Putters - What Draws You In?

Doing a little research on something and would love some honest feedback on what draws you into a putter?

Brand Names? Sometimes
Tour Usage? Not really
Shape? Definitely, I'm all about it looking good as well as working good
Insert? No
Color/Paintfill? Yes, part of the looking good
Finish? Yes, part of the looking good
Etc? I'm also about how it feels in weight in my hand

Have you ever bought a putter without trying it? No way!

Have you ever been fit for a putter? Yes Are you playing the right weight, lie angle, offset, etc? Not at the moment, my fit putter and I are having a lover's spat (i.e. I'm 3 putting everything with it right now.) It's mental, not the putter but I'm a golfer so...it's taking a break right now.

Are you brand loyal? Sorta, I'm pretty much in love with Rife If so why, and how did you become brand loyal? I love the feel of their putters and, current situation with my Rife not withstanding, they seem to be really rock solid putters.

Do you think technology has been added to putters? I don't know. I've switched back to a 35 year old putter and it is dropping everything right now Do you think it helps? I think maybe materials have helped a little in regards to feel.

I know this is a lot of questions and hopefully some will take the time to summarize what FIRST draws them into a putter.

To summarize, for me it is look that makes me pick it up to begin with and then it is feel that makes me buy it

Doing a little research on something and would love some honest feedback on what draws you into a putter?

Brand Names?
Tour Usage?
Shape?
Insert?
Color/Paintfill?
Finish?
Etc?
I am big on clean lines and new technology.. That is why I got sucked into the method (happily) and almost bought the tour black #9 Odyssey.. Sleek, clean looking putters really get me going

Have you ever bought a putter without trying it? Why?
Almost... All the hype on the ghost just about sucked me in.

Have you ever been fit for a putter? Are you playing the right weight, lie angle, offset, etc?
no, never. I think my next putter may go through that experience.

Are you brand loyal? If so why, and how did you become brand loyal?
I have never found a brand that outweighs another.. Even after trying two Cameron's.

Do you think technology has been added to putters? Do you think it helps?
Obviously, with buying the method and their grooves, I'm a believer. I can roll the ball much better.

I know this is a lot of questions and hopefully some will take the time to summarize what FIRST draws them into a putter.
When I started my putter hunt, I went for technology... I tried simple blades, and simple mallets, and neither gave me the feel I was looking for. Reviews, technology, explanation.. It all plays a big part for me.

Brand Names? I am not brand loyal.
Tour Usage? Don't give a darn really. I like that people use SeeMore on tour
Shape? I am partial to anser style putters, but I also like Camilo Villegas' putter shape. I love the FGP style of shape.
Insert? I have nothing against the right insert. I don't want something that will trampoline the ball past the hole.
Color/Paintfill? I tend to like black putters, but color is not really important to me. That being said, I really want to own a daytona ghost
Finish? anything non-glare.
Etc?

Have you ever bought a putter without trying it? Why? Nope

Have you ever been fit for a putter? Are you playing the right weight, lie angle, offset, etc? Not yet, but I have already contacted SeeMore about that

Are you brand loyal? If so why, and how did you become brand loyal? Nope

Do you think technology has been added to putters? Do you think it helps? I think technology plays a major role in putters, but not necessarily the technology in the putter itself. I think milling technology has been a huge boon to putters.

I know this is a lot of questions and hopefully some will take the time to summarize what FIRST draws them into a putter. What first draws me into a putter is what first draws me to a woman, it is how pretty she is. And, just like going on the first date, if it doesn't speak to me I let it go.

Brand Names - I am a loyal Cameron follower, but that doesn't limit my collection. A putter needs to look attractive and pleasing to the eye.
Tour Usage - I like to see what the guys on tour are using, but doesn't impact my decision on a putter
Shape - I like classic shapes, like the 8802 blade, Anser/Newport head. The massive heads Ping and TM offer are a joke, IMO.
Insert - No thank you
Color/Paintfill - none. i like to dip the head in acetone and take off all paint.
Finish - That white stuff TM is doing looks awful, fake like plastic. I prefer a darker finish, like a chocolate/oil can or black.
Etc?

Have you ever bought a putter without trying it? Why? No. Again, it has to look good and feel good. Getting out to events and trying out others putters is a great way to figure out what is right for you.

Have you ever been fit for a putter? Are you playing the right weight, lie angle, offset, etc? Yep, a couple times. 2* flat, 4* loft, 34.5" and 340g is the right setup for me.

