The Barclays - FedEx Cup [spoilers]

Nope. Just a pretty stupid thing for a guy of his stature.

thank god he wasn't on your team, that would have been the opposite of EPIC. yeah, pretty silly move for a guy like that, but it does happen to everyone. wonder if he'll hang out there for the weekend and get some range time in or if he just leaves to go home or something?

Id be on my way to Boston[i think thats next week?]
thank god he wasn't on your team, that would have been the opposite of EPIC. yeah, pretty silly move for a guy like that, but it does happen to everyone. wonder if he'll hang out there for the weekend and get some range time in or if he just leaves to go home or something?

I'd be going to the store for a better alarm clock.

I had no idea either. Sucks for Furyk. I like the guy. At first I laughed because I didn't realize how much trouble it caused him.
Its a PGA Tour rule.

DQ? I could see a fine, or a fedex cup point fine, but DQ? Hm..

I didnt know you could get dq'd for missing your teetime in a pro-am

Its a PGA Tour rule.

I can gather that from the fact that hes dq'd. I think there are better ways around it than DQing guys.

But during the official 72 hole tournament, I would agree that a DQ is necessary.

Can you elaborate on the dots?

Luckily he is high on the points list going in to the week. But man....used his cell phone as an alarm and cell phone lost power...crazy

Goosen was dq'd for this reason at the 05 Nisaan Open

Jim Furyk overslept his Pro-Am Tee time and is officially DQ'd from the Barclays.

ACK!! He's on my TM xFT Team!! Do I get to pick a replacement?

mickelson's gonna win it this weekend!!!

ACK!! He's on my TM xFT Team!! Do I get to pick a replacement?

valuable lesson, wait till the pro am starts before you send in your team

Well, maybe my boys will win even if the judges do not respond favorably to my entreaties, pleas, and outright bribes.

It seems pretty ridiculous, but then again, I set two alarms every night to wake up for work..

I guess it shouldn't be any different for the guys on Tour. If the rule is stated, exemptions don't seem fair.

I may be totally wrong, but shouldn't there have been someone pounding on his door when he didn't show up to warm up etc. I had a boss one time oversleep for a flight, blamed me for not waking him up...I decided I didn't want to work there :)

I may be totally wrong, but shouldn't there have been someone pounding on his door when he didn't show up to warm up etc. I had a boss one time oversleep for a flight, blamed me for not waking him up...I decided I didn't want to work there :)

Afraid not. Grown men with grown up jobs. And players & caddies don't necessarily stay in the same hotel and drive to the course in the same car. Players show up on their own. Caddies show up on their own. Also, lots of players/caddies will stay at a friends or hosts house. The friend/host doesn't necessarily know the player's schedule. Plus, that friend/host has their own family/work to deal with. Their not servants or personal assistants. They just provide privacy, relaxation, a bed and home cooked meals.

i get that someone could have woken him up but for real he is an adult he should know better other than that however i do think he for playoff events where the stakes are this high they should lessen up on the rule maybe like a do it once we fine you do it twice we DQ you that way guys get one time to sleep in or make a mistake, however if they dont show up at all well then DQ them

Also keep in mind that the PGA has it's own rules of protocol would could deviate from the USGA rules.

I always thought the USGA rule on missing a tee time is that you have to get there and hit your teeshot before your group hits their second shots. So, technically, you could be late for your teetime. You just gotta hope you paired with Ben Crane. :D

HOWEVER, Rule 6-3 explains this:

The player must start at the time established by the Committee.

Note:
The Committee may provide, in the conditions of a competition (Rule 33-1), that if the player arrives at his starting point, ready to play, within five minutes after his starting time, in the absence of circumstances that warrant waiving the penalty of disqualification as provided in Rule 33-7, the penalty for failure to start on time is loss of the first hole in match play or two strokes at the first hole in stroke play instead of disqualification.

