2 Full Swing Grip Questions

glennQNYC

Reaction score
Two quick grip questions...
Would you please clarify how near the butt of the shaft my hand should be? I usually keep my hand below the imprinted rings (as shown), but I have been accused of choking up.

48e18c9e-8570-5f8f.jpg

Also- I notice that I do not hold the club with even tension across my fingers. I'm using more grip strength in some fingers more than others. Would it be wise to seek a more even distribution of grip pressure?

Last edited:
Great question and thanks for the photo. You are NOT choking up on the club. No part of your hand/grip should be past the two circles on the top of the grip. If a person does there is no shaft under there it is just rubber.

In terms of where to feel grip pressure in the hand. I want you to hold the club with the ring and middle finger of both hands. Plus the fact that you leverage the grip against the pad on the hand this is plenty to hold the club firmly in place.

Thanks for replying. I appreciate the help.

That is 2 very good questions. I kind of wondered the second one myself. I have noticed that when I don't grip the club real tight, I mean have it like 70% of total squeezing power, I tend to hit the ball a lot better. When I try to kill it, I grip tighter and it's like I can't clear the head or something. As far as in what's proper, I don't know. But using a less tight grip seems to work for me. The problem I have is I don't always remember to loosen up!

Back