Are you brand loyal? If so why, and how did you become brand loyal? I am a Cameron follower. I've had a classic Newport in black since the late 90s and been at it ever since. I have graduated to a couple 009 models that I ordered through a distributor. I like most of the work SC puts out, quality product taht gets the ball in the hole. I never get caught up in the hoopla people throw at the cult following, the stuff he does is pleasing to my eye. But like I said above, I have other makers in my collection because I like the looks of their creations, but a Cameron is my gamer. Just feels best in my hands. And honestly, I use my putter 2x as much as my driver, so I'm willing to invest in my putter with one big purchase rather than buy a new driver every 6 months @ $350+ a pop.

Do you think technology has been added to putters? Do you think it helps? No, I think this whole massive head phenominon is silly. People are putting with space ships on the end of a shaft. Keep it simple. If you get fitted and work with a PGA pro, you can putt with anything. Don't get hung up in marketing and craziness, just keep it simple and go with what gets the job done.

Brand Names? Always have never purchased a no-name putter.
Tour Usage? Yes just bought a See More putter because I saw Zach Johnson use one.

Insert? Have both, like no insert better.
Color/Paintfill? Doesn't really sway me one way or the other.

Have you ever bought a putter without trying it? Why? Yes liked the look or saw it on TV.

Are you brand loyal? If so why, and how did you become brand loyal? No but must be a brand name.

FTUO - I see you have a pretty strong opinion against mallet putters, going as far as calling them a 'joke' and implying that a golfer should change their stroke to be able to use something different. I'm not sure why a golfer wouldn't just work with what's best suited for the stroke they have? I like the weighting and stability of a mallet putter. It's works best for my stroke, which is slightly inside - to square. Why would I want to burden myself with being concerned about the looks when it gets the ball in the hole (for me)?

Honestly I couldn't tell you what draws me in. I just know what putter I want when I see it. It's more of a feeling thing with me.

Brand Names? - No specific brand names, but I couldn't bring myself to buy a component putter when I had the chance.
Tour Usage? - Doesn't matter to me. I don't think very many people play my putter. It suppose it would be cool to see, though.
Shape? - I prefer a mallet/mid mallet. They give me more confidence for some reason.
Insert? - I need an insert. I think it's because I'm so used to the sound, feel, and way they roll the ball, that I can't adjust to a milled face. I tried, but it didn't work for me.Color/Paintfill? -
Finish? - Don't care. The finish on my putter is bordering on ugly.
Etc?

Have you ever bought a putter without trying it? Why? - No, I haven't.

Have you ever been fit for a putter? Are you playing the right weight, lie angle, offset, etc? - No, I haven't been fit. I would like to, but to be honest, I am happy with my current set-up. As my game evolves, I may seek out a fitting.

Are you brand loyal? If so why, and how did you become brand loyal? - I'm not brand loyal, as I almost switched brands earlier this summer. I do like the Odyssey inserts alot, so they are usually the first ones I pick up in the store.
Do you think technology has been added to putters? Do you think it helps? - Yes and yes. Weighting, offset, and inserts are a few. I think all three help me, whether it's a mental thing or physical. Not really sure.

I look at shape first, and then the face for insert. I just don't care how a putter looks. There are certainly some putters that aren't classicly attractive out there. If they have the shape I prefer and an insert, I will give them a try.

Hawk -
Not all mallets are bad, it's the massive space ship things that I don't get. I don't see how any of that helps. If it works for someone, go right ahead, I personally don't get it.

I have a couple Cameron Red X models and a couple Odyssey mallets from a few years back, but those are small compared to some of the heads out there today. My preference of putters is a classic head shape, it's what I grew up with, it's what I am comfortable with.

The beauty of it all is that there is something out there for everyone.

Brand Names? When I first started most definitely. It was what got my feet wet with putters. Thats all you have to go on at first. I was dead set on an Odyssey but once I settled down and tested a bunch, I was able to find the right putter for me.

Tour Usage? It helps me see whats out there or could be coming soon. But really doesn't sway me. More or less another source of info.

Shape? Yup. lol. I started with a blade then when I got back into the game went to a mallet. Now I'm back to a blade because it sure is pretty. If its a blade I pick it up first.

Insert? I don't perceive the putter to be firm. Too soft. It's a wrong assumption though in some cases. But it does keep me away at first.

Color/Paintfill? I like a relaxing color scheme. I don't like the putter to be bright. I think comfort when I look at a putters color scheme.

Finish? love the darker finish. Whatever reduces glare. I like it to when I wear sunglasses and it helps me feel cooler during the summer haha.

