Question for my tall/long legged friends

julie_m

EveryoneLovesACallyGirl
Reaction score
Anyone find at the driving range that the mats aren't big enough? I was hitting farther than ever today when I backed up on my driver...but my right foot was half hanging off the edge of the mat. Josh teased me about it, and I probably looked dumb because I kept losing my balance, but I was hitting great so I didn't want to move back up.

Do you guys have this problem, and what do you do?

You're legs are honestly that long? how far did you move back Julie? even when I move as far as I can go I just reach the end of the mat.

Either you have abnormally long legs, or the mats are rediculously small.

I have never really been to a range that has mats. But at the stores that use them, I always thought they were plenty big. Do you know the measurements?

I'm limby, long legs and long arms both. I'd say our mats are 3'x3', Josh guesses 4'x4'. Maybe I'll bring a tape measure next time.

That is very small.

That is very small.

LOL, it FEELS small!

I laid down a measure and tried by memory...I'd say 3.5. The tee is right dead in the middle, which I think is a mistake, since I like to line it up off my front heel.

Wasn't it DD or someone though who played in tiny, tiny range spots that we were talking about?

I am just guessing but I think our mats are 4 foot octangle shaped mats. And I agree, there should be a hole for the tee to come through on both ends (For right and left handers). Which may be why they have them in the center (Bad planning).

Luckily, we have grass areas. I won't use the mats.

I'm not that tall (6'0" with long arms) and I run into that issue sometimes, Julie ... especailly if I have to turn a little bit one way or the other.

I looked at the ones at my range this morning and they look to be about 5' x 5' with tee holes in the center of each side. I have no problem staying on the mat and I'm 6'3" and lanky.

I looked at the ones at my range this morning and they look to be about 5' x 5' with tee holes in the center of each side. I have no problem staying on the mat and I'm 6'3" and logy.

Fixed it for ya!

I think the problem is having the tee in the center of the mat. That's just weird. I'm shorter than you--if I lie, I make it to 5'5"--and if the ball is more than six or eight inches in from the edge of the mat, I have problems as well.

Fixed it for ya!

I think the problem is having the tee in the center of the mat. That's just weird. I'm shorter than you--if I lie, I make it to 5'5"--and if the ball is more than six or eight inches in from the edge of the mat, I have problems as well.

Maybe you are spreading your legs too much.

Maybe you are spreading your legs too much.

Shut your mouth!

The ball is 8 inches in from the left side of the mat, and my heels are tipping off the edge of the right side of the mat. How does having or not having a Larry Craig stance have anything to do with THAT?

Shut your mouth!

The ball is 8 inches in from the left side of the mat, and my heels are tipping off the edge of the right side of the mat. How does having or not having a Larry Craig stance have anything to do with THAT?

Sorry, I misunderstood. Are your mats rectangular instead of square?

Sounds like you need something wider instead of longer.

Sorry, I misunderstood. Are your mats rectangular instead of square?

Sounds like you need something wider instead of longer.

Or just keep the balls closer to the edge. That range was too far away anyway.

No, it was the usual holes on the sides. I was mostly hitting irons.

I meant the middle of the sides In other words, you can't move the hole. So longer clubs cause problems. That is, your mat isn't deep enough to accommodate the additional length of your driver.

That's a different problem than some others have described (unless I'm confused) with their back foot off the back of the mat because the hole is in the middle and their mat is too short.

My range is the only one I know of open at night. :crying:

Guess I better look for where the luxe locales are.

Harry - my foot falls off the right side. Near the back corner. Not sure that was clear.

Visual Aid

Visual Aid

feet.jpg

That looks like a lefthanded one turned around backward. Which would lead to falling off the back.

That looks like a lefthanded one turned around backward. Which would lead to falling off the back.

The mats I've used all have tee holes in the same place on all 4 sides. It's gotta be that the mats are just too small, because I hit from the same position and I've got plenty of room .

Why do you say that? How do you know? (And aren't they all equipped for both, you just turn them back and forth?)

I said that because on any mats I have seen down here have the hole slightly past half way towards the front, not towards the back. But like I said, I am not an expert on this at all.

I said that because on any mats I have seen down here have the hole slightly past half way towards the front, not towards the back. But like I said, I am not an expert on this at all.

I'm sorry, I tried to make it in the middle.

Eyeballed. A crude visual aid. :wink:

Back