6-3a/1.5 Circumstances Which Warrant Waiving of Disqualification Penalty Under Rule 6-3a
Q. A Committee may in exceptional circumstances waive the penalty of disqualification under Rule 6-3a for failure to start on time (Rule 33-7). With reference to the following examples, what circumstances are considered exceptional such that the Committee would be justified in waiving the penalty if the player failed to start at the time established:
1. The player gets lost on the way to the course.
2. Heavy traffic results in the journey to the course taking longer than expected.
3. A major accident results in the journey to the course taking longer than expected.
4. The player's car breaks down on the way to the course.
5.The player was present at the scene of an accident and provided medical assistance or was required to give a statement as a witness and otherwise would not have failed to start on time.

A. There is no hard-and-fast Rule. The proper action depends on the circumstances in each case and must be left to the judgment of the Committee.
Generally, only example (5) constitutes exceptional circumstances which might justify waiving the disqualification penalty under Rule 6-3a.It is the player's responsibility to ensure that he allows enough time to reach the course and he must make allowances for possible delays.

6-3a/2 Time of Starting; All Competitors Must Be Present
Q. In a stroke-play competition, A, B and C were drawn by the Committee to play together starting at 9 a.m. A and B were present at the appointed time. C arrived at 9:02 a.m. after A and B had played from the teeing ground, but just in time to play in the correct order.
What is the ruling?
A. C is disqualified for failure to start at the time established by the Committee (Rule 6-3a) unless circumstances warrant waiving the penalty under Rule 33-7.

All competitors in a group must be present and ready to play at the time established by the Committee, in this case 9 a.m. The order of play is not relevant.
If the Committee had adopted the Note to Rule 6-3 as a condition of the competition, the five-minute period would have started at the time established by the Committee. Therefore, in this case the time started at 9 a.m. and C would incur a penalty of two strokes, rather than be subject to disqualification.

6-3a/2.5 Meaning of "Time of Starting"
Q. A player's starting time is listed on the official starting sheet as 9:00 a.m. He does not arrive at the 1st tee until 9:00:45 a.m. and claims that, as it is still 9:00 a.m., he is not late for his starting time. What is the ruling?
A. When a starting time is listed as 9:00 a.m., the starting time is deemed to be 9:00:00 a.m. and the player is subject to penalty under Rule 6-3a if he is not present and ready to play at 9:00:00 a.m. Therefore, the player is disqualified unless circumstances warrant waiving the penalty under Rule 33-7.

6-3a/3 Time of Starting; Both Players in Match are Late
Q. In a match-play competition with the Note to Rule 6-3 in effect, A and B were to start their match at 9 a.m. A arrives at the 1st tee at 9:01 a.m., but before B, who arrives at 9:03 a.m. What is the ruling?
A. If neither player had circumstances which would warrant waiving the penalty for failure to start on time, each player would incur a penalty of loss of the 1st hole (Note to Rule 6-3). Therefore, in equity (Rule 1-4), the 1st hole is deemed halved and the match would commence on the 2nd hole.

6-3a/4 Time of Starting; Player is Late but Group Unable to Play Due to Delay
Q. A player is assigned by the Committee to a group with a 9 a.m. starting time. He arrives at the first tee at 9:06 a.m. but for whatever reason (e.g., weather, slow play or a ruling) the starting time has been delayed until after he arrives (e.g., 9:10 a.m.). What is the ruling?
A. As the group was unable to start at the time originally established by the Committee and the player arrived before it could do so, the player is not in breach of Rule 6-3a.

Good lord that's a lotta rules, I'd need a cliff notes version of the rulebook just to makes heads or tails of this section :silly:

I get it that this is how they raise money, but DQ...too much!!!

I blame myself. If I'd only told him I had picked him for my wedge contest team, he might have made the extra effort...

Mickelson view on Furyk DQ: If a rule applies to half the field then it can't be allowed to affect competition. Says he talked to Finchem.

Mickelson view on Furyk DQ: If a rule applies to half the field then it can't be allowed to affect competition. Says he talked to Finchem.

interesting point by Mickelson. I don't see them making a change to the rule, wonder how it will play out

That's a very good point. Hopefully Finchem is realistic. Saw the 1 in 4 rule might come in to play as well, they are certainly doing what they can to make the sport better for everyone, especially the fans.

Tiger 3 under through 5.

That'll be 1.5 under according to the terms of his divorce agreement.

Hes striking the ball absolutely beautifully, hopefully this keeps up.

Back