the days where it just goes go in the tank and cant make anything. Happens to everyone I'm sure but that in itself is not the strange part.

Whats strange about it is this. Firstly i dont know if any of you do this (I assume others do) but when i putt i visualize (from behind) an imaginary line through the ball and the breaks and onward to the hole. When my putting is better I see this line verry well. But when the putting is off, this imaginary line strangly just disappears.

Its like i cant find it anywhere. Where did it go? You begin to ask yourself, "where are you?". Move my head around looking for it but it just hides from you. If find this very strange. And when it disappears it also leaves speed with a question mark too. Its like you search for this line and just doesnt pop up in your head that day. Next time out it may be back again and its like "oh, great, your back" ...lol But its almost like a friend to me as though its a real thing and when its there the confidence, the speed, and overall putting is much better.

I just sometimes wonder how this imaginary line can be so real to begin with and how it is even there but also why and how it can magically disappear too. Its like i take it for granted when its there only to realize it's importance after it disappears. I dont even know if you can comment on this or if anyone experiences similar. But thought it strange and wanted to put it out there.

First off, you aren't crazy...most really great putters have made statements that included something about "seeing or visualizing the line". I consider myself to be a pretty good putter and I always look for the line....somedays when things are good it's as bright and obvious as the one on the Golf Channel or the TW golf game and others it's faint but still gives me a good general idea of my intended target.

But I too have those days where I just "can't see it"...., I agree with Canadan and some of of the others with what they say about confidence...when you are confident with your putter, it just seems like you spot the line quickly and you don't second guess yourself...when things aren't going so well, you question your first read and your second read and sometimes talk yourself right out of the correct line.

I think my biggest mistake is not spending the last few minutes before a round on the practice green.....find a fairly easy putt and roll 3 or 4 into the cup...hear the sound of the ball going in...I think to many people just drop and ball and start whacking it...looking more for speed than anything and while that is good, I don't think anything can replace the sight and sound of the ball going in the cup....so find a nice easy left to right putt and drain 3 or 4 and I bet that line is there on the first green more often than not.

That's a good tip Wade, trust your read and get over the ball and make a good stroke...if you have any second thoughts, back off...step behind the ball and read the putt again, but once your decide on a line, stick with it and make a confident stroke.

But I too have those days where I just "can't see it"...., I agree with Canadan and some of of the others with what they say about confidence...when you are confident with your putter, it just seems like you spot the line quickly and you don't second guess yourself...when things aren't going so well, you question your first read and your second read and sometimes talk yourself right out of the correct line.

your whole post was a great read and this part too but can be a strange view. I've also mentioned that confidence comes with this line that we can sometimes see so well. The fact that its simply there (or not there) almost makes it seem (although perhaps a misguided thought) like its the line that gives us the confidence vs the other way around. Like i said in the open, its almost like a friend that guides us. I think I can feel similar confidence walking up to the green and ball and yet then only after i look at the putt discover the line isnt there today (or on that hole). and kind of be suprises about it wondering where it went.

But i think as "Hawk" said it can simply be the ability we have to focus that day may just not be there. We can try hard to find it, in fact when not seeing the way we tend try even harder and one may think they are focused in becuase of the extra effort but just because we try harder doesnt have to mean our ability to focus more sharply is there . Only thing i know for sure is that our imaginary lines are certainly in our mind and the mind can do strange things regardless of how we think we feel. Sometimes the two just dont match.

I can see the line when I'm in the zone. I even had a few of those on approaches today, haven't had those in quite a while :)

I'm going to have to try "the line" next time out. My putting has gone to !@#$ (37 & 39 putts last 2 rounds) so I'm willing to try anything.

your whole post was a great read and this part too but can be a strange view. I've also mentioned that confidence comes with this line that we can sometimes see so well. The fact that its simply there (or not there) almost makes it seem (although perhaps a misguided thought) like its the line that gives us the confidence vs the other way around. Like i said in the open, its almost like a friend that guides us. I think I can feel similar confidence walking up to the green and ball and yet then only after i look at the putt discover the line isnt there today (or on that hole). and kind of be suprises about it wondering where it went.

But i think as "Hawk" said it can simply be the ability we have to focus that day may just not be there. We can try hard to find it, in fact when not seeing the way we tend try even harder and one may think they are focused in becuase of the extra effort but just because we try harder doesnt have to mean our ability to focus more sharply is there . Only thing i know for sure is that our imaginary lines are certainly in our mind and the mind can do strange things regardless of how we think we feel. Sometimes the two just dont match.

I think it may be a magical potion created by

practice
concentration/focus
confidence

I think part of my struggles this year came from "over confindence", especially in the Morgan Cup...based on my success on those greens last year I didn't spend alot of my practice time during that week on the greens and I think it showed during the competition rounds....last year during the Morgan Cup...I saw a bright green line on each and every green....this year I struggled.

I'm going to have to try "the line" next time out. My putting has gone to !@#$ (37 & 39 putts last 2 rounds) so I'm willing to try anything.

"May the force be with you" lol. next time out.

Back