Fyre Lake National Review - Sherrard IL

Yeah I agree with you on this Hawk. Great course but it need some work and someone out there that knows what there doing. As bad as the green were yesterday I was surprised at how good my putting was. Maybe if the greens are crappy and your game is crappy you succeed?
We played this again today for $36. Hate to say it, but I'm not going back until I hear from somebody else that it's in good shape. I can deal with some crab grass in the fairways, but the greens are just bad. Granted, they aerated a few weeks ago, but I'd be surprised if they cracked 5 on the stimp meter and I'm not exaggerating. The old cups weren't even sodded over. There was straight up mud spots were the old cups were. The greens were not mowed or rolled this morning and the cups were not moved. Drainage issues on almost every hole.

Just too many courses that I can play for the same price or cheaper that are in much (MUCH) better condition. I want them to succeed, but I don't think I can deal with what they have to offer at the moment.

Two negatives make a postive lol!

It's too bad, because I know that they want to put a product out there that is very good, but until they do I can't spend the money on it. I can play my normal course for $22 walking and the conditions are far better. It's not as good of a layout, but I don't really care.

Man that's too bad. Sorry to hear that. Such incredible potential there. You should come down and play Lick Creek some time. Or, go a little further South and play my favorite course, Crane Creek (we have a lot a creeks around here apparently). Also been wanting to get down to Decatur and play Red Tail Run.

Man that's too bad. Sorry to hear that. Such incredible potential there. You should come down and play Lick Creek some time. Or, go a little further South and play my favorite course, Crane Creek (we have a lot a creeks around here apparently). Also been wanting to get down to Decatur and play Red Tail Run.

Oh yea love me some crane creek. Also played red tail twice this year. Great course they have there. It was in great shape and I learned to play it safe there. If your not in the fairway your in knee high British open grass.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I've never played Red Tail. Sounds like it'll have to be a must play. :) Thanks for the info.

We played this again today for $36. Hate to say it, but I'm not going back until I hear from somebody else that it's in good shape. I can deal with some crab grass in the fairways, but the greens are just bad. Granted, they aerated a few weeks ago, but I'd be surprised if they cracked 5 on the stimp meter and I'm not exaggerating. The old cups weren't even sodded over. There was straight up mud spots were the old cups were. The greens were not mowed or rolled this morning and the cups were not moved. Drainage issues on almost every hole.

Just too many courses that I can play for the same price or cheaper that are in much (MUCH) better condition. I want them to succeed, but I don't think I can deal with what they have to offer at the moment.

Has gotten a little worse each time I have played it, last time was in the middle of punching fairways so they gave us a great deal. While talking to the starter he mentioned they had "had just divorced themselves from the management company", hopefully they bring it around be a shame to run it into the ground.

yep no problem man. I think you'll really enjoy it. Let me know if you ever go down there, ill tag along with you and maybe Zenger can meet us there
I've never played Red Tail. Sounds like it'll have to be a must play. :) Thanks for the info.

Has gotten a little worse each time I have played it, last time was in the middle of punching fairways so they gave us a great deal. While talking to the starter he mentioned they had "had just divorced themselves from the management company", hopefully they bring it around be a shame to run it into the ground.

Yea, it's a shame. The guy I talked to said the same thing as you. He also said they didn't expect to get as much play as they did this year, so they were sort of understaffed when it came to grounds crew. That I'm not sure I understand. If you're doing better than expected, hire another guy or two. Aside from some dryness, which really isn't that huge of an issue considering all the water they have available, this has been the most mild summer in years. That course should be flourishing (like every other course in the area is).

It would be pretty lame if it went downhill or closed altogether. It's a neat layout and very unique for our area. I'll see what they have to offer midsummer next year, but I'm not taking the bait again.

Major bummer. As much as I want to play this course, just isn't worth the drive out.

Im glad I didn't jump on the $20 deal golf now had for tomorrow. Decided to play the arsenal instead.

Looks like the website is down for the course. Was going to check to see if they have even opened yet. Suppose to warm up at the end of the week but Maybe I can get up here in a couple weeks or so.

Interesting. I doubt they are open though dude. Only the very worst of the worst are open here right now. The ground is still frozen underneath and the good courses don't want people screwing up the fairways/greens. I'm betting it will be the first week in April.

Yeah probably, say my local one Parkview is open, but Lick Creek said they won't open for another 2 weeks. Gotta make sure the course is in great condition so people dont' get out there and tear it apart. Can't remember does Frye Lake do the Golf Now deals??
Interesting. I doubt they are open though dude. Only the very worst of the worst are open here right now. The ground is still frozen underneath and the good courses don't want people screwing up the fairways/greens. I'm betting it will be the first week in April.

Yep they do. Crazy deals. I probably wouldn't play there otherwise, because it's a little too much at full price for the conditions. At least last year. Hopefully it matures a bit this year.

Sweet, yeah I hope the course turns around this year. This place has alot of potential and if they put some money in it and work it right, it will be a great place to play. Hopefully the next time we play it won't be cloudy, cold or windy. And they roll the greens before we play.
Yep they do. Crazy deals. I probably wouldn't play there otherwise, because it's a little too much at full price for the conditions. At least last year. Hopefully it matures a bit this year.

Man, I'll say right now that we may want to wait until June then. Spring golf around here is terribly windy and that place is really exposed b/c of the lake. Brian and I played there last April and it was just brutal.

Yeah good point, say just a couple of holes are really tree covered, and yeah the pics at the front of the thread shows how windy it was. Brian told me he had a lovely time that day. Did you ever post the hole of the day on the 18th? I was thinking you just did that par 3.
Man, I'll say right now that we may want to wait until June then. Spring golf around here is terribly windy and that place is really exposed b/c of the lake. Brian and I played there last April and it was just brutal.

I can't even remember dude. Life is a blur lol.

haha I hear ya. I just remember I shot a par on that par3 and what par 5 for 18? I was pretty happy for that since you taped it, think I always need a camera on me when I play.
I can't even remember dude. Life is a blur lol.

18 is a tough finisher, especially in the wind. That's a good hole to par.

18 is a tough finisher, especially in the wind. That's a good hole to par.

Yes it is, you remember if it was a par four or five? Was thinking I used my 3 wood for my second shot.

It's a par 4.

Thanks Hawk.. Can't wait to get another par on it or maybe a birdie. Gotta make sure you tape me on it though.
It's a par 4.

Opening day.

$36 with a cart on Sunday at 8am. Anybody want to play with me?

Back