Golf Galaxy Closing Stores

SW

Grinder
Reaction score
Handicap
So I made the long trek into town last night to have my irons fit and regripped. I noticed when I pulled into the parking lot there were bright colored signs in the Windows of my local GG that the entire store was 10-30% off, instantly my thoughts went from updating my irons to snagging that new 3 wood I'd been pondering.

I walked in the store and noticed people were buying store fixtures :bulgy-eyes: the store manager came up and told me they were closing and were no longer doing any club work...well damn

Apparently there are several stores closing up and the store in naples is to be used as a "clearance store." Anyone else noticed your local store shutting up shop? There are supposedly 12 closing nationwide.

Yup, the one in Chandler is closing. I'm gonna check it out today.

expanding too much too fast?

That's too bad. I've been dreaming that they'd open one around here.

So I made the long trek into town last night to have my irons fit and regripped. I noticed when I pulled into the parking lot there were bright colored signs in the Windows of my local GG that the entire store was 10-30% off, instantly my thoughts went from updating my irons to snagging that new 3 wood I'd been pondering.

I walked in the store and noticed people were buying store fixtures :bulgy-eyes: the store manager came up and told me they were closing and were no longer doing any club work...well damn

Apparently there are several stores closing up and the store in naples is to be used as a "clearance store." Anyone else noticed your local store shutting up shop? There are supposedly 12 closing nationwide.

That stinks. I know the Pro that worked there, Jeff Gunning. He used to be the pro at the Albany store when we first opened. He was great. Sad to see a place like that close up shop in areas.

I thought for a second you were talking about the one at Gulf Coast Town Center. I can throw a rock and hit that one from my house.

I would say it's just competition in Naples that's hurting it. You've got several established stores that people go to that have been there for years. (Edwin Watts, Golf World, some smaller boutique type stores I can't remember). Some of those have closed as well (Zee's and a huge place that just specialized in women's golf apparel and clubs; Golf for Women) Plus you've got the PGA Superstore (which isn't doing that well from what I've heard).

wow... that sucks... didnt dicks buy them out or vice versa?

dicks bought them out a few years ago...they really made a switch as to their operations spring 2009. Started seeing more "Walter Hagan" clothing and clubs, and less pre-owned.

Also changed their employee discount haha

Free driving range?? heh
They do know me there.

The GG I frequent are a great bunch of guys. I went in there the other day looking for boxes to ship clubs and they gladly gave me several.

Funny thing is there is a Dicks in the same center, with a lot of the same clothing/clubs/etc. I've never understood that. But I have buddies that would rather go to Dicks than GG and vice versa. I've been going to Dicks more with my wife, because she says she has an easier time finding women's clothing. I personally can't stand the place.

Whew! I just checked GG's Facebook Fan Page and the Beaverton OR store is NOT closing. The ones that are closing according the post are:

Gurnee, IL; Baybrook, Plano, Arlington, Austin, and Sugarland, TX; Tucson and Chandler, AZ; Encinitas, CA; Naples and Jacksonville, FL; and Renton, WA.

That is true, there a quite a few competitors in the Naples area, but I always found GG to the best to deal with when it came to service and answering questions, plus the scenery is better. It was a bad location for the store though, I was here for about 6 months before I knew the place was there, kinda hidden away behind another row of shops. First thing I thought was that the soon to open Golfsmith had something to do with it, but Jeff told me it was an all around bad deal. Sucks cause he was a great guy, super helpful and hopefully the golf gods will smile on him at his next place.

PGA seems to being doing pretty well, at least I contribute my portion ;) But now I guess I'll have to go the town center GG store, which sucks cause that Bass Pro lures me in everytime.

I thought for a second you were talking about the one at Gulf Coast Town Center. I can throw a rock and hit that one from my house.

I would say it's just competition in Naples that's hurting it. You've got several established stores that people go to that have been there for years. (Edwin Watts, Golf World, some smaller boutique type stores I can't remember). Some of those have closed as well (Zee's and a huge place that just specialized in women's golf apparel and clubs; Golf for Women) Plus you've got the PGA Superstore (which isn't doing that well from what I've heard).

Bummer to see the Austin location go, but it is very near Golf Smith, and a Dick's. Golf Smith also has their corp office and store a little further away as well.

Whew! I just checked GG's Facebook Fan Page and the Beaverton OR store is NOT closing. The ones that are closing according the post are:

Gurnee, IL; Baybrook, Plano, Arlington, Austin, and Sugarland, TX; Tucson and Chandler, AZ; Encinitas, CA; Naples and Jacksonville, FL; and Renton, WA.

The one close to me in Arlington closed. The manager told me they were told last Thursday and it shut down three days later on Sunday.

That is true, there a quite a few competitors in the Naples area, but I always found GG to the best to deal with when it came to service and answering questions, plus the scenery is better. It was a bad location for the store though, I was here for about 6 months before I knew the place was there, kinda hidden away behind another row of shops. First thing I thought was that the soon to open Golfsmith had something to do with it, but Jeff told me it was an all around bad deal. Sucks cause he was a great guy, super helpful and hopefully the golf gods will smile on him at his next place.

PGA seems to being doing pretty well, at least I contribute my portion ;) But now I guess I'll have to go the town center GG store, which sucks cause that Bass Pro lures me in everytime.
That Bass Pro is like crack for the outdoorsman.

Arlington is where Im from, surprised that anything closes in that area but it still happens. Must be competition from other stores. The whole thing about Dicks puzzles me too. My GG is also has a Dicks right around the corner but Dicks is awful. Terrible selection and the clubs are all beat up and abused. Clothing selection blows too. Everything overpriced as well.

Phew... I read the first post and instantly picked up my phone and called my GG. I should have just read down the whole post. Its shocking, here in vegas there's only one "super Store" and its a Golf Galaxy. Everywhere else is a small specialty shop. Then I might as well be purchasing clubs in the proshop at my local muni (great clubs, $20 average over price).

If mine closed Id cry. :crying: I think I keep mine in business lmao

That sucks, the one in Renton, wa just opened like a year ago. By far the best store around here.

If mine closed Id cry. :crying: I think I keep mine in business lmao

I was going to say that you can single handedly keep that place from shutting down by having them meet their sales goals.

I noticed that the common theme to the closures is that there is a Dick's nearby. I think they're just trying to avoid redundancy. I personally like the staff at GG better than Dick's.

Closing two stores, they are not going out of business, just bad locations they say. There is one next to a Golfsmith store, I always thought it was a bad idea.

I was going to say that you can single handedly keep that place from shutting down by having them meet their sales goals.

I noticed that the common theme to the closures is that there is a Dick's nearby. I think they're just trying to avoid redundancy. I personally like the staff at GG better than Dick's.

That scares me. The golf section just sucks at the Dicks close to me. Ive seen some decent ones but this one is like a corner part of the store. Id have to find a new place to buy golf crap.

Dicks's says they want to compete with Golf stores I dont see that happening. They never have the new stuff and they dont have the proper staff.

Dicks's says they want to compete with Golf stores I dont see that happening. They never have the new stuff and they dont have the proper staff.

Yeah I dont see that happening either. Unless they make a much bigger commitment to the golf section instead of it being an afterthought with dudes that know nothing about golf. I asked one of the guys about a Callaways Jaws wedge a while back, which they had NONE of, and he looked at me like I was retarded. Really? No Jaws? Dont know what it is? Bye.

Yikes. I will have to hit up the Encinitas one tonight and see if there are any deals before it's gone...

Back