The Official NFL 2010 Thread [Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is for OEM and Bridges

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...ek-Cowboys-get-flagged-for-cel?urn=nfl-277540

That was such a blatant violation of the rule that even Marc Colombo(notes) couldn't whine about it. What were Austin and Williams thinking? Did they think that wasn't going to get flagged? Did they not remember last week? You'd think the coaches would have mentioned it 100 times this week that the team shouldn't celebrate touchdowns at all. With this display, one could get the impression that the team's head coach is a bumbling, incompetent mess. (Nah.)

As we wrote last week, the celebration penalty is awful. Grown men playing leapfrog might be lame, but a rule restricting it is infinitely lamer. But the rule exists and veterans like Austin and Williams can't be costing their team 15 yards because of a blatant violation of it.

Wait I didn't watch the game,they got another excessive celebration penalty?

Wait I didn't watch the game,they got another excessive celebration penalty?

Read over the last few pages of this thread. It says it all. Or you could click on the link I just posted and see it there too.

Can't really blame williams on this one. It's so rare he actually catches a pass (usually drops them) , especially for a touchdown.

/sarcasm off

This team is full of idiots...might as well bring back leon lett and flozell adams. Grab Danny White while you're at it he can probably still sling it.

Grown men playing leapfrog might be lame, but a rule restricting it is infinitely lamer...

I'm much more intolerant on this issue. There is nothing lame at all about penalizing these celebrations. If they didn't then the damn would crack and burst and you'd have the whole roster, every assistant coach, and even the water boys in the endzone dancing and singing in unison for 5 minutes on every TD and turnover. They tried the uber-celebrations in the XFL and it was lame and unprofessional. If they let the TO's and Chad Oucho-whatever's run wild then it would spiral out of control and hurt the NFL brand.

I'm much more intolerant on this issue. There is nothing lame at all about penalizing these celebrations. If they didn't then the damn would crack and burst and you'd have the whole roster, every assistant coach, and even the water boys in the endzone dancing and singing in unison for 5 minutes on every TD and turnover. They tried the uber-celebrations in the XFL and it was lame and unprofessional. If they let the TO's and Chad Oucho-whatever's run wild then it would spiral out of control and hurt the NFL brand.

i'd say the upcoming lock out will take care of that.

The NFL needs to ease up on the celebration rule and the officials need to do a better job of knowing when to calling it. When a fat a$$ lineman falls to the ground on accident after a chest bump that is not excessive celebration and should not have been called. The official should have admitted it later and apologized to Bridges and myself. That is an example of the a stupid old official whos clueless and flag happy. Sundays penalty on Austin while I dont agree with it was stupid on his part. And that goes back to the Wade Phillips. That should have been beat into their heads all week and Sunday before the game. I still have issue with it because it wasnt a choreographed celebration and wasnt a group celebration. If you watch it was pretty obvious he was running at Williams and decided to leap frog him. So what. There are times when its a good NO CALL, that would have been a good no call. And like I said before, if that is a penalty then so is every single time they do a lambo leap in Green Bay. But its NEVER called. If were going by letter of the law here, I think that should be called. No Fun in Dallas so no fun in Green Bay either. They started this rule to stop the group celebrations (Greatest Show on Turf) and the use of props (TO and Ochostinko) and I think they need to keep it that way. Bring the fun back!

So the bottom line here goes back to coaching. The Cowboys are poorly coached team. It all points back to Wade and his coaching staff. The penalties and gee shucks attitude dont work for the over paid players in todays NFL. And JB is right on Romo, hes starting to cost the Cowboys games. That last INT led to the winning margin. But JB, hes all the Cowboys have so were stuck with him. And what did we have before him? Nothing better. But right now hes an over paid mistake prone QB.

. But JB, hes all the Cowboys have so were stuck with him. And what did we have before him? Nothing better. But right now hes an over paid mistake prone QB.

