Thanksgiving 2010: What are your plans?

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
It's two weeks away and we are doing something different this year, so we had to get plans settled ASAP.

My wife and our two dogs are hopping in the Outback on Wednesday afternoon (11/24) and driving to Memphis to meet some of her friends from Raleigh, NC (Jacqui's friend, her husband and their two kids). We've got two suites set up next door to each other (we're still looking into getting one big two bedroom suite since the kitchen/eating area is bigger), and cooking turkey in the hotel! The two rooms makes more sense since each room has it's own kitchen area, that means there will be two stoves/ovens to use. The one big room would only have one. Two cooking areas is pretty important on Thanksgiving!

They have a breakfast buffet which is included every day (good for me!) and it will be nice to get away and not have to worry about a bunch of people coming to our house or needing to make the rounds and hit everyone else's house.

We'll be checking out on Saturday and everyone will be back home in their own beds Saturday night and we'll have Sunday to get ready for the new week.

having 3 families to eat with on the same day always creates such a mess for our travel plans. i can't wait til foster is a little older and we can start our own holiday traditions. this may be one of my least favorite holidays as i'm not the biggest fan of traditional thanksgiving fixins.

That sounds like a very good plan there Smalls!

My dad and I are going to Alabama to visit my brother and then we are coming back Friday. I will more than likely play golf all day Saturday and Sunday after Church.

My favorite holiday. I get to see everyone. That makes it for me. I love seeing my family. We will probably end up at my brothers house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a neat, fun time Smally. Liz and I are going down to visit our mothers who happen to live 20 miles apart. Too dang far to go see the kids after just being over there.

We will be unpacking. I will make a small but traditional Thanksgiving feast for the two of us and at the same time we will be unpacking and getting settled into the new place. We told the family we will have to do something for Christmas/Chanukah instead.

Both of my Grandmas' houses.... one on Wednesday, one on Thursday.

Last edited:
We will be unpacking. I will make a small but traditional Thanksgiving feast for the two of us and at the same time we will be unpacking and getting settled into the new place. We told the family we will have to do something for Christmas/Chanukah instead.

Describe "a small but traditional Thanksgiving FEAST"! With JB that can only mean a 24 pound bird and all the fixin's! hahaha

Just a reminder to please travel safe everyone if you are headed to other places. The last thing you want is to spend Thanksgiving in the ER (which I have done for work purposes).

My wife will be working, as she does every Thanksgiving, so I'll be homebound watching the parade in the AM and football all day then a small dinner. Out of the big 3 holidays this tends to be placed on the back burner unless there's a huge family gathering which is few and far between.

Weather permitting I'll be playing golf in the morning. Then it's watching football in the afternoon.

Nice turkey dinner with my girl and my brothers family, can´t wait.

Jacqui and Brooke and the daughter are probably going to Graceland on Friday. I'll have to dog sit, so I will just hang out in the room(s) and eat leftovers. Not sure what Tom and the son are going to do!

Good thing about the trip is I can take interstate the whole way . . . I-70 to St. Louis, then I-55 down to Memphis. Nine hours. We should get there around midnight!

Describe "a small but traditional Thanksgiving FEAST"! With JB that can only mean a 24 pound bird and all the fixin's! hahaha

I will do like we did last year. I made just the turkey breast instead of the whole turkey since neither of us like dark meat. Then I will make stuffing, some type of potato, a cornbread casserole, biscuits, and then a make a pie or cheesecake for dessert. So it's a lot of food but in portions for only 2 and it's all the traditional Thanksgiving items. I will add a veggie and cranberry sauce for me but JB won't eat those.

Trying hard to get the wife to agree to go out for Sushi for Thanksgiving dinner. Told her that the restaurant will probably not be busy, so we'd be in and out.

So far, no luck. I guess it doesn't help that she doesn't like sushi.....but she likes hibachi steak.

Heather is baking a smoked turkey breast, making mashed potatoes and gravy, some cranberry sauce, biscuits, and not sure if we'll add anything else. Maybe a veggie of some sort. It'll just be the two of us again this year, so I'll have leftovers for the weekend. Other than that, I'm relaxing and hopefully playing a little golf as well. Heather has to work Friday/Saturday/Sunday, unfortunately. :sad:

The leftovers are my favorite part. I never eat the turkey the night it's cooked. I don't really like it hot. I prefer it cold the next day when it has had a chance to dry out a little bit. It makes the best sandwiches!

Heather is baking a smoked turkey breast, making mashed potatoes and gravy, some cranberry sauce, biscuits, and not sure if we'll add anything else. Maybe a veggie of some sort. It'll just be the two of us again this year, so I'll have leftovers for the weekend. Other than that, I'm relaxing and hopefully playing a little golf as well. Heather has to work Friday/Saturday/Sunday, unfortunately. :sad:

It will be nice not to have to cook this Thanksgiving. My wife's boss invited us over to enjoy the holiday with his family. Looking forward to horseshoes, football and good food.

I will do like we did last year. I made just the turkey breast instead of the whole turkey since neither of us like dark meat. Then I will make stuffing, some type of potato, a cornbread casserole, biscuits, and then a make a pie or cheesecake for dessert. So it's a lot of food but in portions for only 2 and it's all the traditional Thanksgiving items. I will add a veggie and cranberry sauce for me but JB won't eat those.

That's almost anti-American right there! haha

He doesn't like cranberry sauce? My mom used to wrap me up a can every year for Christmas since I liked it so much!

Going to Minnesota to see my Mom and others. Should be alright, though I'm not a huge fan of traveling these days. I'm going to try and find a golf simulator while I'm there.

Haha. Nope, neither of us have ever liked dark meat. I don't think he likes cranberry sauce. I have bought it each year and I am the only one who eats it. I love it!

That's almost anti-American right there! haha

He doesn't like cranberry sauce? My mom used to wrap me up a can every year for Christmas since I liked it so much!

Haha. Nope, neither of us have ever liked dark meat. I don't think he likes cranberry sauce. I have bought it each year and I am the only one who eats it. I love it!

Used to be, I wouldn't go near cranberry sauce. But Heather finally got me to try it again a couple years ago and now I have to have it!

Family is heading up to Ruidoso NM to my uncle's new winter get away. Most likely eating a mix of traditional and family favorites, (green chili rice, and either bbq or steaks) along with a hope for warm weather to play a round of golf since he belongs to the country club up there :eat:

Well, like most thanksgivings in the last decade I'll be working with our F&B team at the resort busting out about 1,700+ covers for our grand Holiday buffet and then heading to tail end of my wife's family thanksgiving gathering. It's an exhausting, but rewarding day!

The ususal for me. Heading over to the folks', about half a mile away. Doing it early this year, as the wife has to work that evening. Then, it's back to the office the day after, and hopefully only work 5 or so hours and still get paid for 8. Never changes as we don't have family anywhere but KC, so we never have to travel to see the families. Plus, it just means that I have to bring over one dish and not spend a ton to go somewhere.

How can someone NOT love cranberry sauce??

That reminds me to call mom to see if she's making her homemade cranberry sauce this year...oh I hope so!

Back