I've got the SHANKS

What is it with golfers and the fear of the "s" word? I'm not supersticious...

Went out on the range the other day with a big bucket of balls, and started with half swings with my SW. Then worked up to a full swing, and then gently progressed through my bag. Seems to be okay now, but I was freaking out for a while. "Tin Cup" came to mind!
It's just not a word I like to hear when I am anywhere near a golf ball, hell the mere thought of it sucks. It doesn't bother some people, it's just not something I want to hear.

I equate it to watching people vomit while eating, it just ruins the appetite.

It's just not a word I like to hear when I am anywhere near a golf ball, hell the mere thought of it sucks. It doesn't bother some people, it's just not something I want to hear.

I equate it to watching people vomit while eating, it just ruins the appetite.

It is probably more akin to someone "talking" about vomiting while you are eating. Doesn't bother me, but I can see why some folks are not fond of it.

It is probably more akin to someone "talking" about vomiting while you are eating. Doesn't bother me, but I can see why some folks are not fond of it.
Or hearing about it for that matter, thank you.

Good thing One-T changed his previous name! biggsy must have broken out in cold sweats every time he saw he was online! hehehe

Good thing One-T changed his previous name! biggsy must have broken out in cold sweats every time he saw he was online! hehehe

Thats why biggsy never talked to me (at least thats what I am telling myself) hahahaha, jk

I vote that the "S" word never be used in the title of a thread on this forum EVER again!

I agree 100%.....I think the R word (RAIN) should never be said ona golf course either.

Played yesterday without one shank.:alien2: Made other mistakes but I can live with that.

Think I developed these at the company tournament last weekend. I started off great, hitting my 4 iron onto the green of a 195 par 3 to start the round and nearly driving the green of the next par 4. However, mid way through the round with the heat index 100+, my game started falling to pieces. It didn't happen with anything but my irons though. The ball literally went almost 90* when I hit it, and when I'd walk to it to hit it again, it'd do the same thing. I played Saturday and did the same thing on a couple of the par 3's, and I have absolutely no idea why. I've never had that problem before, but boy is it frustrating.

I had someone very, very close to me get the shanks yesterday over a six hole stretch in a tournament. This young person played those six holes in 18 over par and there was a 10 and a 12 in the mix. While I could easily see what was causing it, I couldn't help because advice is against the rules. It was heartbreaking. To this young player's credit, the ship was righted and a 44 shot on the next nine.

Aye Carumba! I hope to never see that happen again. No one deserves that pressure.

Kevin

thats too bad for JL glad to hear she got it turned around on the back 9

I had someone very, very close to me get the shanks yesterday over a six hole stretch in a tournament. This young person played those six holes in 18 over par and there was a 10 and a 12 in the mix. While I could easily see what was causing it, I couldn't help because advice is against the rules. It was heartbreaking. To this young player's credit, the ship was righted and a 44 shot on the next nine.

Aye Carumba! I hope to never see that happen again. No one deserves that pressure.

Kevin

That's rough, especially when you cant help! Like JP said: "how an otherwise happy, healthy and confident man can be reduced to little more than a quivering mass of protoplasm in the space of 30 seconds by something like the shanks."

Ive been scared to even read this thread for the fear of this creeping into my swing.

I searched the forum for shank and i saw this thread.
Ive been playing for 2 years and 5 months now and ive never had the shanks until this last month or so.
I got them during a round and shot my worst round in over a year and i didnt know what was going on.
The worst thing is, I had a tournament in 2 days in th GCAT and was freaking out.
so I call up my coach and make an appt. the next day and i hit the ball great so he never got to see the shank swing i had.
So i go the following day to the tourney and im warming up and the shanks are back!! I start to panic and cant do anything about it.
I try hitting punch shots, still shank them. I start to hit 30yd chip shots and im shanking them also.
I was terrifed that i had to tee it up in the tourney in 30 mins.
I play and i dont shank one until hole 15 and then on hole 17 a par 3, i shank one and end up having to take a 7 on the par 3
I end up winning by 5 strokes and playing my 2nd best round of my life, not my 2nd best score though.
I dont know how i went from 2 extremes.
This was 2 weekends ago and i havent played since because of all the rain in So. Cal but i have a net in my garage and ive been practicing alot and the shanks are back!!!

Ive tried everything and i cant figure it out.
I think its because my hands are getting to far ahead and not accelarting thru the ball. I think a combo of both but i dont know

This is the worst ive felt ever and im scared to play again, ughhhh

Here is the cure all for the shanks...

