Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 - THP Review Thread

Thanks to Jman and all for a comprehensive review. I'm fine with my driver and 3w, but I do have a use/(ahem...excuse) for the 1.5.

First, I'm assuming that the 1.5 is straighter than the driver, due to loft and shaft length (I game with a 46 inch driver) so the 1.5 would be useful for drives in tight fairways.

Second, I sometimes encounter par 3's where I'm in between using the driver and the 3w, so I've got use for a 1.5.

Some questions to Jman:

What tee height is recommended? Do you hit it upwards like a driver or downwards like a 3w?

If you were to recommend a 1.5, would you recommend the BB, the Aero or the SLDR?

Thanks.

So this is a major skim, but something I started thinking about recently. I know people love the mini driver, but if you're using it exclusively off the tee, why not just get a shorter driver with a 460cc head? I was thinking about the GBB driver in 13.5*; why not get that on a 44" shaft instead of the 1.5?

For me, the reason for the mini druver is that it allows me to tee it lower than a normal headed driver. I have issues hitting a ball that is teed more than half inch from the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another thread skim here but does anyone play there Mini at 43"? If so what's she like off the deck? Off the tee I imagine she's a fairway machine.

Another thread skim here but does anyone play there Mini at 43"? If so what's she like off the deck? Off the tee I imagine she's a fairway machine.
I played mine at stock 44 and it is a LONG fairway machine. I'm at 15° and off the deck is no issue

I hit the 1.5 mini at a Goldsmith this week but it didn't perform any better than my X2 Hot 2Deep. For now I'm holding off on this club but wouldn't be opposed to buying one next summer when Callaway has a new model and I'll be able to pick one of these up used for $100.

I played mine at stock 44 and it is a LONG fairway machine. I'm at 15° and off the deck is no issue

Thanks, that's awesome to hear. I struggle with three woods of the deck but I've been intrigued by the Mini since those early pictures started popping up. I guess I'm trying to justify it. I don't struggle with the driver and I've found that shallow faced Callaway fairway woods work best for me but still I want a Mini.

Thanks, that's awesome to hear. I struggle with three woods of the deck but I've been intrigued by the Mini since those early pictures started popping up. I guess I'm trying to justify it. I don't struggle with the driver and I've found that shallow faced Callaway fairway woods work best for me but still I want a Mini.
Mini is really good option off the tee when you want more control than driver and almost as much distance. I rarely hit off the deck but it is possible as long as you are not steep. Really need to sweep this club

Mini is really good option off the tee when you want more control than driver and almost as much distance. I rarely hit off the deck but it is possible as long as you are not steep. Really need to sweep this club
Kang, what does the 1.5 offer that a standard driver on a shorter shaft wouldn't, assuming I'm not trying to hit it off the deck? Wouldn't the 460cc head be more forgiving than the mini when accuracy is at a premium?

Kang, what does the 1.5 offer that a standard driver on a shorter shaft wouldn't, assuming I'm not trying to hit it off the deck? Wouldn't the 460cc head be more forgiving than the mini when accuracy is at a premium?
The concept of a shorter shaft (more control), hotter face and different COG than a 3W. This combo means long, straight and controlled drives.

I actually bagged 2 460cc drivers for a while; one with a 46" shaft and one with a 43" shaft. It worked quite well for me.

I've never given a mini-driver a fair shot before but I'm actually thinking I'd like to try one of these.

I roasted one of these when I hit it on the monitor, but the fact of the matter is that I can make the same nasty miss with a fairway as with a driver, so this club never would have made much sense in my bag, since I hit it almost as far but the head was just smaller.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

The concept of a shorter shaft (more control), hotter face and different COG than a 3W. This combo means long, straight and controlled drives.
The fact you can tee it lower and swing it like a fairway. I guess same could be said about driver though. It's really comes down to comfort level when looking down at it

Also the shaft options are different as well. Shorter shaft on driver with 60g shaft is totally different feeling than shorter 60g shaft on 1.5. If you go with higher loft on driver and shorten shaft you will need to increase weight of shaft.

I actually bagged 2 460cc drivers for a while; one with a 46" shaft and one with a 43" shaft. It worked quite well for me.

I've never given a mini-driver a fair shot before but I'm actually thinking I'd like to try one of these.

