Standard wedges and longer irons?

jefrazie

Reaction score
Handicap
13.9 OOB
First off, I am 6'4". I was fit for irons that were +1, 2* up.

That being said, I have always played a standard length/lie wedge. My full swing wedge play has always been ok but not great while the short game has been pretty good. Is there a problem with this or should not even bother thinking about it?

I also play a 34" putter if that makes any difference.

Id lengthen them. You can always choke down for short game, but long game is important too.
First off, I am 6'4". I was fit for irons that were +1, 2* up.

That being said, I have always played a standard length/lie wedge. My full swing wedge play has always been ok but not great while the short game has been pretty good. Is there a problem with this or should not even bother thinking about it?

I also play a 34" putter if that makes any difference.

When I go through my yearly fitting, we do every club in the bag. At 6'4" I would have a fitter take a close look at your shorter clubs.

im in about the same situation as you, however I had inadvertently not gotten my wedge lengthened last year when I bought it, and played a whole year not even noticing it, and at teh same time, my short game when south real bad, was blading balls all over the place

tried my friends lengthened wedges and chipped much better, not to say it was like Mickelson, but no blading whatsoever

just dropped off my 56* yesterday to get a inch added

I'm 6'2" and was in the same situation as you last year. My irons were +3/4" but I was playing a few different wedges all at their "standard" length. This year I picked up new irons as well as wedges and had them all lengthened +3/4". I think I'm hitting my wedges better on full shots and have not noticed any difference in my short game as I typically choke up on my wedges around the green.

I'm 6'4" and play +1 and 2up also, including the wedges. I did the same thing last year, bought new wedges and for some reason didn't think about getting them bent and adding the extra inch, definite difference was noticed.

Back