I don't necessarily do yoga, but I started doing pilates about a year ago to help my back and that's done a lot for me in general. 10-15 mins every morning, and I focus a lot on my back, core, and hamstrings to help keep them in shape over the winter. I read a few articles on stretches for golf and was happy to see a few I was using were encouraged for golfers.

Not golf specific yoga, but I have been doing the DDP yoga for about 3 or more months and I feel great. I am much more limber and mobile than I have been since I was in my early teens. And the DDP yoga is a pretty darn good workout as well.

I don't necessarily do yoga, but I started doing pilates about a year ago to help my back and that's done a lot for me in general. 10-15 mins every morning, and I focus a lot on my back, core, and hamstrings to help keep them in shape over the winter. I read a few articles on stretches for golf and was happy to see a few I was using were encouraged for golfers.
Do you have links for any of the stuff you do?

Do you have links for any of the stuff you do?

I do both of these stretches regularly to help my back & strengthen my core.

I also do a lot of hip rotations (there's a version of it on the previous page of the above link with an exercise ball, I do them without) and always go into child pose in between different exercises just to keep my back stretched out.

I'll do single leg lifts & circles too for my hips, and a lot of rotational stuff like putting the putter I keep in my living room across the back of my shoulders and stretching side to side.

Like I mentioned earlier, I started doing a lot of these a year ago when my back kept hurting from sitting at a desk all day. They helped almost immediately, and it's good to know a lot of them are recommended for golfers too.

I do yoga, I love it. It's not golf specific but the overall health benefits are awesome.

I do both of these stretches regularly to help my back & strengthen my core.

I also do a lot of hip rotations (there's a version of it on the previous page of the above link with an exercise ball, I do them without) and always go into child pose in between different exercises just to keep my back stretched out.

I'll do single leg lifts & circles too for my hips, and a lot of rotational stuff like putting the putter I keep in my living room across the back of my shoulders and stretching side to side.

Like I mentioned earlier, I started doing a lot of these a year ago when my back kept hurting from sitting at a desk all day. They helped almost immediately, and it's good to know a lot of them are recommended for golfers too.
It's funny, there's some of those I already do as a back exercises as well.

My buddies wife is now a certified yoga instructor, I'll see if she has any ideas on golf specific stuff!

My buddies wife is now a certified yoga instructor, I'll see if she has any ideas on golf specific stuff!
IMO there's nothing in yoga that you can pull out specifically for golf but I'm not an instructor. It's a whole body practice but all the areas that yoga lengthens and strengthens are good for golf and general health. I'm 58 and yoga definitely benefits my game.

David Swenson has a great Ashtanga yoga DVD called "Yoga Short Forms" that has 15, 30 & 45 minute sessions. It's a movement/flow type of yoga and a great warmup (15 minute) or workout (longer).

Another thing you can do that's helped me as a daily stretch or warmup before playing is the dynamic stretching in this link: Ed Paget's F.A.S.T. class
Lots of hip, back and shoulder stuff, perfect for golf

I'm a big fan of Mindy Boysen's Fit for Golf, Fit for Life DVD series. I bought one for starters and ended up getting all three dvd's. I did my research and she was one of few that was TPI certified. The same TPI organization that hosts: Golf Fitness on the Golf Channel. The first dvd focuses on flexibility, strength and balance. The second DVD uses a medicine ball and the last uses a big yoga balancing ball. I consider myself to be in above average shape and find the workouts to be challenging. Not extreme, but challenging. I totally credit her dvd's for helping me make a full shoulder turn in my backswing. Long story short, I highly recommend her three dvd's to everyone.

Mindy is a fantastic trainer and a pretty darn good golfer as well.

I like doing yoga, I do not do it enough, though.
I think that the exercises that stretch your shoulders, lower back, and hips are probably the best for golf. There are some simple ones, but I find the Cat/Cow poses, baby's pose, child's pose, and the pigeon are all pretty good just to get warmed up in the morning.
In addition, I use a roller on my legs and to crack my back in the mornings. Helps me stay a little less stiff.

Very new to the site and to the sport and at 62, a walking bag of aches and pains.

Bought a book called "little red book of yoga" and been working through some of the positions since November . Also paired that with 100 swings, 2 or 3 times a week.

So far, lower back pain has been drastically reduced and a dose of golfer elbow is just about settled down.

Just back from 5 rounds in Palm Springs and managed 5 days in a row with no pain (even managed a couple rounds below 100 and one 9 of 45)

Flexibility is improving and there is no impact injury

Very new to the site and to the sport and at 62, a walking bag of aches and pains.

Bought a book called "little red book of yoga" and been working through some of the positions since November . Also paired that with 100 swings, 2 or 3 times a week.

So far, lower back pain has been drastically reduced and a dose of golfer elbow is just about settled down.

Just back from 5 rounds in Palm Springs and managed 5 days in a row with no pain (even managed a couple rounds below 100 and one 9 of 45)

Flexibility is improving and there is no impact injury

Glad to hear your flexibility is improving and helping you play pain free.

And welcome to THP!!!

lol, I do the free yoga on my xbox 1. The kinect shows you if you are doing it right or wrong (which is key to yoga) and scores you on the workout, which is impossible with youtube or dvd. I've been using it for hockey as I get injured every year, and this has been helping.
Actually thinking about buying some of the workouts.

When I do yoga, I feel so much better. I wish I had time for more yoga in my life.

When I do yoga, I feel so much better. I wish I had time for more yoga in my life.

I was just having a talk with the wife yesterday about yoga, and how I just can't get into it. I get bored real quick

I was just having a talk with the wife yesterday about yoga, and how I just can't get into it. I get bored real quick

Got take a class with a younger group and I promise you won't be bored. :D

I think Yoga can help golfers in far more ways than people think. Beyond flexibility, I know yoga helps me improve my focus, breathing, alignment awareness, and resilience. My wife is a yoga instructor, and she works with a group that focuses less on yoga as a workout and more on yoga for healing and healthy lifestyle, what they call healing arts. They have helped me recover from 2 injuries in recent years. They have even helped me change my diet, with positive outcomes. I don't do nearly as much on the mat "yoga" as I should, but I am a believer with yoga a daily part of my life.

I wouldn't mind starting a program for flexibility and strength.

Might have to look into this more!

I wouldn't mind starting a program for flexibility and strength.

Might have to look into this more!

Dude I think Yoga would be soooo beneficial for you and not just your golf game.

Practicing yoga has been one of the best things I've done for myself for overall health.

I mentioned this thread to Julie, and she asked if she could put me on a golf yoga program. Sure. She will work me 30 min per day for 3 months. First session was hard, but I feel like this will be good for me and my game.

Ten minutes when you wake up is more than enough time to go through the sun salutation. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

This weeks issue of Golfweek focuses on yoga.

Others have asked for golf-specific yoga. I think this is one example.

716c-QdAgZL._SY550_.jpg

I have this DVD and Roger Fredericks is basically taking different yoga poses and showing how they help your flexibility for golf. It's a good program & one I need to start again. It's sad how fast I get tight & stiff if I don't do this every day - and it doesn't take a lot of time.

#lazy_ass #no_excuses

Back