I agree completely. They paid him way too early because Jerry wanted that poster boy he had with Aikman again. He thought it was Romo. It still could be Romo. But its not Romo right now. However for some reason for many, he gets a pass. As bad as the coaching staff has been, and they have been bad at preparing these teams, they are still not making the poor check down reads, the forcing of throws, and ridiculous mistakes each week.

I expect him to turn it around here and get the team back on track.

I agree completely. They paid him way too early because Jerry wanted that poster boy he had with Aikman again. He thought it was Romo. It still could be Romo. But its not Romo right now. However for some reason for many, he gets a pass. As bad as the coaching staff has been, and they have been bad at preparing these teams, they are still not making the poor check down reads, the forcing of throws, and ridiculous mistakes each week.

I expect him to turn it around here and get the team back on track.

Well said. I just read a Clayton article and he blasted Garret for the play calling Sunday. I tend to agree with him. The Cowboys needed to go downfield against the Vikings agressive defense but he kept calling the screens and short crap. That didnt work all day but he kept doing it. With all the weapons the Cowboys should be getting more big plays not dinks and dunks.

This sums it up pretty well: John Claytons Last Call

"Despite having Miles Austin, Roy Williams, Jason Witten and a banged-up Dez Bryant, Garrett tried to dink his way to victory against the Vikings. It didn't work.

On the surface, Tony Romo's numbers look decent. He completed 24 of 32 passes for 220 yards and three touchdowns. His quarterback rating was a respectable 98.4. But ESPN Stats & Information calculated Romo completed only 25 percent of his passes when they traveled 6 yards or more. As a result, he averaged 9.2 yards a completion against the Vikings. The Vikings traded for Randy Moss because they were averaging only 9.8 yards a completion.

To make matters worse, Romo threw one interception on a 5-yard-or-fewer throw. For a team that had 11 penalties and numerous mistakes, the Cowboys need big plays, not little ones."

However for some reason for many, he gets a pass.

On the surface, Tony Romo's numbers look decent.

I think it is those stats that keep giving him the pass. Overall my opinion of Romo is this:

Physical talent: A+
Potential: A
Decision making: D
Mental toughness: F

The real problem is that his performance is so negatively correlated with pressure/stress. He can do well all game then blow it when it counts.

man, the NFL is so screwey this year, I just can not for the life of me pick some of these games each week. As much as I complain, I love it!

On the surface, Tony Romo's numbers look decent. He completed 24 of 32 passes for 220 yards and three touchdowns. His quarterback rating was a respectable 98.4. But ESPN Stats & Information calculated Romo completed only 25 percent of his passes when they traveled 6 yards or more. As a result, he averaged 9.2 yards a completion against the Vikings. The Vikings traded for Randy Moss because they were averaging only 9.8 yards a completion.

To make matters worse, Romo threw one interception on a 5-yard-or-fewer throw. For a team that had 11 penalties and numerous mistakes, the Cowboys need big plays, not little ones."

This is what I have been saying all along. He is a stat compiler. A great physical talent that moves the ball at will between the 20s (or did anyway). But right now he reminds me of the video game QB. A guy that selects a play and ALREADY knows who he is throwing to regardless of coverage before the ball is even snapped. That is not on the play calling, but rather the guy taking the snaps.

The craziest part is, that this is a team that has plenty of deep threats and options, yet always chooses underneath stuff in hopes of a WR making a big play.

This is a tough call imo... If the Vikings D is getting at the QB, would you really want him throwing downfield? I would think most QB's decision making is negatively impacted with pressure coming in your face. Not to mention not enough time to let the receivers run the deeper routes. I like quick shots with an agressive d. Maybe not some of the plays they were calling but you can call short passes that do damage.

I might be wrong but it's just what I'm thinkin haha. YEAH.
Well said. I just read a Clayton article and he blasted Garret for the play calling Sunday. I tend to agree with him. The Cowboys needed to go downfield against the Vikings agressive defense but he kept calling the screens and short crap. That didnt work all day but he kept doing it. With all the weapons the Cowboys should be getting more big plays not dinks and dunks.