Put your change in your left pocket. Go on, do it.
Now, tie your left shoe in a double knot.
Turn the hat backwards. Turn your hat around.
Take this tee and stick it behind your left ear.

Now take the ball and hit it up the fairway !

I got the "shanks" a couple of years ago and almost gave up golf. I tried an instructor and even he gave up on me!I just shanked irons ,could still hit woods great.He advised me to get a 7 and 9 wood.Fortunately I found another instructor-Randy Joyner of Charlotte who works with some Nationwide guys -and in two lessons I was hitting much better,even father than before.I still will shank one now and then but I settle down and work it out using his tips.Mine problem came about when I started trying flop shots around the greens and screwed with my ball position and open clubface.

Stay away from me I hear they are contagious :sick::sick::sick:

Mike Nicolette at Ping showed us a ultra slow speed video of a "snap fade" while I was in Phoenix that showd the clubface closing at impact, trapping the ball against the hosel and sending it sideways. I would have never figured that if I hadn't seen it.
That being said, I think the cure to your ills is to stabllize the clubface. If you are making contact with the hosel then the clubface is open and if you are trapping the ball against the hosel by closing the clubface then the clubface had to be open too to cause you to have to close it.
Find out at what point the clubface is coming open and start from there.

I had the shanks once a long time ago.....
(Rest of awesome post deleted for brevity).

I nominate this for the post of the year 2010 award.

Yes, I got the shanks recently, and has been battling to correct them, making some progress.

had them once really bad 4 years ago. my club champoinship, I am in the championship flight playing to a 3. shanked a few on the practice range and took it to the course. Shot a 103. Tried every swing thought I had and could not get it to work. Took some tens and hit some of the ugliest shots you have ever seen. On a par 3, shanked off the tee about 75 yards but still in play up against the hill on right of fairway. then shanked a sandwedge OB on the right over the hill. felt bad for my playing partners who had to watch this display. Went to practice range after the round for 2 hours and worked on my shoulder turn, keeping hands inside on the downswing and used a club as a guide by the toe to encourage a good swing plane. There were more than a few surprised players at the beginning of the second round to see me there. Shot a 73 in the second round the next day. Still finished last in my flight. Have not had them since. knock wood.

I had them all summer and read where Right handed) right knee was going toward ball in swing, instead of moving toward target. Sure enough that is what it was. Try making sure right knee doesn't get closer to ball in downswing. It cured mine and got distance back. I try to swing thru farther also(meaning belt buckle to target on follow thru)

The shanks are so freaking weird...

The shanks are so freaking weird...

I have been hitting horribly the last few days. Today, I was screwing around with some old balls and a Lynx blade 4 iron, and I took a swing, and smashed the thing. It flew a mile... did the same thing three mor e times...

Something like this ever happen to anyone else? Here one day, gone the next... Weird...

YES!!.
I have had times I could not hit a ball at the range. Everything was shankapodimus city. Then on the course it goes away. I realized its two things.. The first and worst is rolling the hands over instead of the correct thing for me is to imagine putting my right thumb in my ear. Not rolling over, and keeping my nose on the ball.

Your coming over the top. keep the club path coming from the inside. Swing to first base.

Dude, that happens to be all the time. I really need more consistency. I now tell myself when I am hitting it badly to just hang in tough for the next few holes as I now it will turn around.

Thats the thing.
I have been focusing on swinging to first base, and hitting horribly. A more effective motion for me is a single plane sing. I didn't bother going through the motions today, and instead just swung how my body felt like swinging.

I was inspired by my success with the blade, so I took my new X22 6 iron out. Oh my God. That thing is a LOT longer than I though. I was EASILY carrying two clubs longerhan my old set. Holy crap...
YES!!.
I have had times I could not hit a ball at the range. Everything was shankapodimus city. Then on the course it goes away. I realized its two things.. The first and worst is rolling the hands over instead of the correct thing for me is to imagine putting my right thumb in my ear. Not rolling over, and keeping my nose on the ball.

Your coming over the top. keep the club path coming from the inside. Swing to first base.

This happened to me once this summer.... I met up with a buddy to drink some beers and screw around on a local 4 hole par 3 course (pay once play as much as you like) Got to the first tee (sober) and I couldn't hit a wedge 80 yards. Tried again, off the hosel. I went to the range instead and went through 2 buckets trying to figure out what the heck was going on to no avail.

The next day I was fine.

Back