BROCK

Hackshack
Reaction score
Handicap
Do most of you know what this is?

I've got a couple buddies that do this and it irks me. They hit the ball pass the hole and immediately reach with their putter and tap it back towards the cup. The ball hasn't even stopped moving most of the time. Granted for the most part, they are makeable comeback putts but sometimes they aren't. If they miss the drag putt, they don't count the stroke.:banghead:

I have been guilty of this very rarely... mostly when I miss a 3-6 footer that I know I should've had. But I do let the ball stop completely before I do...

I also play with some people that do exactly what you're talking about. Annoys me? yes. Probably just like you though, I keep it to myself.

Definitely is not something I do often. (only with someone I play with very seldomly)

I too have noticed this as a regular thing with some of my playing partners. It used to really annoy me when I shot scores close to them, but now that I'm better than they are, I don't care as much.

So, basically cheating? That's not really on if you're playing for any kind of stake. Part of the etiquette of the game. It's even worse than asking if a putt is a gimme.

I wouldn't let it bother you at all. People are always going to do things against the rules and unless you're playing for money there's no reason to worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't let it bother you at all. People are always going to do things against the rules and unless you're playing for money there's no reason to worry about it.

+1.

Generally I just try to worry about my game and I'm not out to change anyone. The only exceptions being the above or if it's someone who just doesn't know a rule or point of etiquette. Then I might mention it in passing.

It doesn't bother me unless we are playing for beer or money.

If your are not playing for anything, don't let it bother you, but if you are, then you should say something. Heck, if I were sitting in the clubhouse, or a bar, or wherever, and that person said they beat me by a stroke, I would be say something then too, but for the most part, they are just cheating themselves.

If I'm playing with some people I don't know then it doesn't bother me unless they step in my line. If I'm playing with my buddies or for some kind of stakes then its not gonna fly!

These people will always do this. I only drag putt if I missed a 3 footer and i drag it back to the original position i missed from and give myself the 1 footer.

So you're saying they hit it backwards to tap it in, but don't count it as a stroke? I do this, just to hole out and keep things moving. But, it still counts as a stroke on the scorecard.

Remember, if they don't count that stroke, at the end of the round when they announce their score....in the back of their mind will be that one they didn't count. And they can't re-do that. That's worse than shooting a straight-up bad score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. I see people do this all the time. As long as it's not competition, I could care less. People who don't count all of their strokes are only cheating themselves in the end.

Ugh! :banghead:
I hate this. At least let the ball quit rolling before you potentially miss the next putt!

The drag putt is a tough one to master, but it has its benefits. First of all, it looks cool. Second, if you miss, you can just pretend that it was a gimme anyway.

Lol ugh, I'll admit. I've done that. Obviously not in a competition but ugh.

The drag putt is a tough one to master, but it has its benefits. First of all, it looks cool. Second, if you miss, you can just pretend that it was a gimme anyway.

I'm better at drag putting than regular putting. I drag putt from 15 feet and in.

I'm better at drag putting than regular putting. I drag putt from 15 feet and in.

Is it bad form to drag putt a 100ft put? Why didn't i do that during the contest at the outing?

Occasionally in a practice round I'll do it but never in a tournament (obviously). I have seen guys do it in a tourney. If you do that and miss a short comebacker, ya gotta count it.
Just line it up like any other putt.....

If it gets them off the green faster, and they don't boast about a score they didn't actually make I wouldn't care.

I'm in! And I was considering it after my first 2 lousy putts

Nice! I thought I get left hanging there. I'm officially going to start drag putting every second putt from now on. When I miss, I'll declare that it was a gimme and nobody will be the wiser.

Seen it, done it, got the tshirt. Hahah.

In all seriousness it's Usually between friends or regular golf buddies.. So who cares? They just missed a 3 footer.. I feel bad for em already.

If we have a side bet going then sure. That's gonna cost em.

It surely would never take place in a tournament of any kind- but in a friendly I'll pull it back and take the putt again- wonder if I read it wrong or pushed it.

Back