Hitting into people

I read somewhere people play faster when they have room to do so. The idea of the article was to allow people to get to the green on a par 4 before teeing off. I've tried this and it seems to work quite well. I find keeping up seems to be the issue then. I don't like being close enough to have the slimmest chance of nailing someone with a shot. I do wish others felt the same way as I have had many near misses and have been hit by a guys drive a long time ago. Felt like a sucker punch to the ear, and I was ready to return the favor for a short while. I agree with johndeere10 on this, I try to give em room or go around if possible.

When I golf with my father in-law and cousin in-law, we usually tee off in front of my wife, mother in-law and sister in-law. When have hit our second shot, the women hit into us because they usually can't get to us. Well once I was walking up to my ball in the fairway for my second shot on a par 5, I hear my mother in-law scream, "JOE!!!" I turn around in time to see a pink golf ball fly an arms length away from my face. It was my wife's drive.

When I golf with my father in-law and cousin in-law, we usually tee off in front of my wife, mother in-law and sister in-law. When have hit our second shot, the women hit into us because they usually can't get to us. Well once I was walking up to my ball in the fairway for my second shot on a par 5, I hear my mother in-law scream, "JOE!!!" I turn around in time to see a pink golf ball fly an arms length away from my face. It was my wife's drive.
She was out to get you. Did you not take out the garbage?

She was out to get you. Did you not take out the garbage?

Maybe. She was probably after my $10 life insurance policy.

No offense towards you personally, but this is still INCREDIBLY wrong in my opinion.

I take no offense. You're entitled to your opinion. I did call the clubhouse twice to get the Marshall out after these people. He never showed and when I asked the people (politely) to either speed up a little or just let me get in front of them really quick (it would have been easy as he was talking on his cell phone while still in the cart). So when the guy gets smart with me and tells me I can't tee off in front of him because he can't be held up cause he has somewhere to be later I get a little aggravated. What made me decide to do what I did is when he (after telling me he was in a hurry) stayed on the phone with me standing there for about two more minutes. He then decides to have a conversation with his wife about a baby shower while on the teebox instead of hitting. Also, when I teed off the gentleman and lady were both right next to the teebox, about thirty plus feet to my left on the cart path. So just to be clear they were in no danger when I hit. I'm just asking, is it really that ridiculous that I got in front of these people without getting in their way after the way that they were acting?

I've only been hit twice on a golf course and both times I was behind the fellow making the shot! I tend to be extra cautious because I find that waiting that extra few moments doesn't really cost time when you're waiting anyway and I walk fast once I've hit.

I've only driven into a group once and it was one of my very first rounds; a mandatory company outing, which started me on this golfing thing. It was the long ball par 5; there was a group in front and the folks I was playing with, after watching me hit errant and short drives for 10 holes told me to tee it up. I was so nervous that I took a nice easy swing. Drove right into the group and ended up with the outing long drive trophy. I've only hit it that long a few times since (3 years ago.)

A couple of years ago my son and I were on the course and things really backed up on the 7th. Hew was 5 at the time and would play short yardage so we walked up the fairway to the group that was waiting for the green to clear and asked if he could tee off with them as they played their approach shots.

On the green we could see a family of very novice golfers taking forever to hole out. The group waiting suggested that my son go ahead and hit (we were about 125 yards out). Before I can respond, my son who was teed up and ready to go, fires away with his driver. The ball lands short of the green and then rolls up to about 6' from the hole, right in the middle of the group on the green. The dad turns around ready to come unglued when he sees it was the 5 year old who had just hit the shot and then just apologized and cleared the green. The guys around us nearly fell over laughing and asked if my son could play in their Tuesday money game.

I'm just asking, is it really that ridiculous that I got in front of these people without getting in their way after the way that they were acting?
I try to go around them by skipping a hole or two then doubling back if possible. It's like on the highway, people will try to block me from passing them but when I do they never want to maintain my pace, it is curious. Them yelling at you must have been pretty funny, either way you got past them without an assault charge so I'd call it a par.

I take no offense. You're entitled to your opinion. I did call the clubhouse twice to get the Marshall out after these people. He never showed and when I asked the people (politely) to either speed up a little or just let me get in front of them really quick (it would have been easy as he was talking on his cell phone while still in the cart). So when the guy gets smart with me and tells me I can't tee off in front of him because he can't be held up cause he has somewhere to be later I get a little aggravated. What made me decide to do what I did is when he (after telling me he was in a hurry) stayed on the phone with me standing there for about two more minutes. He then decides to have a conversation with his wife about a baby shower while on the teebox instead of hitting. Also, when I teed off the gentleman and lady were both right next to the teebox, about thirty plus feet to my left on the cart path. So just to be clear they were in no danger when I hit. I'm just asking, is it really that ridiculous that I got in front of these people without getting in their way after the way that they were acting?

If you decide you cannot wait, then you skip a whole and go around them. You NEVER hit into someone regardless if they are 30 feet to the left of you. What happens if the unthinkable happens and you slip and shank it? Or top it to the left? Crazier things have happened. Based on etiquette, you were in the wrong, regardless of how much a jerk the guy was. Two wrongs dont make a right.

