ThePolishDude

Reaction score
Handicap
3.4 GHIN
OK THPers looks like I will be relocating from western PA to salisbury, NC. I would appreciate any info you guys have on moving. Never have moved this far so not 100 percent which route to take to get all our stuff down there.

My wife and are moving because of a great job opportunity for her. I will be staying and working until the house sells and then moving down and trying to find employment. This will be a very nervous time for myself and my wife so if anyone can offer some advice we will gladly take it.

I guess the best bonus will be year round golf!

dude you're from Erie?! must've have missed you signing up for THP. apologies there...
anyway, i can't believe you're leaving Erie weather for NC weather. sheesh.

when we went to MB last year for MC2.0, we took 79-19-77. (then we took 74 thru Winston-Salem but) then it looks like you can hop onto 70 in Statesville, right on over to Salisbury. a little under 9 hours.
traffic was good and you can really haul ace thru West Virginia. although, there was one stretch thru the West Virginia mountains that was lengthy, so make sure you fill 'er up early and often.

good luck on the move!

Congrats and good luck on the move!

Sounds like a great time to join a golf league so you can meet some new people.

Great location. Tons of places to golf and if you by chance like racing there are racetracks everywhere.

I do not have any advise for you but wish your family the best during the move. Moving can be stressful especially if you are living apart.

Good luck on your big move!

Good luck with the move!

Seriously..why would anyone want to leave Western PA??

Haha, I kid. Best of luck to you though!

Hope you like Sweet Tea. Congrats in the move.

TapAhoy!

We just recently relocated however it was an in state move. It's quite the adjustment with having to change doctors, mechanics, hair cut shop, utilities, etc. Once you get all that settled it starts to feel like home. It's still a process for Kelly & I as we had many challenges to overcome. Good luck and enjoy your new state!

Good luck on selling the house quickly and finding the job you want in N.C. I am sure you will love the year round golf and welcome to the sunny south.

You know what sucks most about relocating? Your forced to spend to much time with the wife.

I recently moved from Wisconsin to Ohio and had the same situation as you, where my girlfriend moved first for work and then I moved after my house sold.
When we moved, we did a container move with the company U-Pack. They drop a container at your door, you load your stuff in it and then you call them, they come pick it up and once you get to your new location you call them, they drop it off and you unload your stuff. That way, you can drive your own car, which is nice because, honestly, driving a U-Haul truck sucks. It was also a little bit cheaper than renting a U-Haul too and was the cheapest container moving companies that we found.
Beyond that, obviously doing the long-distance thing with your wife for a while will suck but youll get through it.

Good luck man! I moved from Northern VA to Huntsville AL last year and then moved to SLC in June (all for work). I am a pro at the logistics of moving if you need any tips or help. Best advice I can give is to stay relaxed. Plenty of things will be a pain and especially if you deal with movers, things won't always go your way. Just take it in stride and it will be fine!

Fellow THPers that have relocated. Could you please pass along what companies you thought were the best. We thing we are going to go with U-PACK. Any of you have experience with them? Any comments ideas are more than appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'd personally go with the UPACK or the PODS company. Both are the same things.

We (my wife and I) just relocated a couple months ago. Northern Indiana to South-western Virginia. We just used a budget truck (terrible through the mountains, and didn't have cruise!) because we didn't have any big things like furniture and a bed. We were lucky to move in with my grandparents down here until we can get a place of our own. If you having the big things like a bed, chair, sofa, I'd suggest going with a company that moves it for you, and you pack (PODS or UPACK)

I don't have experience with anything like that, my company handled most of the en route stuff for me (set me up with an agent, relo agency, and then local movers). How much different is UPACK or PODS from just renting a UHAUL or Penske truck?

I'd personally go with the UPACK or the PODS company. Both are the same things.

We (my wife and I) just relocated a couple months ago. Northern Indiana to South-western Virginia. We just used a budget truck (terrible through the mountains, and didn't have cruise!) because we didn't have any big things like furniture and a bed. We were lucky to move in with my grandparents down here until we can get a place of our own. If you having the big things like a bed, chair, sofa, I'd suggest going with a company that moves it for you, and you pack (PODS or UPACK)

NDfan, how you liking the area? I must say that there is a big spot in my heart for SW VA

I don't have experience with anything like that, my company handled most of the en route stuff for me (set me up with an agent, relo agency, and then local movers). How much different is UPACK or PODS from just renting a UHAUL or Penske truck?

They drop off what is basically a shipping container at your house. You take however long you want to pack it. When your done you give them a ring, they come and pick it up. Most time they will hold it in one of their warehouses. You then make your move in your car, then give them another ring saying you are at your new location. They will then deliver your container to your new house, where you then get to unpack it. I think they do also offer loaders and unpacker to assist, but that I'm not sure on

NDfan, how you liking the area? I must say that there is a big spot in my heart for SW VA

So far so good. I'm basically a sucker for 2 things, curvy roads and golf. And down here I get both! Also never was a big fan of snow unless it was actually on Christmas, all other times it could go away. I'm liking the weather as well.

THP'ers I officially found a new job and get to join my wife in NC. We will be living in mooresville, nc so I will be definitely looking for some games if anyone is near that area. We are looking to meet some new people and we both enjoy the game. Definitely excited to get out of the 3 feet of snow up here in PA!

THP'ers I officially found a new job and get to join my wife in NC. We will be living in mooresville, nc so I will be definitely looking for some games if anyone is near that area. We are looking to meet some new people and we both enjoy the game. Definitely excited to get out of the 3 feet of snow up here in PA!

There are lots of THPers in NC. That's awesome, congrats dude!

Congrats TPD, and welcome to the south.

Back