Aldila RIP Beta shaft

White Rhino

SANDBAGGER!!!!!!!
Reaction score
I recently purchased a White Cobra S3 driver with this shaft in it. After two rounds I am noticing a much higher ball flight than my previous set-up (Cleveland Xl Driver with an Aldila VS Proto Shaft) Both are S flex, the RIP is 10 grams lighter. Has anyone hit this shaft and is it a higher launching shaft for them as well? I look on the Aldila website and it says it is a mid launch shaft so I am confused.

I recently purchased a White Cobra S3 driver with this shaft in it. After two rounds I am noticing a much higher ball flight than my previous set-up (Cleveland Xl Driver with an Aldila VS Proto Shaft) Both are S flex, the RIP is 10 grams lighter. Has anyone hit this shaft and is it a higher launching shaft for them as well? I look on the Aldila website and it says it is a low to mid launch shaft so I am confused.

for me the Beta was a mid launch shaft, i hit a couple high ones with it but not many. That was in the R11

I believe the new beta shaft is slightly more high launching than the gamma, which was the black shaft with the yellow eyes from last year.

On the opposite side of the spectrum is the alpha (red eyes) which is designed for lower launch.

The Beta to me is higher launching than its "brothers and sisters" in the line, but overall still mid to high. I have tried to fall in love with the Aldila RIP shafts like others have, but I just do not care for them as much as others.

The Beta to me is higher launching than its "brothers and sisters" in the line, but overall still mid to high. I have tried to fall in love with the Aldila RIP shafts like others have, but I just do not care for them as much as others.

Jb, can you make a comparison to the Matrix Xcon 5?

Kevin

I am trying to compare this shaft to the Blur in the S3 I hit at the outing. I noticed this shaft has a torque of 5.5* versus the Blur at 3.5*. Now can someone tell me what that means?

I am trying to compare this shaft to the Blur in the S3 I hit at the outing. I noticed this shaft has a torque of 5.5* versus the Blur at 3.5*. Now can someone tell me what that means?

Pretty sure the higher the torque in the shaft, the higher the trajectory is.. And the 'softer' the shaft feels.

So in that scenario, the blur would be substantially lower in trajectory.

Pretty sure the higher the torque in the shaft, the higher the trajectory is.. And the 'softer' the shaft feels.

So in that scenario, the blur would be substantially lower in trajectory.

Torque refers to the shaft's ability to twist/deflect I believe.
A lower torque shaft (<3˚) is more difficult to work with compared to a higher torque one. I can't say why, but this is just what I've read.
The torque angle is measured using a 1oz weight I think as well.

I'm a huge Aldila RIP fan. I hit the Beta in a variety of shafts at a demo day and it fit me perfectly. I have a mid ball flight with a few lower misses and this shaft was a higher mid launch for me with a few misses that were mid. You can try some of the other RIP shafts that are fairly lower launching like JB said, but there are a ton of other great shafts out there if you can't find a Aldila you like. The Miyazaki Dromos and Fubuki Alpha are a couple favorites of mine.

I believe you have those numbers backwards. The Cobra Blur rolls in at 5.5, the RIP should be around 3.5. Torque generally is the least important number when it comes to shafts though since no one seems to measure it the same way.

You should definately be getting a higher launch from the S3 with the Beta then the Cleveland with the Proto. The cobra is a higher launching head and the Beta (mid to high) is a higher launch shaft then the Proto (Low to mid). Are you finding the RIP to launch higher then the Blur and you don't want this?

Ratfink:
Generally lower torque means the shaft has less feel and is harder to load properly but that's not a hard and fast rule. A Kai'li is a super easy shaft to load due to it's flex profile yet has a a mid range torque rating (3.5). The Ahina's torque is only a bit lower (3.1) but most people would tell you it's significantly harder to load and lacking in feeling, where as a DI-6 has the same torque as the Ahina but isn't that hard to load. The flex profile is much more important but knowing the flex profile and the torque can generally give one a better idea as to how it will play before trying it (in theory).

I believe you have those numbers backwards. The Cobra Blur rolls in at 5.5, the RIP should be around 3.5. Torque generally is the least important number when it comes to shafts though since no one seems to measure it the same way.

You should definately be getting a higher launch from the S3 with the Beta then the Cleveland with the Proto. The cobra is a higher launching head and the Beta (mid to high) is a higher launch shaft then the Proto (Low to mid). Are you finding the RIP to launch higher then the Blur and you don't want this?

Ratfink:
Generally lower torque means the shaft has less feel and is harder to load properly but that's not a hard and fast rule. A Kai'li is a super easy shaft to load due to it's flex profile yet has a a mid range torque rating (3.5). The Ahina's torque is only a bit lower (3.1) but most people would tell you it's significantly harder to load and lacking in feeling, where as a DI-6 has the same torque as the Ahina but isn't that hard to load. The flex profile is much more important but knowing the flex profile and the torque can generally give one a better idea as to how it will play before trying it (in theory).

That's a quality response right there.
More to consider next time I go and hit some clubs I guess haha.

Ratfink:

Made a typo and you caught it correctly, blur is 5.5 and RIP is 3.5. Yes I am getting higher launch with the RIP than I did with the Cleveland or the S3.

