Soon to be golf dad

Soon to be golf dad

Welcome to THP. That's awesome news! Like others have said the market place might be the best place to start. Shoot me a PM I may have a few things laying around the basement.

Welcome to THP! Both my sons played high school golf. It was a blast. Check out TM or Callaway preowned websites for great used equipment or if you have a PGA superstore near you.

Welcome to THP! I know at my course a lot of members drop off old clubs that get cleaned up and donated to the high school teams. You might want to check to see if that happens at your local courses. Ask the high school coach if they have an arrangement at a course.

Welcome to THP!

I'd also recommend checking out some of the online retailers like Rock Bottom Golf & Budget Golf or checking eBay. There are a lot of great performing sets from the previous year or 2 that just didn't sell well for some reason that can be had in your price range.

Check out the irons from Cleveland, Cobra, Nike, Tour Edge Exotics & Wilson Staff. They may not be the big names like Callaway, Ping or Titleist, but their clubs are top notch.

Personally, I'd recommend the Wilson Staff C100s or D200s, depending on how much forgiveness/distance your son is looking for.

I really appreciate everyone's warm welcome and the advise that was given. I used to lose quite a few balls before I had kids, but was never really into golf as far as the technology and this brand vs that brand. Hopefully you won't get tired of me and my sometimes stupid questions. So here goes one. Do the higher priced clubs make that much of a difference to a beginner to intermediate golfer?

Thanks again for everything so far.
It depends on what you are comparing the new expensive clubs to. In a recent interview / video posted on THP a manufacturer's designer stated that if you are using an older driver you are definitely giving up distance and forgiveness. It is inexact, but I have tended to think in terms of 3 to 4 year bands - irons and drivers within that timeframe are likely in the same general technology ballpark but when you exceed that time parameter you start falling behind.

I really appreciate everyone's warm welcome and the advise that was given. I used to lose quite a few balls before I had kids, but was never really into golf as far as the technology and this brand vs that brand. Hopefully you won't get tired of me and my sometimes stupid questions. So here goes one. Do the higher priced clubs make that much of a difference to a beginner to intermediate golfer?

Thanks again for everything so far.

Well, the "name" brands spend a lot of money researching new technology and they also pay a lot in marketing (don't want to put out clubs that hurts their image) so I would say yes. As Dazeedmonds say, you can find "new" clubs that aren't the latest and greatest for a good price. That you can find online. When I got back in the game I bought a 5-PW set of Callaway Razr X irons for $350 on Amazon. They were new, just not the latest from Callaway. Also, you can save a lot of money on used clubs and I have a hard time believing that clubs that are a 2-3 year old design are "obsolete." I've purchased from Callaway Preowned before and was very happy with what they sent me. A fitting would be a good thing but if your son doesn't have his swing down yet I would wait until he does.

Welcome to THP. I didn't read past page one, but I'd suggest looking at either Callawaypreowened or TaylorMadePreowned. Both have irons, hybrids, fairway woods and wedges in varying conditions in a lot of different price points. With where you're son is at with his game currently, just getting him some newer equipment could help. However, you don't need to spend a ton to do that. I'd suggest putting your own set together via either or both of those sites using a few model year old equipment.

Welcome to the forum! Great to hear your son in interested in this wonderful game.

It is a few year old model, but if you would like a solid Cleveland Mashie 3 wood in excellent condition, send me a PM and I will be more than happy to send it to you.

So I found a used set of Taylormade Rocketblades 4-PW for $175. Thanks tequila4kapp for that recommendation.

I was asking about the higher end gear to see the benefits vs price. I guess my thinking was if I but him $600 irons now will he get that much better than if I buy him $200 irons. From what I think I am reading, the $200 irons should be close enough in performance, that he will still be able to make good improvements with those until the time that he would actually benefit from the more expensive clubs.

So I found a used set of Taylormade Rocketblades 4-PW for $175. Thanks tequila4kapp for that recommendation.

I was asking about the higher end gear to see the benefits vs price. I guess my thinking was if I but him $600 irons now will he get that much better than if I buy him $200 irons. From what I think I am reading, the $200 irons should be close enough in performance, that he will still be able to make good improvements with those until the time that he would actually benefit from the more expensive clubs.

No he will not get that much better if you buy him more expensive clubs. Have him use sub $200 clubs (I would recommend used Adams) then see how he plays for a season, or even if he maintains interests, and go from there.

I would agree with what others have said. It isn't more or less the "name" it's the technology used and all the big names are at about the same level now days. There are so many rules with the governing bodies, the big names can only be slightly different than each other. I would agree that as long as you get something that was made within the past 3-4 years you should be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a good start for sure. As he improves he'll be able identify what he likes and doesn't like and be able to narrow down exactly what he needs fro his clubs.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Back