Etc? The grip! Even though you can get an aftermarket, I feel a good grip is essential. Its the first thing you feel on a putter. Some companies probably lose out because they go cheap on the grip and the initial impression is muted.

Have you ever bought a putter without trying it? Why? Nope! I'm too indecisive to do so with putters. I use them way too much lol. They are the most accessable to test anyway. Much more inviting to test a putter than any other club.

Have you ever been fit for a putter? Are you playing the right weight, lie angle, offset, etc? I wanted too. I will probably just do a fitting and see if my current one can be modified. No idea if its right but I love the feel anyway.

Are you brand loyal? If so why, and how did you become brand loyal? I'm becoming brand loyal to Wilson Staff. The company really seems to take the approach to make great technology available to everyone for an affordable price. I don't feel like I'm overpaying. That type of business makes me feel like I have value other than money in their eyes.

Do you think technology has been added to putters? Do you think it helps? Yes! The Wilson Staff I play now has really helped me out. The face of the putter helps keep the balls on a better line for me while I refine my putting stroke. I couldn't be happier.

That's definitely true. Just check out the pictures of JB's collection :)

bout time for me to reply to this I figure...

Brand Names? Not brand loyal at all, if it feels good and works for me that is more important than the name.
Tour Usage? I am sure on some level I am influenced by the tour players, but I can't say it would make the difference between me buying one or not. It is nice to see a tour player using what I use.
Shape? I like 2-3 shapes, I have a center shafted mallet, and a Wilson 8813 (OLD) so anything that looks like these I like. I don't like the anser style, or usually anything offset.
Insert? Never used a putter with an insert, but wouldn't mind trying one.
Color/Paintfill? Does not matter.
Finish? Again - does not matter.

Have you ever bought a putter without trying it? Why? No.

Have you ever been fit for a putter? Are you playing the right weight, lie angle, offset, etc? Yes, I was fit for a Scotty Cameron Laguna 1.5 putter, with standard lie angle and the 1/2 shaft offset. I loved it, but could not justify spending $350 on it at the time.

Are you brand loyal? If so why, and how did you become brand loyal? Nope!

Do you think technology has been added to putters? Do you think it helps? Yes, I have the Rife 2 bar mallet, and I think it helps with the adjustable weights in it. But that being said I putt almost as well with my old Wilson 8813 as I do with the Rife.

If it helps me sink putts, it draws me in.

Shape gets me to pick it up and test it, I have not purchased a putter without some kind of testing at a local store.

I have one particular shape that I really like so I tend to lean that way.

Brand Names? Nope, most overrated thing ever in putters, there are so many companies out there people have never heard of that make gorgeous and dynamic flatsticks tat people won't try because they aren't "name brand".

Tour Usage? No, last I checked I'm a hacker and not on tour, so, if it works for me THAT is hat matters, not if it works form them.

Shape? I prefer a thicker more mid-mallet type design.

Insert? If not milled Carbon Steel then yes. I've found only two inserts that work for me, my SeeMore and Bobby Grace's HSM.

Color/Paintfill? Plain is better in paintfill, in all my customs its plain white but I'll go with some red or blue too. Actual flatstick color, I prefer a black or brushed look, no white....hate it. I bought a white one recently (SSB Center-Shaft Zing style) that is on its way to the resort to get redone as we speak.

Finish? Flat/matte is better for me. Glare is bad, but a nicely patina'd copper is gorgeous.
Etc?

Have you ever bought a putter without trying it? Why? Yes, multiple. I can do my own club-work for lie and length changes as well as regripping.

Have you ever been fit for a putter? Are you playing the right weight, lie angle, offset, etc? Yes, 33.5", Zero offset Center shaft, 3* flat (68*), at least 355-365g headweight.

Are you brand loyal? If so why, and how did you become brand loyal? Yes, customer service. I will defend SeeMore, Bobby Grace and Kari Lajosi to the death for this, they are people who work FOR their consumers and will talk to you personally with the drop of a hat to help you out. I've not had the same luck with some of the "brand names". Putters are THE most personal club in your bag and that make customer service a BIG thing.

Do you think technology has been added to putters? Do you think it helps? Yes, SeeMore's RST is an obvious one but the fine tuning of loft and lie we have available as well as inserts and V-Grooving make it so you can have a putter adjusted for your particular area and what greens you play, thats huge in the roll of the ball.