Just wanted to ask here. My swing speed averages between 113-116 on a good day. I'm looking at the Alpha and Beta versions of these shafts, after hitting the Beta in a Superfast 2.0 and loving it. Now I've been playing a stiff shaft in my current driver, and was thinking of upgrading to an X-stiff flex on a RIP shaft. Unfortunately none of my local stores have anything with an X flex for me to try (on any club). Can anyone who has a SS similar to mine comment on whether the extra-stiff would be a better choice over the stiff for me? I have a really good deal on these shafts staring me in the face, I just have to choose the flex.

Just wanted to ask here. My swing speed averages between 113-116 on a good day. I'm looking at the Alpha and Beta versions of these shafts, after hitting the Beta in a Superfast 2.0 and loving it. Now I've been playing a stiff shaft in my current driver, and was thinking of upgrading to an X-stiff flex on a RIP shaft. Unfortunately none of my local stores have anything with an X flex for me to try (on any club). Can anyone who has a SS similar to mine comment on whether the extra-stiff would be a better choice over the stiff for me? I have a really good deal on these shafts staring me in the face, I just have to choose the flex.

thats some serious SS. im betting a fitter would have you in x stiff. i was told 95-105 for stiff at my last fitting.

what kind of ballflight do you see with the current shaft?. i think the beta might be too high for you but thats really just a guess without seeing you hit it.

thats some serious SS. im betting a fitter would have you in x stiff. i was told 95-105 for stiff at my last fitting.

what kind of ballflight do you see with the current shaft?. i think the beta might be too high for you but thats really just a guess without seeing you hit it.

I have roughly the same driver SS as the OP and am currently using a RIP Alpha 60 X-Stiff in my R11. It's on the lighter side of the X's so it isn't as stiff as most of them but keeps the ball down and the club head stays in control even when I am going after one. I think the OP could benefit from an X-Stiff as well.

Got lucky and got out of work early today. Went for a drive across the border and out to Carl's Golfland. They had an R11 in their used section with a Beta extra stiff in it. I hit that for a while, and will be going with the extra-stiff. It felt a lot better than the stiff flex one I was trying, and it was keeping the ball a touch lower than the stiff. Ideal for what I wanted it to do.

I'm still a bit surprised that I like this shaft so much since the last Aldila shaft I had was NV and I really really was not a fan.

Got lucky and got out of work early today. Went for a drive across the border and out to Carl's Golfland. They had an R11 in their used section with a Beta extra stiff in it. I hit that for a while, and will be going with the extra-stiff. It felt a lot better than the stiff flex one I was trying, and it was keeping the ball a touch lower than the stiff. Ideal for what I wanted it to do.

I'm still a bit surprised that I like this shaft so much since the last Aldila shaft I had was NV and I really really was not a fan.

The RIP is what i play in all my drivers and FW, and hybrid, nothing like the NV. I play the Alpha but actually played the Beta in the R11 earlier this year and really liked that shaft. With your swing speed i think you really need the X-Stiff

The RIP is what i play in all my drivers and FW, and hybrid, nothing like the NV.

Indeed. Though it's amusing in that they are just starting to test a RIP NV on the Tour now heh. Same sickly green colour

Indeed. Though it's amusing in that they are just starting to test a RIP NV on the Tour now heh. Same sickly green colour

really, i have not heard that until now.

Well, after finally giving up on my Tour Burner with the Stiff shaft (look for it on the Marketplace soon), I tossed my previous driver, an R510 TP with an X-Flex Fuji E360, in the bag for today's round. Made all the difference in the world. I felt like the X-flex was working wonders for me, so yes, I will be going with the X-flex when I purchase the RIP shaft for my (hopefully soon to be purchased) Burner SF2.0 TP.

Do these shafts play softer than what they are labeled? I am just curious to see if they are all like that or if I got a bad one. I had one made and it was supposed to be a regular flex. I had it tested and it came out to be about a 4.3CPM which is basically a ladies flex. I am not even sure I can tip it enough to turn it into an R flex. Does anyone know what the maximum amount is that you can tip this shaft? I want to have it play to a 6.0CPM but I dont think I can cut enough off to do it.

I would contact the company directly and explain your issue.
Do these shafts play softer than what they are labeled? I am just curious to see if they are all like that or if I got a bad one. I had one made and it was supposed to be a regular flex. I had it tested and it came out to be about a 4.3CPM which is basically a ladies flex. I am not even sure I can tip it enough to turn it into an R flex. Does anyone know what the maximum amount is that you can tip this shaft? I want to have it play to a 6.0CPM but I dont think I can cut enough off to do it.

I would contact the company directly and explain your issue.

I am going to contact Aldila customer service. I really hope I didnt just waste $200. Anyone have any experience with their customer service?

So if I'm already hitting the ball fairly high with my R11 would you reccomend the beta or alpha. From what most posters said the beta seems to give the ball much higher ball flight. HMMM? I'm going to need to find this shaft to hit.

I played the RIP alpha in my 910 D2 and it was a mid launching shaft for me, it worked well for my swing. This rip was a Titleist made for shaft and may be slightly softer than a rael RIP. I believe the beta is a mid to high launch shaft.

Back