Nike SV vs VR forged wedges

theslflash689

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.3
Hey guys. I'm looking to get some Nike wedges to go along with my new set of irons. Anyone tried these 2 and wish to compare? Looking at these older models in order to keep the cost down. Other brands are welcome too, just trying not to spend 300 dollars on wedges if you know what I mean. Thanks!

Anybody? Going to Roger Dunn's to look at these today. Just trying to find out people's on course experience and suggestions. Thanks

I did not care for the SV wedges at all. I liked the VR quite a bit. Not as much as other wedges on the market at the same time, but they were good wedges.

I did not care for the SV wedges at all. I liked the VR quite a bit. Not as much as other wedges on the market at the same time, but they were good wedges.

I hear the VR's shred up softer covered balls. Did you have any experience with that JB? Any suggestions on something that won't kill my golfballs? or is that given for a high spin wedge?

The SV's felt really harsh to me. Almost like every shot was off the toe if that makes sense in terms of feel. I liked the looks of them but other than that they were kinda meh to me.

If you're on a budget look at the West Coast Designs wedges, can be had for sub $60 the Mizuno MPT-10's and the CG14's are also good values.

I hear the VR's shred up softer covered balls. Did you have any experience with that JB? Any suggestions on something that won't kill my golfballs? or is that given for a high spin wedge?

All new wedges that have deep grooves shred golf balls.
I agree with SWFLA above.
West Coast Designs from Bridgestone might be the most underrated wedges on the market. The CG14s could be had for next to nothing right now and I found were incredible.

Ok, i'll look into those. How did you guys feel about the spin on those wedges? I am a very low spin hitter and need all the help I can get.

Ok, i'll look into those. How did you guys feel about the spin on those wedges? I am a very low spin hitter and need all the help I can get.

CG14 might be the spinniest wedge I have ever used. If you are looking at older wedges (meaning a year or so), check out the wedge shoot out on the home page for a TON of info.

All three (WCD, Mizzy, CG14) spun well to me, however I don't get wrapped up in spin numbers much because like you I'm not really a spinner of the ball. I just look for feel/weighting/consistency and trust that if I find a wedge that I can execute with repeatedly the spin will be there. The West Coast have a neat feature in the sole grind is variable. I would game them in a quick minute if I could find the right loft bounce combo here locally to try out. Added bonus is they just look wonderful with the oil/bronze finish. Jaws wedges can be found on the cheap as well and we all know they spin well.

CG14 might be the spinniest wedge I have ever used. If you are looking at older wedges (meaning a year or so), check out the wedge shoot out on the home page for a TON of info.

Just wondering, will the shredding of golfballs go down once you break the wedge in a little? I'm not talking about after a season of use, but after a handful of rounds and practice sessions. The VR forged felt really good but I'm afraid of tearing up a ball on every wedge shot.

Just wondering, will the shredding of golfballs go down once you break the wedge in a little? I'm not talking about after a season of use, but after a handful of rounds and practice sessions. The VR forged felt really good but I'm afraid of tearing up a ball on every wedge shot.

I'm a little confused, you're tearing covers up but not getting a lot of spin?

I'm a little confused, you're tearing covers up but not getting a lot of spin?

No, what I mean is that I know that the VR forged wedges generate a lot of spin, but I hear so many people talk about how it completely shreds up golfballs. I want to know if this will go away after a little time. I am gaming some stock Ping wedges now which have next to no spin on the greens.

Well a lot of that is going to depend on the ball you're playing. I would hedge that you won't have a major problem with them. Can you demo them outside or take a loaner club?

As grooves wear down so does shredding of golf balls. I dont think the VR Forged shred balls nearly as much as a few others, but that is just me.
They spun well, but were not even close to the top for me. But keep in mind most of the spin you plan to generate is from technique and ball and less about wedge.

Not really. That's why I was asking people here. haha. I play bridgestone e5's now, and I'll be playing Srixon Z-stars when I go on vacation next month.

As grooves wear down so does shredding of golf balls. I dont think the VR Forged shred balls nearly as much as a few others, but that is just me.
They spun well, but were not even close to the top for me. But keep in mind most of the spin you plan to generate is from technique and ball and less about wedge.

True. I do know that right now, in my case, it is the wedges. I can generate a ton of spin with my dad's vokeys. They stop on a dime on full shots, but my ping's just release forever, and this is with the same ball.

I have both sets and looking to get rid of (to spend $300 on a wedge set)... I believe the SV are cast where the Vr are forged, so the Vr have a better feel and I was able to control the trajectory better. I personally was getting more spin than I wanted with the Vr forged.

Anyone else on the SV wedges? So far what I am hearing is that the cast feel is just average, and the spin isn't as great as the VR forged. Just wondering if they still provide an adequate amount of spin. Are the VR's worth the extra cost?

cant comment on the SV's but i've been playing the VR forged all year and they have broken in nicely. They still put plenty of spin on the ball (Penta, B330/S, Nike 20XI) but I've noticed the cuts in the ball are getting a little less severe as the season wears on. They definitely will still cut a ball up a little on a full shot, but I'm not getting the full "fingers" on every shot now.

Hope this helps. I wouldnt hesitate to pick up the VR's if you can find them cheap, they have been a great wedge for me.

I play the SV's and like them. Besides my CG15 52* these are the only 'brand name' wedges I have ever had. They are getting pretty beat up from hitting out of bad lies and will probably get replaced next spring. To me, so much about "liking" a wedge is getting the right loft/bounce combo for you and your swing. I have hit lots of very good quality wedges but didn't get the shots I like because they had too much or too little bounce for me. I would focus more on that than how much spin one wedge can create vs another. You won't care about the spin numbers if you're consistently skulling it or hitting it fat.

i only played a round with them but i like the mizuno mp t10, chipped in for birdie with my 54 :)

Thanks guys! I am leaning a little bit toward the VR forged, but the only opportunity I had to hit them was off a mat indoors. I hit the SV today and in terms of feel, they reminded me of Vokey wedges. However the ones I tried out were used for about 5 years, so I didn't get much more spin than the old stock ping wedges I am hitting now. Of course off the mat the VR felt better, but I couldn't see any results from a shot. If the shredding of balls goes away with time then I will probably go toward the VR since they felt better and just by review, seem to have quite a bit more spin than the SV's. I do like cleveland wedges, but they're pretty pricey compared to what I can get one of the Nike's for. Any other comments/suggestions?

I am not sure what your budget is for your wedges but the Cleveland CG14's are down to $90 on TGW.

I have a 56* SV wedge and I love it. I like it so much, I'll likely replace my 52* Vokey soon with an SV...

The vokey shreds the cover on balls, but doesn't seem to generate much more spin (if any) than the SV which doesn't shred covers

Back