If there is anyone in front of you at all, they are always in danger, whether they are directly in front or 30 ft to the side.
Were they wrong to talk on the phone or chit chat with his wife? Yes, of course they were. Were you wrong to bomb one past them? 1 million percent yes.
You should have either waited for them, or just skipped the hole and complained at the clubhouse.

I have accidently hit into people before, and it's always been on a blind shot where I thought they were clear.
I have been hit into several times and hit with the ball a couple of times. When I am hit into, I turn and give the arms raised,"what the heck"? signal.
That is the one and only warning I give. The next time, I pick up the ball in clear view of the moron that hit it and put the ball in my pocket.
He can then come ask for it back. In the 4 times I have picked up the ball, I have yet to be asked for it back.

If I would have been someone in that group that you bombed one over, you my friend would have been going back to the clubhouse without a working driver....
Provided you could remove the 2 pieces from your backside.

I notice from reading this thread how many incidents of "ball intimidation" seem to come out of not allowing somebody to play through or slow play. To be honest I just don't get that. What is the big deal about letting somebody play through. It is like somebody has gotten an advantage at somebody else's expense and we sure as heck are not going to let that happen! Just let them go. Would you rather feel rushed all day because they are going to be right there the whole time. If instead you decide to ignore them what does that prove. Granted in this thread and especially at this site we are going to hear more from the offended than from the offenders. I am inclined to think most here will just let somebody play through.

If there is one thing that I find annoying in the whole discussion of slow play or pace of play and etiquette for playing through it is that there are many cases when you are being pushed from behind by a guy that simply does not allocate enough time for a round and just pushes the hell out of the field. To be honest I don't get that either. I have never really been thrilled about the idea of rushing through nine or eighteen holes like a house afire because I have decided not to allocate enough time for the round.

I got hooked up with a guy once that I guess just does that. I guess if he has a spare hour and 45 or so he will try to push it for nine holes and if he thinks he can squeeze eighteen into three hours and 30 he will try that. The guy was a complete jerk the whole time, constantly yelling at the group ahead etc. Christ he would not let them breath. By the same token he really could not justify asking them if he could play through. It does not matter how fast you might want to play, it does take some time to get around the course. Jeez if I had not allocated enough time for a round I would just walk off the course when my time was up. I just think that as much as slow play is an issue, it is inherently wrong to jump on a guy as soon as he seems to take what looks to you like an extra step or an extra moment especially if the genesis of your complaint is that you have decided to blitz though a round.

Nothing in my view can legitimize trying to get a ball up close to another player and it just does not matter what direction the ball is going in either. You don't even have to see somebody hit. All you have to do is listen to the sound the ball makes when it impacts the ground close to you to realize how much damage it could do if it hit flesh and bone instead of ground.

I was hit into the last time I played. It was a slower round with buildups in front of me and behind. I was on a par 5 with my drive sitting in the middle of the fairway about 200 yds from the hole (480 yd hole). There was a rise and you couldn't see the green from where the tee box was. So to make sure that the people on the tee saw that I was waiting, I waited right at the top of the rise to hit my second shot (about 240 out). The guys on the green ahead of me were poking around and taking their time which wasn't really a problem, I just had to wait. Well the nimrods on the tee got tired of waiting and fired 2 drives off anyway which landed right next to me. So, since I'm laid back as can be, I just walked over, took out a sharpie and wrote on their ball, "Don't hit into me." Needless to say, I didn't get hit into the rest of the day. :D

Unless it's purposely done, I don't let it bother me. If it's purposely done, I might have a word, but I don't really remember a serious incident. Usually looking back with a hands in the air WTF elicits apologies when whomever it is catches up. In 38 years I've hit in to some groups by mistake. It happens. I don't like to wait any more than the next guy, but I'm happy with just complaining about it within my group. I can't imagine hitting into another group just because they are slow. I don't want to play angry so I just sit, wait, and talk. A golf ball to the noggin could kill someone, or damage them to the point where they would take a job digging holes.

Stray shots from golfers on adjacent holes are usually far more dangerous than those behind you. I've had shots going full speed bounce off my cart, even had one come in the passenger side and go right between my head and my buddy's head and slam into my clubs sticking out the top of my bag. How it missed the edge of the windshield and both our faces I have no idea. Been hit maybe four or five times with bouncing shots from adjacent holes, but never injured.

Kevin

So, since I'm laid back as can be, I just walked over, took out a sharpie and wrote on their ball, "Don't hit into me." Needless to say, I didn't get hit into the rest of the day. :D

I was golfing with my wife and the group behind us were pushing us all day. We were riding up to the corner of a dogleg right and as I was lining up my second shot, a ball hit our cart while my wife was still sitting in it. The guy never yelled 'fore'. I walked over and hit the guys ball into the driving range which was next to the fairway. Needless to say there were words in the clubhouse.

Hey Colt - why were you so rushed? Did you have somewhere to be? Was there a good reason to be upset that you were being held up?

