How Much Versatility Do You Have In Wedges?

I love the idea of having to "manufacture" a shot and use creativity to get the ball close to the hole... wedges just give you more options in the toolbox from full swing to quarter swing and everything in between... normal grip to gripping down incrementally for different distances and ball flight options. Had the opportunity to play some 1 club, 2 club and 3 club "outings" as a junior just messing around in the late evenings and that helped a lot toward learning how to make 1 club do many different things.

Wedges are my weakness, but I definitely have improved. It took me a while to learn not to ever swing full with anything less than a PW, and it also took me a while to learn to use my body rotation to control flight and distance from < 70 yards.

I've never been fitted for wedges, but I believe my technique has improved to the point where it would make sense to do so. I'd also like to gain a better understanding of bounce, and how I can take better advantage of this feature across a wide variety of shots.

I like to think I'm pretty versatility with my wedges. Actually it's the reason I don't carry a PM grind, because I think it's a niche wedge, that while it's good at it what its for, it leaves me wanting more in other areas.- I play the RTX 2.0 CB wedges. I like taking full to 3/4 swings with them. I struggle with that using a PM grind, whereas my Cleveland 58 is a perfect 85-95 yard club. I used all 3 50,54,58 from inside that depending on how I want the ball to fly in. This year I went with the same bounce and grind on both 54 and 58, it's simplified the game for me. I just pick the loft and go.

As for practice. I practiced my short game a lot in the early season, and as the year goes on my desire to practice has gone down. Usually I'd be just as happy to go practice as I would play, but this year it's been more playing.

Are you a full swing only guy? Do you struggle from distances like 45 yards? Or do you have some different shots in your bag to take over. Do you practice different shots with your wedges including flighting high and low? And finally, do you purchase your wedges with this in mind? Or with full swings in mind?

Purchased my wedges with versatility in mind. I was a wedge ho' for many years and wanted to settle down - I did. 2+ years with the same Edel set.

I use my 60 for the most versatility within 60 yards of the green. Coming in high, low, the low hit, skip and stop (still working on it), the Phil Hinge and Hold (very reliable), short flops, longer flops, sand, low chips (yes, with the 60), getting out of the junk, lean the shaft backwards for high shots etc. I require lots of stated bounce with lots of relief and a low leading edge, which is why the Edel is so good. I do not like to open a wedge as I want better accuracy.

With the 55, it's mostly full shots, low skip and stop, and chipping around the green, and longer sand shots.

Last edited:
I like to think I'm pretty versatile with my wedges. I tend to only use my 60* from 100 yards and in... But I can hit all different types of shots with it. I do need to work on being able to hit lower hit and stop balls with it though. That's the next thing on tap for me. I don't buy wedges too often, but when I hit them, I try to make sure that it feels good at contact, and that it fits my eye while chipping. That's what I need with a wedge.

I fell pretty strong with dialing in different distances. Though some days are better than others.

I carry a 52, 56, 60 and use them to manage the less than full shots. Full swings with a smooth tempo shots are 123, 108, 90 but an 80-85% swings (taking my hands back to about 11 O'clock cover the yardage gap of 115-95-75 from full swings. A 9-3 swing with each club has about a 10 yard gap an works on 60-50-40 yard pitch shots. Practicing these shots helps take the guess work out of it. I can also flop the 60 if I need to carry a bunker but its certainly not my preferred shot.

I used to practice these shots quite a bit, but now only hit about 20 of these shots before my round with my 56.

basically never take full shots with my 58, especially off of soggy lies. I just do not have the ability to pick it clean without hitting it thin in my game at all.

However, I now have a 3 dot RTX 2.0 so I'll go full out occasionally again from a harder lie and I expect better results than the 1 dot I've been playing with since May. 54 I'll go full shot on though no prob.

100 and in is my strength, I'm confident I can usually put myself in a good situation with my wedges. I do practice them often from various yardages and lies. Only if the rest of my golf game would cooperate.

I don't use my 54* and 58* for full swings very often at all - generally I have better success knocking down a 50*. So, I purchase those wedges based on short game versatility - ie. bladed wedges in those slots. The 50* is a much more frequent full swing club for me, and is my 100-110 club. Therefore, I purchased that wedge with the full swing in mind - cavity backed with a little launch help from the lighter shaft.

As far as specialty shots, I practice a lot of different shots with my wedges - half and 3/4 swings, flops, running chips, and different flights. My bread and butter are basic chips and flops though.

Last season I would've said either full shots or greenside chips.

This season I have become much more confident with 1/4 and 1/2 swings just so long as I make sure to do a full follow-through...

Also have become more comfortable with "hooding" a wedge to keep it down so that it hits the green and checks up if needed when under a tree near the green.

I think I'm pretty versatile with my wedge game. With my 54 degree I can play a couple different shots as that's the wedge I feel most comfortable with. I don't like to take full swings, so most of my wedge shots are 3/4 or 1/2 swings. In the event that I need more club, the gap wedge and pitching wedge are solid.

I was just commenting to my buddy yesterday that while my scores have gone up this year, I have increased the versatility of my wedge game. I've learned to be more effective by clubbing up and taking a 1/2 or 3/4 swing on longer shots and no longer do I go straight for the higher lofted club around the greens. My short game has actually been fun this year.

I very rarely take a full swing with a wedge other than the PW that came with the set and occasionally my GW, most other shots are 3/4 or less.

I use the Pelz "o'clock" method for shorter shots and I practice it quite a bit

Back