Help with Handicap

9-Iron Man

Exciting Times
Reaction score
Handicap
High
In an attempt to figure out my handicap I plugged my six most recent rounds of 18 (with 4 being from PGA National) into a handicap calculator online. It gave me the following:

Actual Calculation: 26.88
Index: 26.9
Factor: 26

So based on this is my handicap 26.9? Seems logical to me, but not having done this before, I'm not 100% sure. Thanks!

In an attempt to figure out my handicap I plugged my six most recent rounds of 18 (with 4 being from PGA National) into a handicap calculator online. It gave me the following:

So based on this is my handicap 26.9? Seems logical to me, but not having done this before, I'm not 100% sure. Thanks!

Yes sir. Index will be your adjusted handi rounded up from the figured.

PS congrats on your awesome prize pack from :taylormade: & :thp:

Yes sir. Index will be your adjusted handi rounded up from the figured.

PS congrats on your awesome prize pack from :taylormade: & :thp:

Thanks JRod!!

In the end, this seems rather low based on the scores I entered. Does anybody know of a good calculator to use?

OOB...its probably low cause the worst score it will calculate is double bogey and the slope of the course is probably ridiculous. All this is taken in to the calculation.

http://oobgolf.com/

that sounds correct. 9I, i use a site called fairwayfiles to track my scores, stats and hcp.

We played tough courses. Take the squire for the example- I shot an 88 (+16) but when I plugged it into OOB (great site, btw) it treated the score as a 85 (+13). The course itself was worth 3 strokes for me over an average course

I joined that fairwayfiles and then only entered a couple times. If I remember right, don't you need 10 or 12 rounds before it starts kicking out the high/low and giving the right avg?

With the course ratings/slope everything averages out and based on your hc you can't take over a certain number per hole to enter on the card.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Thanks all! I'm off to hit the range and play 9 holes. I'll check those out after I get back!

Just input all your rounds into a site like this and it will do all of the work for you.

http://www.mobilegolfstats.com

Many other sites out there as well. Most of them are free too which is nice.

OOB...its probably low cause the worst score it will calculate is double bogey and the slope of the course is probably ridiculous. All this is taken in to the calculation.

http://oobgolf.com/

that sounds correct. 9I, i use a site called fairwayfiles to track my scores, stats and hcp.

I use both and both sites are good

TC you have not posted in a while at Fairwayfiles.

I use both and both sites are good

TC you have not posted in a while at Fairwayfiles.

No I haven't. I didn't play much before the outing and I didn't keep my scorecards from pga either. Honestly, sometimes I just forget.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Check out greenskeeper.org. You can ost your scores and they will calculate your handicap just as the usga does. You can also record your stats there, and they'll give you gir's, fairway percentage, save percentage, average score and putts. Pretty much every golf stat out there. They also have course reviews and maintinence updates like aeration and construction.

+1 for mobilegolfstats.com. I use it a lot. Has great stat tracking and graphs and such.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

One thing you have to be careful with, is the slope and course rating. For example, my course from the tips has a slope rating of 137, however if I move up two tee blocks, it has a slope rating of 126. This factors heavily into the weighted index you receive after posting a number of scores.

Also, at least using GHIN (the handicap tracker my course uses), it takes your ten best rounds out of your last twenty played, and uses them to factor your handicap. It also combines separate 9 hole rounds into a single 18 hole round.

So for example, I am currently a 6.5 index. That makes me an 8 handicap from the gold tees at my course (second from the back) but if I were to move up and play the green tees (third from the back) my handicap would be a 7, based on the slope rating being substantially lower.

9i, I have kept a record of all my rounds this year on oob and fairway files. Both give me around hcp of 34.5. They take into account my 10 best scores. When I put the same 10 scores into the about.com handicap calculator it gives me a hcp around 26.

I have broken 100 quite a few times, but don't get much benefit due to one of the courses I play most often being rated so low. On the other hand, I scored a 114 at the Champion Course and I actually lowered my hcp by 1 point due the slope. Without seeing your actual scores, I can't be sure, but the numbers that the calculator gave you seem a bit low to me. I would try out one of the sites listed here to get a better picture.

One thing I recommend is putting your scores in hole by hole if you can. This way you ensure you are following the ESC rules in the event you had a couple blow-ups. If you don't have them, just enter the score itself.

Back