I am surprised only one person has mentioned this so far...

If I am hit into I will pull out a tee and place their ball (in the same spot) on the tee.
My course has a couple blind shots and "bells" to ring when the coast is clear. I get really irked when people don't use them, or assume that I am someone who doesn't use them. I have come WAY to close to being hit on that hole a couple of different times.

I am surprised only one person has mentioned this so far...

If I am hit into I will pull out a tee and place their ball (in the same spot) on the tee.
My course has a couple blind shots and "bells" to ring when the coast is clear. I get really irked when people don't use them, or assume that I am someone who doesn't use them. I have come WAY to close to being hit on that hole a couple of different times.

When people don't use or listen to the bells is so frustrating. Especially when there is a large sign on tee box that says "Wait for the group ahead of you to ring the bell before you tee off." and a sign on the bell that says "Please ring bell before continuing to your next shot."

So, since I'm laid back as can be, I just walked over, took out a sharpie and wrote on their ball, "Don't hit into me." Needless to say, I didn't get hit into the rest of the day. :D

I like this idea. Definitely going to try this one should I ever get hit into again.

this happened to me also,hit it at least 40 yards past my longest drive ever at the time,the guys were in the middle of the fairway and I'm usually not,boy did I beg for their forgiveness

I was golfing with my wife and the group behind us were pushing us all day. We were riding up to the corner of a dogleg right and as I was lining up my second shot, a ball hit our cart while my wife was still sitting in it. The guy never yelled 'fore'. I walked over and hit the guys ball into the driving range which was next to the fairway. Needless to say there were words in the clubhouse.

Hey Colt - why were you so rushed? Did you have somewhere to be? Was there a good reason to be upset that you were being held up?

I may be a pretty laid back guy, but if you hit the cart with my wife or child in it... I would be very hard pressed to remain in control at that point. While I would never hit it back at them, there may be words on the next hole and certainly will be a complaint registered with the club house. You don't mess with my wife or my kid.

I may be a pretty laid back guy, but if you hit the cart with my wife or child in it... I would be very hard pressed to remain in control at that point. While I would never hit it back at them, there may be words on the next hole and certainly will be a complaint registered with the club house. You don't mess with my wife or my kid.

I was going to hit back in their direction, but at the last moment decided not to. I thought that the driving range was sufficient punishment.

As I read though this thread, I must say that I am a bit surprised by some of the comments, while on the other hand, I'm not so surprised. I have alway felt that if someone has anger problems on the golf course, then more than likely it is part of their everyday life.

The bottom line is that there is NEVER a situation where anyone should take matters in their own hands on the golf course if you feel you have been wronged. My course just does not tolerate it. If you call the clubhouse and no one comes out, you just have to let the situation go and address it when you come in. If the situation is bad enough that you feel it warrants some type of retaliation, then you need to just leave the course and head to the clubhouse. Ninety nine percent of the time, you will get a refund or a free round pass, at least at my course for doing the right thing.

I played golf for thirty five years and I could count on one hand the number of times I have been mad at someone at the golf course because of the actions of others. Each time I let it go at the time and then took care if it at the clubhouse after the round which is the right thing to do. Anything you can do to not make the situation worse (hitting the ball back, hitting it into a pond etc.) is ALWAYS the best action. Always.

Be better than the person behind you causing the problem. Why anyone would go so low as to behave like the bad guys, is just beyond me. Like I said in post #11 and JB repeated, two wrongs never make a right...ever. Plain and simple.

^^ While I agree with the hitting back into a group, hitting over a group, etc is bad taste and should never be done. I don't really have any issues with the people that pick up the persons ball and keep it or sink it in the mud. Definitely reporting it to the club house or ranger is best and there are plenty of people who in a startled moment of having a golf ball scream into their cart, feet, gear don't always think clearly.

Unless it's purposely done, I don't let it bother me. If it's purposely done, I might have a word, but I don't really remember a serious incident. Usually looking back with a hands in the air WTF elicits apologies when whomever it is catches up. In 38 years I've hit in to some groups by mistake. It happens. I don't like to wait any more than the next guy, but I'm happy with just complaining about it within my group. I can't imagine hitting into another group just because they are slow. I don't want to play angry so I just sit, wait, and talk. A golf ball to the noggin could kill someone, or damage them to the point where they would take a job digging holes.

Stray shots from golfers on adjacent holes are usually far more dangerous than those behind you. I've had shots going full speed bounce off my cart, even had one come in the passenger side and go right between my head and my buddy's head and slam into my clubs sticking out the top of my bag. How it missed the edge of the windshield and both our faces I have no idea. Been hit maybe four or five times with bouncing shots from adjacent holes, but never injured.

Kevin

Hey now cheesehead! I was a proud hole digger before I got hit. Pictures of the head trauma can be found in a couple of threads around here.

Hey now cheesehead! I was a proud hole digger before I got hit. Pictures of the head trauma can be found in a couple of threads around here.

LOL. I was hoping you would catch that. That was a vicious hit you took.

Kevin

Back