Do you feel like you have to play certain equipment?

stevececil

Sweating it out in AZ!
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm going to be playing in my first ever THP event, The Gauntlet, and I feel almost a responsibility to play clubs from the sponsoring equipment manufacturer, in this case Callaway. I know THP does not tell anyone what to play unless clubs are given as part of the event package, but there is an awkwardness in showing up to a THP/Callaway even with a bag full of other OEM clubs. I have never played Callaway other than buying my first Odyessy putter last Christmas. I'm sure their clubs are amazing, but I have not been able to afford to replace my current set. I don't know if this just comes across as rambling, but I feel as if I owe something to the OEM's that support these incredible events.

No I play what works for my game. Yes I have some brand loyalties that I will look at them first and give them the first chance to get my business but in the end I play what works for me. I can understand the wanting to play clubs by the brand sponsoring the event. But I guess I look at it differently as my thoughts are if I was going to go that route, every scramble I play in I should be using the businesses that are sponsoring them. I.e. I played in a scramble last year that was sponsored by AAA auto and I don't use them or feel the need to as they don't provide what i need at a price point I want. Just an example of how I think about it.

Personally? Not really. It's a learning experience and definitely makes me want to support the companies moving forward after positive interaction, but I wasn't going to go out of my way and buy something I didn't want/need at the time just to play their stuff. I also don't think they would want or expect you to put yourself in a bad situation just to do so either.

I played an event with Cobra last year without a single cobra club, and I was in the Gauntlet last year with only an Odyssey putter...but look at my WITB now haha. I wouldn't sweat too much about it.

I think that your example of the everyday scramble is outside of what I was thinking. I am talking about one in a lifetime bucket list type events. That the OEM's spend a considerable amout of time, effort and money to make them special.

Here's a fun story for the OP. I played in the 2014 Gauntlet for Jason Finley.

I had a Titleist staff bag, Taylormade driver, Titleist woods, Taylormade hybrid, Taylormade irons, Vokey wedges, and an Odyssey putter.

First day, Finley walks past my cart and yells loud enough for the neighborhood to hear, "Hey look, some assshole is going on tour with Titleist." Every time I mishit a drive (happened way too often) he would say, "Loft up."

Here's the thing, if you show up with a bag full of other OEMs' equipment, you may get some stick, but roll with it. If you leave the event after being around those fine folks and you don't want to play their equipment, that's fine to but they are awesome people and are the real reason I choose to play Callaway equipment.

I haven't felt the need to play equipment of the sponsor of an event but I have found myself looking for equipment of the sponsors based on their treatment of THPers before looking at other manufacturers.

It will be totally fine if you show up with other OEM equipment. However, don't be surprised if you're seeking to pick up some Callaway gear after the event. I was in the King 2014, and after the event I found myself with a few more Callaway clubs than I had before. I have far from made my whole bag Callaway, but I gave them a hard look afterwards and still do whenever I'm looking to change.

Here's a fun story for the OP. I played in the 2014 Gauntlet for Jason Finley.

I had a Titleist staff bag, Taylormade driver, Titleist woods, Taylormade hybrid, Taylormade irons, Vokey wedges, and an Odyssey putter.

First day, Finley walks past my cart and yells loud enough for the neighborhood to hear, "Hey look, some assshole is going on tour with Titleist." Every time I mishit a drive (happened way too often) he would say, "Loft up."

Here's the thing, if you show up with a bag full of other OEMs' equipment, you may get some stick, but roll with it. If you leave the event after being around those fine folks and you don't want to play their equipment, that's fine to but they are awesome people and are the real reason I choose to play Callaway equipment.

Hmm. If only my wife wasn't left handed, I'd bring her clubs with me to AZ. She's got an entire bag of Callaway.

Not at all man! You need to play to your strengths and not introduce weaknesses just because of a sponsor. I was in the StaffProto event and although the clubs are going to make some noise in the golf market, they didn't fit my game. Just because I got them close to free, if they aren't going to work for me I'm not going to to force it. It will just lead up to more frustration we already see on the course. I'm probably going to stick to my Taylormades but I think the GW from the set might have to stay with me! It is a versatile club around the greens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fun fact:

Showed up to the OG Grandaddy with Cobra woods and SCOR wedges

Showed up to the Adams Event with an entire bag of Callaway clubs

Both times I got a little bit of crap, but as long as you know it is all in fun you will be just fine! I play Callaway now and probably for the rest of my life because of the treatment from those people, but don't feel obligated by any means.

Being born handsome instead of rich, I understand that one cannot just purchase golf equipment just anytime they may like. Moreover, I don't think anyone should be expected to do so. However, remember, for example, in the case of Callaway, they sell balls, gloves and golf shirts that display their trademark. Additionally, you can still be of value to them even if you cannot or do not purchase their equipment. I'm guessing most of us have golf buddies that mention the need for new equipment, so you could say to them something like--I was at this event sponsored by Callaway and they showed some extremely interesting stuff, maybe you should.................

