More Forgiving irons

Divot

Reaction score
Handicap
hey guys, I currently play the Callaways X22 irons with the uniflex shaft. I played in palm springs last week and felt I was striking the ball decent. I shot a 115 on a rather difficult course. My typical handicap is 35. I usually shoot between 105-112 depending on how im playing. I tend to put rather poorly and that severly worsens my score. Lots of 3 puts sometimes even 4.:at-wits-end: I am looking at getting an iron set that is more forgiving. I don't work the ball at all. I just like it to go straight and nice and high in the air. I was looking at the Wilson DI9 irons. Any thoughts? Any other suggestions as well. And maybe some good wedges to compliment the set. This will be my Christmas present to myself. :banana:Thanks in advance. Anthony-

I don't know anything about the Wilson DI9 but lately I have heard good things about Adams irons. I am in the process of looking for new clubs myself to replace my BH-5's (Hogan).

There are plenty of knowledgeable people on this site so someone will offer better advice than me but thought I could help get the ball rolling. Good luck!

Thanks WamGolf. Im looking at Adams as well. I think there are known for their hybrids.

It depends what you want to hear. If you like the Wilson Di9s, then go for it, maybe the extra confidence will get you over the hump. However the realist in me thinks that I should tell you that you can save all the money, grab a lesson or two and be a far better player than before without changing your irons. The X-22s are very good irons. I used them for a few months and liked them a lot. Very forgiving without sacrificing much in performance.

We could make a list of 20 sets to try out and most would go to the store, hit them all, get a nice sound/feel from a certain set, buy that set and then 60 days later start this vicious cycle again. Im all for new equipment, and like the Di9s quite a bit, but in my opinion, you will not notice much difference at all out there.

I know people never want to hear "get lessons" and I am not saying that. I am saying that if you are going to get new equipment to better your game, get 1 lesson first and see what happens. Then get the new irons.

Adams A7OS would be the set to look into from them. If you wanted to stick with Cally it would be the Diablo Edge, TM=Superlaunch. Every brand pretty well has an option for you. Just take a look around.

JB is right, there are many solid game improvement sets and only trying them out will let you know what you like or dislike. Lessons will help you improve your ball striking a lot faster and get more of your irons, whether you stick to the X-22 orgrab a new set you like better.

Jb: I have taken 4 lessons with my teaching pro and the local course. I bought a set of 6. I understand how important lessons can be and truly value your input. I just don't enjoy playing the Callys for some reason. I feel when I mis hit them, they punish me more than I want. I have devolved a decent swing, and typically the ball goes straight, sometimes even a nice little draw. I just seem to have a difficult time hitting them pure. Its maybe 1 for 3 or 1 for 4 shots I actually hit there sweet spot.

Jb: I have taken 4 lessons with my teaching pro and the local course. I bought a set of 6. I understand how important lessons can be and truly value your input. I just don't enjoy playing the Callys for some reason. I feel when I mis hit them, they punish me more than I want. I have devolved a decent swing, and typically the ball goes straight, sometimes even a nice little draw. I just seem to have a difficult time hitting them pure. Its maybe 1 for 3 or 1 for 4 shots I actually hit there sweet spot.

The X-22s as irons really should not have that type of punishing effect on the ball striking. I find them quite forgiving. With that being said, it seems as though mentally, they are not working for you and once one has checked out of their clubs, there really is no turning back. Good luck in the search and check back in and let us know how it goes.

if your putting is causing that many strokes, go get a putter fitting for the right loft, lie, and shape. That may be a more effective way to spend your dollars.

If you've lost all confidence in the Callaway's then a change may help, however you can save a lot of strokes via the putting. Are you having problems with distance control? Or are your misses left or right? In any case, you may want to spend some time on the practice putting green. It also sounds like you have a lot of long putts. Are you having trouble getting the ball close with your chips and pitches? Lessons don't always have to be about the full swing. A short game lesson can be a big help has well.

Good luck!

Cobra s2 max. Mix set. Im partial. Long,, forgiving and soft.

Are your X22 fitted to you or off the rack ?
If you do decide to buy a new set no matter the brand , I would recommend having a club fitting done .
Nothing like having confidence in your equipment .

I do find it odd that the X22's are punishing for you. They gave me just enough feedback to let me know I mishit it, but no pain, and when they were pured it was like butter. Sounds like, as others have said, a mental thing.

A bit of topic, but look into getting a putting mat. There great to groove a solid stroke and build confidence on sinking putts. There is a great review on them here (can't find it though). It'll surely help your game out as a whole.

Sean, Yes a lot of my putts go long. I'm usually accurate with the line but my speed is off. And yes I need some new wedges to help my short game. Any recommendations on wedges would help. Thanks Anthony!

If you've lost all confidence in the Callaway's then a change may help, however you can save a lot of strokes via the putting. Are you having problems with distance control? Or are your misses left or right? In any case, you may want to spend some time on the practice putting green. It also sounds like you have a lot of long putts. Are you having trouble getting the ball close with your chips and pitches? Lessons don't always have to be about the full swing. A short game lesson can be a big help has well.

Good luck!

Yes they were SUPPOSEDLY fitted. I was told, I am a standard right out of the box player. I don't need any adjustments don't to my clubs. A professional club fitter at roger Dunn told me this.

Are your X22 fitted to you or off the rack ?
If you do decide to buy a new set no matter the brand , I would recommend having a club fitting done .
Nothing like having confidence in your equipment .

Sean, Yes a lot of my putts go long. I'm usually accurate with the line but my speed is off. And yes I need some new wedges to help my short game. Any recommendations on wedges would help. Thanks Anthony!

As a high handicap, I would not recommend getting any higher lofted wedges. I think people believe that it is usually the answer, when in fact more will end up losing strokes because of it. Work on creating the shots from all angles with a PW and get a single SW for out of the bunker.

As for speed of putts, there is only ONE way to fix that. By rolling a lot of putts on the practice green.

I will look into one. Thanks

A bit of topic, but look into getting a putting mat. There great to groove a solid stroke and build confidence on sinking putts. There is a great review on them here (can't find it though). It'll surely help your game out as a whole.

JB: With 2011 around the corner I play on spending some hours on the practice green.
As a high handicap, I would not recommend getting any higher lofted wedges. I think people believe that it is usually the answer, when in fact more will end up losing strokes because of it. Work on creating the shots from all angles with a PW and get a single SW for out of the bunker.

As for speed of putts, there is only ONE way to fix that. By rolling a lot of putts on the practice green.

The easiest way for you to fix all of this and find out everything is the THP demo day in May.

May is a great month. My birthday is in may and it will give me an excuse to buy stuff. Where is the demo?

The easiest way for you to fix all of this and find out everything is the THP demo day in May.

+1 on this. I used to try using three different wedges, and while I still can, I much prefer to use a low bounced 52, blade style, that can cut through rough, sand, tree branches...
I can hit a flop as high with the 52 (Not that a person who doesn'tpractice it a lot should EVER try it, it is a low percentage shot.) as with a 56.

Anthony, as JB said it's all about practicing those long putts and developing the feel. May I humbly suggest that you practice long and short putts. Don't worry about mid-range putts, but work on 20, 30 and 40 footers and work on lagging it close, and then work on three footers. If you can get within three feet, and then make the three footers you'll get those three and four putts down to two putts. Let's say you average 41 putts per round, if you can get it down to 36 there's five strokes right there.

And, following JB's suggestion, perhaps chipping it closer you may knock in some one putts. Though, I still recommend a short-game lesson. :)

Work on creating the shots from all angles with a PW and get a single SW for out of the bunker.

Seve Ballesteros only played up to 56*.

Back