This sums it up pretty well: John Claytons Last Call

"Despite having Miles Austin, Roy Williams, Jason Witten and a banged-up Dez Bryant, Garrett tried to dink his way to victory against the Vikings. It didn't work.

I used to be good at Madden. But even now you just zero in on a receiver all game and eventually its pick after pick lol. I know not NFL related I'm just going through a growing phase with my Madden play.
This is what I have been saying all along. He is a stat compiler. A great physical talent that moves the ball at will between the 20s (or did anyway). But right now he reminds me of the video game QB. A guy that selects a play and ALREADY knows who he is throwing to regardless of coverage before the ball is even snapped. That is not on the play calling, but rather the guy taking the snaps.

The craziest part is, that this is a team that has plenty of deep threats and options, yet always chooses underneath stuff in hopes of a WR making a big play.

Can't really blame williams on this one. It's so rare he actually catches a pass (usually drops them) , especially for a touchdown.

/sarcasm off

This team is full of idiots...might as well bring back leon lett and flozell adams. Grab Danny White while you're at it he can probably still sling it.

He has actually caught 5 TD's in the last 3 weeks.

Serious question. What is the difference in Austin jumping over williams than say Rodgers jumping into a crowd full of people after scoring?

For what its worth. Yes I agree Austin should not have done it, since what happened last week.

Serious question. What is the difference in Austin jumping over williams than say Rodgers jumping into a crowd full of people after scoring?

Rodgers isn't jumping over teammates to get to the stands.

Dont they fine for premeditated celebrations too? I don't see why the leap is any exception. I hate the leap lol.

Dont they fine for premeditated celebrations too? I don't see why the leap is any exception. I hate the leap lol.

I guess the leap incorporates the fans and maybe thats why? Not sure

So jumping into a crowd full of people is not a penalty but jumping over a teammate is? I think if you throw the flag for what austin did, you have to throw it for the Lambo Leap.

I dont have a problem at all with the leap, just using it as an example.

So jumping into a crowd full of people is not a penalty but jumping over a teammate is? I think if you throw the flag for what austin did, you have to throw it for the Lambo Leap.

Im begging you to go read the actual rule rather than making bold generalizations that are not accurate.

Im begging you to go read the actual rule rather than making bold generalizations that are not accurate.

Im asking a question, I truly want to know. Why is the Lambo leap not excessive celebration but a player jumping over a player is and a big lineman accidentally falling on the ground gets the flag to?

They made an exception for the leap it looks like. From what I'm getting. Which is stupid. Haha. I hate the Packers.

What Austin did was dumb and if I was Jerry Jones I would fine him for it. Enough of this BS from Dallas. Just get out of your own way and you will probably win some football games.

What does he accomplish by leap frogging Roy Williams? What happens if doesn't get up so high and takes down Roy and injures himself and Roy? That would have been great. Just let the guy give his hook'em horns salute and move on. Does anyone remember Emmitt Smith's end zone dance?

They made an exception for the leap it looks like. From what I'm getting. Which is stupid. Haha. I hate the Packers.

damn cheese heads haha
cheeseheads.jpg

What Austin did was dumb and if I was Jerry Jones I would fine him for it. Enough of this BS from Dallas. Just get out of your own way and you will probably win some football games.

What does he accomplish by leap frogging Roy Williams? What happens if doesn't get up so high and takes down Roy and injures himself and Roy? That would have been great. Just let the guy give his hook'em horns salute and move on. Does anyone remember Emmitt Smith's end zone dance?

I could also say what does jumping into a crowd of people accomplish? What if a player jumps into the crowd and then while going back to the ground, rolls his ankle. Same things could be said for both.

Im not saying what Austin did wasnt stupid. I actually said it was dumb in my post since they just got one last week. Just trying to figure out why some celebrations are ok and others are not.

Like favre jumping on a lineman after he throws a td is ok. I just think they're going a little to far in throwing flags for celebrations, its not like the players are using sharpies and pretending the football is a baby anymore lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back