I'm one of our biggest resident Putter Ho's here at the Paradise. I love flatsticks, love them. Your putter is the most personal club you have in the bag so why are so many people so reluctant to fit themselves properly or spend money on them. I've got the 300.00 driver and the 300.00 putter and let me tell you the money was better spent on the putter, its a club you use on every hole and needs to fit your eye and style, period. I see so many playing outlandishly upright putters when having them bent a few degrees flat could help solve that mis-putt left and right. I do believe thought here are hidden gems out there that no-one knows about, you don't need the fully custom putter if it fits your eye and rolls nice, just have it adjusted. I'm also a big guy in the belief that the "brand names" (one in putters in particular, but anyways) are incredibly over-rated in the market just because they are seen on T.V. and with tour guys. If more guys would come off their high-horse and utilize what is out there in the form of things like SeeMore's RST or Rife and Yes! grooving they could become much better on the greens, instead they have to have that 350+ dollar Scotty. Just my opinions of course, but I'm adamant in them.

Hawk -
Not all mallets are bad, it's the massive space ship things that I don't get. I don't see how any of that helps. If it works for someone, go right ahead, I personally don't get it.

I have a couple Cameron Red X models and a couple Odyssey mallets from a few years back, but those are small compared to some of the heads out there today. My preference of putters is a classic head shape, it's what I grew up with, it's what I am comfortable with.

I dont think its too hard to understand or see. The bigger mallets are easier to take straight back and straight through. Simple as that. Its about stability in the stroke. Hit a Wilson 8882 and then a Its Bitsy Spider. Huge difference. Plus you have MOI working for you with the mallets. Some people need this, some dont. Look at all the Ghost putters on tour. Those guys arent all using blades. Just my .02 and like you say, theres something for everyone.

For me it's all about look while im standing over it and feel. the shop where i play has a really good selection and the pro makes sure to stick at least one or two of every major kind of putter in there so if i find something that fits my eye on the shelf i take it down and roll it a couple of times in the shop, practice putting mat thing, if it looks good standing over it and i think it rolls it decently enough i take it out on the practice green and then the course i only put it in my bag if it is rolling it better than the stick in my bag at the moment. of course if the one in my bag lets me down i have old faithful, the White Ice number one. i also find myself more turned on to blade style putters the corza ghost is the first mallet i have ever owned

To be honets, I'm a big fan of Tiger, so that's why i was drawn to Scotty Cameron, and then I played with one, and I been putting so much better since I got it a year ago, my fav putter so far. Look and feel would definetely be what I look for.

I dont think its too hard to understand or see. The bigger mallets are easier to take straight back and straight through. Simple as that. Its about stability in the stroke. Hit a Wilson 8882 and then a Its Bitsy Spider. Huge difference. Plus you have MOI working for you with the mallets. Some people need this, some dont. Look at all the Ghost putters on tour. Those guys arent all using blades. Just my .02 and like you say, theres something for everyone.
I think its funny that someone bashes another companys putter for the way they're making it and says its like a "space ship", "a joke", and "looks awful", but yet goes out and spends $350 on a scotty. :D
To be honets, I'm a big fan of Tiger, so that's why i was drawn to Scotty Cameron, and then I played with one, and I been putting so much better since I got it a year ago, my fav putter so far. Look and feel would definetely be what I look for.

You say look and feel would be what you look for but yet you said you only bought the scotty because tiger was playing it. So did you go after just the scotty name and then go off of looks or just almost the exact same putter tiger games? just wondering...

Scotty fan's are a very eccentric group, and to be honest, I think that's what has driven me to stay away.

For example, say what I just did on some forums and you'd be stoned to death lol.

Brand Names? I like to stick with Taylormade, Ping, Yes!, or Oddysey
Tour Usage? Does not matter
Shape? I do like ones with odd shapes, but not big huge ugly looking putters
Insert? Is a must, all inserts look and feel differently
Color/Paintfill? Huge factor, probably the biggest
Finish? Next in line to what draws me in.
Etc?

Have you ever bought a putter without trying it? Why? I did buy my Yes! Putter without trying it, my friend had a yes putter and I loved the insert so I was automatically sold on it and knew any yes I tried I'd love.

Have you ever been fit for a putter? Are you playing the right weight, lie angle, offset, etc? No, and no idea.

Are you brand loyal? If so why, and how did you become brand loyal? Only loyal to a few brands, just want to limit my searching options.

Do you think technology has been added to putters? Do you think it helps? Yes, and yes. Look at the old bullseye putters, do you think they feel the same as the Nike Method?

Biggest thing that draws me to a putter is if it fits my eye. How square the face sits when I align it. I could take 5 putters, same brand, same specs, same everything, yet maybe only one would fit my eye. If I can align it, I can work on the distance part. Gotta try before you buy!

mullie

Back