What made you give up on the 43" 460cc driver?

HarvMP and I did a bit of chatting about possible grandaddy setups. I think this club could be a pretty solid option for him. From what we were talking about, driver is his anxious club. It can go great, or not so great. He teed off with a 3 hybrid a few times and just mashed it. Started talking about this, and if he's not a 3 wood off the deck guy, this could be a viable option to help build confidence when needing to find the fairway off the tee.

Taylor and I had a good talk about this club yesterday, and I can safely say neither of us have any plan on putting one in the bag in December. Definitely a fit for some, but I still stand by it being a niche club.

For me, the GBB 3w just outpaces is in all aspects. Plus, I'd be better off hitting HW off the tee anyways with the distances I see.

HarvMP and I did a bit of chatting about possible grandaddy setups. I think this club could be a pretty solid option for him. From what we were talking about, driver is his anxious club. It can go great, or not so great. He teed off with a 3 hybrid a few times and just mashed it. Started talking about this, and if he's not a 3 wood off the deck guy, this could be a viable option to help build confidence when needing to find the fairway off the tee.
The top of the bag is where I am most confused on what direction ill be going. This club is definitely on my mind based on our conversations as well. I am going to see what my local store has to swing tomorrow and try and feel out some hopeful options for the top of the bag. The other thing I always wonder is maybe my current driver is just not for me, only the second driver I have ever owned and maybe the shaft isn't for me either, I just don't know based on my lack of fitting experience and exposure to other drivers.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

The top of the bag is where I am most confused on what direction ill be going. This club is definitely on my mind based on our conversations as well. I am going to see what my local store has to swing tomorrow and try and feel out some hopeful options for the top of the bag. The other thing I always wonder is maybe my current driver is just not for me, only the second driver I have ever owned and maybe the shaft isn't for me either, I just don't know based on my lack of fitting experience and exposure to other drivers.

Funny you say that. Talking to Pete on the way back, I said I can't wait to see what a driver fitting will do for you. I bet with GBB you pick up somewhere like 10-15 yards and more forgiveness. I can't wait to get out and there and see it first hand.

Funny you say that. Talking to Pete on the way back, I said I can't wait to see what a driver fitting will do for you. I bet with GBB you pick up somewhere like 10-15 yards and more forgiveness. I can't wait to get out and there and see it first hand.
Im beyond excited for it especially watching you two off the tee, and knowing your weapons were fit for you. Its been on my mind heavy since being announced for this event, but ultimately I'm going ego aside and playing my bag as whatever is best for #TeamRedemption and that includes the MINI on my mind at the moment.

Last edited:

This one made the bag early summer and I sold my old driver. Wanted to try out a mini driver. It is quite straight , but there is loss of distance. So I am bringing back a driver again.

Last edited:

I got to extensively use the mini driver today and was definitely hitting more fairways.

It's a 14 degree turned down to 13 with a project x LZ16 6.0 stiff shaft.

I was absolutely crushing it off the tee with a nice little draw. The sound is awesome as well. The past couple rounds my driver has been way off so I have been resorting to 3i off the tee.

I feel like the mini driver is a nice solution when the driver is not on. I found tee hight is pretty important with this club though. I was also hitting it pretty awesome off the deck on par 5's as well.

If the GBB is as good as the mini I am excited to get that into the bag.

I am going to try to play another round tomorrow so I'll report back.

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

I got to extensively use the mini driver today and was definitely hitting more fairways.

It's a 14 degree turned down to 13 with a project x LZ16 6.0 stiff shaft.

I was absolutely crushing it off the tee with a nice little draw. The sound is awesome as well. The past couple rounds my driver has been way off so I have been resorting to 3i off the tee.

I feel like the mini driver is a nice solution when the driver is not on. I found tee hight is pretty important with this club though. I was also hitting it pretty awesome off the deck on par 5's as well.

If the GBB is as good as the mini I am excited to get that into the bag.

I am going to try to play another round tomorrow so I'll report back.

I too found the mini with lz shaft to be a weapon

I too found the mini with lz shaft to be a weapon

And it's deep. I had a drive today that was 280.

Average was 250-260 which is plenty long.

Good lord, I'd kill for 280!!!

Back