Pics from last weekend

Gummi Bear

Sporadic Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
Bean Dip
My Pop and I played a course out near the Farm, in Eastland called Lakeside. The next day we went to Willow Park (just west of Fort Worth) and played Squaw Creek. Both were fun. It was a blast getting to hang out with my Dad and have a goof off weekend. It's been a long time since we did that.

Lakeside is pretty flat, but the trees and water make it challenging. It's in pretty good shape considering the extreme drought we've been in for the last couple of years. It was ridiculously windy (30mph sustained according to the news) and we lost a few balls, but we both had a fantastic time.

Just for you, JB:

A pic of Cisco looking down Main (Cisco is home to the very first Hilton hotel):

Squaw Creek on Sunday - the weather was gorgeous! Just a whisper of a breeze, mid 70's. The course is greening up nicely, and the greens were in very good shape. Nice, soft landings and smooth putting (with just a few sprouts of poanna here and there)

More pics

Hey gummi is it true they paint some of the courses down there green to make them look more appealing?

Dent - Yes, some courses will. Neither of these were painted.

It's really kind of a mess when they do, but it does make it easier to distinguish the green when playing when the turf is dormant. Otherwise it just looks like a flag sticking up in the fairway. There's no contrast.

Golfer Gal - we had an awesome time. It rained a lot this past week, so in the coming weeks the courses will be in excellent condition.

I'm really excited about this coming golf season and walking. I think I've got one of the guys here at the office talked into playing 1 or 2 evenings a week with me at a local muni (where Trevino used to hustle folks 'back in the day')

LOL @ the Crocs.

Nice pictures, Gummi!

Great pics. Love the pull cart. Is it Clic Gear?

Yes it is, and I love it!

Gummi how do you find it in terms of Fun Factor when the grass is just all brown like that?

I feel part of the fun in the game is the environment, and course condition.

Dent-

Originally being from TX, but living in the Pacific NW, I can tell you that it is weird at first. I'm so used to everything being green year-round here, that when I play in TX (either in the winter when the grass is dormant, or in the hottest part of summer when it is brown), it takes me a few holes to get used to it. But you adjust pretty quickly to ignoring the color and seeing only the course strategy.

Of course I'm a weirdo, so a normal person's opinion on this would be a good idea.

Dent-

Originally being from TX, but living in the Pacific NW, I can tell you that it is weird at first. I'm so used to everything being green year-round here, that when I play in TX (either in the winter when the grass is dormant, or in the hottest part of summer when it is brown), it takes me a few holes to get used to it. But you adjust pretty quickly to ignoring the color and seeing only the course strategy.

Of course I'm a weirdo, so a normal person's opinion on this would be a good idea.

I could see that, I guess you are so focused on the game you really don't dwell on your surroundings.

wow everything is so brown out there in Texas this time of year huh? greens look good though

We're still waiting for the grass to green up here in K.C. A lot of our courses use zoysia grass. My yard too, is probably two-thirds zoysia. I'm wanting it to be 100% but it's taken 35 years to get to where it is now! I guss I could buy a bunch of plugs to speed it up.

We've had a really bad drought here for the last few years. The first course I put up, was only a few miles from a wildfire in January of 2006 that claimed tens of thousands of acres, several lives and over 100 homes.

We haven't had any measurable precipitation out there since back in October or thereabouts. This past weekend, I know we got a little over 2 inches, and the ground was so thirsty, that our stock tank didn't go up hardly at all (it's 4 feet low, but still plenty of water in it)

We're on a very delicate ledge between the plains region and the desert. A few years of drought, overgrazing, or fire can take decades to repair the land.

Go further south and east, and it's much more tropical. Go further west, and it's much more arid, go north, and it's flat for miles. Texas is really big, and diverse.

Get this: Driving back from Baja in 2007, my buddy and I towed the racer home from Ensenada (about an hour south of San Diego). It took us as long to get to El Paso from Ensenada, as it did to get from El Paso to Dallas.

The courses here around Dallas, are greening up nicely. I'll take pics on Thursday, I plan to get in as many holes as possible on the 'super twilight' deal.

Gummi how do you find it in terms of Fun Factor when the grass is just all brown like that?

I feel part of the fun in the game is the environment, and course condition.

It's winter golf here, you just get used to it. I guess that's a contributing reason as to why I'm so fascinated with course layout. As long as the greens are decent, I can deal with adverse fairways. It does make it hard to strike down on the ball, which has led me to be a quite effective 'sweeper' of the ball, but it costs me yardage. I've been working hard to try to fix that the last few weeks/months.

wow everything is so brown out there in Texas this time of year huh? greens look good though
Yup, it's just now starting to rain here. We've been months without.

That is one sweet rig you've got there Gummi!!! I love how my Sun Mountain looks too, makes me want to go walk my sticks around the block!!!

I'm loving the pushcart. It is so much fun to walk (we'll see how my attitude towards that changes come August when it's 105* out) but my resolution this year was to walk more than I ride, so away I go!

You know its kinda funny how I live in south florida and you would expect rain every other day, and I can't remember when it last really rained. Today we got a bit of rain, but I remember days when it was just pour. I live in front of a lake and sometimes it would rain so hard you couldn't see the other side of the lake. And the worst part is, now that it doesn't rain as much, the greens are hard as brick! You could hit a good shot onto the green and you couldn't stop that ball from rolling an extra 10 feet even if you PAID it to.

Gummi:

It's going to take me a while to get used to the new avatar!

Gummi:

It's going to take me a while to get used to the new avatar!

It's either that, or you can have "The Donger"!

long-duk-dong.jpg

"What's a-happenin' hot stuff!?!?!"

Back