Ill jump in here and say absolutely not.
Heck tons of THP Events include gear of some kind.
Those in the Gauntlet will receive golf balls, and accessories and maybe a few surprises.
Those in the Cup will all get bags and half will leave with new clubs.
I would say about half of the THP Events include some form of equipment and of course The Grandaddy of em all, receives everything all expenses paid.

Take it all in. Enjoy the company and your surroundings. Learn a bit about the company and the equipment they make. And most importantly, have fun.

Those in the Gauntlet will receive golf balls, and accessories and maybe a few surprises.
I would say about half of the THP Events include some form of equipment and of course The Grandaddy of em all, receives everything all expenses paid.

Take it all in. Enjoy the company and your surroundings. Learn a bit about the company and the equipment they make. And most importantly, have fun.

This is still one of my favorite wrinkles that I've seen about the 2016 schedule. That's makes for some cutthroat competition, there.

Along these lines, I've got an eye towards Callaway for some equipment purchases I've made partly because I'm headed out to play with them. But it's also equipment that has worked really well for me in the past. The 2014 Big Bertha might be my favorite driver ever up to this point. The GBB seems like a spirtual successor, and I'll have one of those in the bag in the near future.

Enjoy the event and the people that will be part of it. Don't worry about what your bag is made up of bc in the end it's about having fun, hanging out with the best marketing team a golf OEM has & maybe get hooked on Callaway along the way.

I tend to gravitate to either Taylor Made or Cobra gear for some reason

I play what I want, when I want and while I give every opportunity and I embrace the OEMs when I am lucky enough to get into events, I dont feel like I have to stack the deck to please them.

Well said!

Yes. My current setup, outside of 1 club is from companies that we sell at my work. I try and support the reps who best support the club and make themselves available to our members and staff. I'm trying to balance future purchases go include companies that we sell, plus support the board.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Heading into an event? No, I am not changing out my bag. The OEMs have to know they're dealing with a golf population of consumers and we will have multiple things in our bags. On the other hand I'll be pretty inclined to buy soft goods or golf balls from the sponsoring an OEM.

If I receive equipment from an OEM at an event I do feel an obligation to play that gear for some reasonable amount of time (unless I absolutely cannot get it to work for my game).

i like where your head's at, but i don't think it's necessary. and i love blu's story about finley. that's hilarious.

Have fun and play whatever you want man. Don't feel obligated in anyway

Regarding equipment, there is no need to feel obligated to game the sponsor's equipment. Play you current sticks. Hopefully, you'll try that OEM's gear at the event and like it enough to make the switch.

The only thing I would recommend, etiquette wise, if possible, would be to not wear clothing or hats from another OEM. I would never wear a Titleist hat to a Callaway sponsored event, and vice versa. It may be difficult to accomplish this with shirts and shoes, unless you have those options available. I have a pair of Nike and Adidas golf shoes. But, if I was playing in The Gauntlet, I would wear my Footjoys or True Linkswears.

Personally, I would also swap out my headcovers, if I was using another OEM's headcover, for another non-OEM one that I have in the garage. But, I wouldn't buy new headcovers to handle this.

No, there's noting holding me to a specific company, per say.

With that said, I'm a bit of a homer when it comes to Callaway. They've always treated me right, and their products have almost always worked well for me. Plus, ever since around 2013, there products have (IMO) been at the top of top, so it makes it easy for me to stay with them....and then there was the Grandaddy. It makes it REALLY hard to change after that experience! The people, places down to the products, ALLLLL top notch!

Play whatever you want. It was actually interesting at the Gauntlet last year, Callaway guys wanted to check out what was in our bag from other OEMs as well as shoes.

They know their own equipment pretty dang well and so getting to see other guys stuff is not the worst thing. If you hit a bad shot with somebody else's equipment you may get a little razzing, but all in good fun.

I will say, if you come out of the Gauntlet and don't end up buying Callaway gear afterwards I will be very surprised. Great people making a great product is why I look to them 1st before buying anything golf related.

No, there's noting holding me to a specific company, per say.

With that said, I'm a bit of a homer when it comes to Callaway. They've always treated me right, and their products have almost always worked well for me. Plus, ever since around 2013, there products have (IMO) been at the top of top, so it makes it easy for me to stay with them....and then there was the Grandaddy. It makes it REALLY hard to change after that experience! The people, places down to the products, ALLLLL top notch!

Yeah, this is how I feel in terms of the Cally equipment. I'm a big fan of their stuff (as I said earlier, I built my wife an all Callaway bag), so I'm really just using the Gauntlet as an excuse to turn a ponder into a purchase.

Back