US Open [Spoilers]

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Woohoo! I spent some time checking out the course online today. Should be a great weekend of golf.

I love the US Open. Ends Fathers day so for us lucky dads who get spoiled all day, get to cozy up in the lazy boy with our ribeye to watch the finish... it doesn't get much better than that!

Hmmm... gotta figure out who will be this year's Graeme...

Yeahhhhhh Baby!!!!!!!!!

Great reading and awesome contests? Gotta be THP!!

One of my favorite tournaments of the year. Looking forward to seeing what THP comes up with!

I love the US Open and I'm really excited about this one hearing that over par may win it. I know most don't like to see them struggling to make birdies, but I love to watch when it's crazy tough.

Will be an awesome 4 days (minimum) of golf!! Looking forward to the banter in this thread and the contest that THP is providing!

Monday after The Memorial will be a 36 hole qualifier. Most of the field will be Memorial entries.

Columbus, Ohio (Brookside Country Club/The Lakes Country Club)

120 players for 16 spots

Ohio Sectional Qualifying Leaderboard

Some storylines below:

• Byeong-Hun "Ben" An of Alameda, Calif., became the youngest winner of the U.S. Amateur when he defeated Ben Martin in the 2009 final at the age of 17. An was born in South Korea, but moved to the United States to pursue golf. He currently plays for the University of California-Berkeley.
• Billy Andrade of Atlanta, Ga., has four career PGA Tour victories. His best U.S. Open finish was sixth in 1992 at Pebble Beach. Andrade was a member of the victorious 1987 USA Walker Cup Team.
• Stuart Appleby of Windermere, Fla., has nine career PGA Tour victories and has played in 14 U.S. Opens. The Australian finished 36th at the 1997 U.S. Open held at Congressional. His best finish is a tie for 10th in 1998 at The Olympic Club.
• Ricky Barnes of Phoenix, Ariz., won the 2002 U.S. Amateur by defeating Hunter Mahan at Oakland Hills Country Club in Birmingham, Mich. Barnes finished tied for second in the 2009 U.S. Open at Bethpage Black, which was won by Lucas Glover. Barnes also represented the USA at the 2002 World Amateur Team Championship.
• Keegan Bradley of Scottsdale, Ariz., won his first PGA Tour event at the 2011 Byron Nelson Championship on May 29. Bradley is the nephew of LPGA Hall of Famer Pat Bradley, who was the first woman to win all four majors, including the 1981 U.S. Women's Open.
• Joseph Bramlett of Saratoga, Calif., is a rookie on the PGA Tour who, along with Tiger Woods, is one of two players on the Tour with African-American heritage. The former Stanford standout has played in four U.S. Amateurs, two U.S. Junior Amateurs and a USGA Men's State Team Championship. He qualified for the 2010 U.S. Open as an amateur.
• Wyndham Clark of Greenwood Village, Colo., is a 17-year-old high school junior. Clark advanced to the third round of match play at the 2009 U.S. Junior Amateur Championship.
• Ben Curtis of Cleveland, Ohio, won the 2003 British Open at Royal St. George's. The central-Ohio native has two other PGA Tour victories and has appeared in six U.S. Opens, with his best finish coming last year at Pebble Beach, where he tied for 14th. He represented the USA at the 2000 World Amateur Team Championship.
• David Duval of Cherry Hills Village, Colo., won the 2001 British Open and became the No. 1 player in the world rankings. Duval has 12 other wins on the PGA Tour. Duval tied for second (with Ricky Barnes) at the 2009 U.S. Open at Bethpage State Park.
• Derek Fathauer of Jenson Beach, Fla., played in the 2008 U.S. Open at Torrey Pines, where he made the cut and finished in 69th place. Fathauer has also played in four U.S. Amateur Public Links Championships and four U.S. Amateurs. He advanced to the quarterfinals in both the 2007 and 2008 U.S. Amateurs.
• Nick Gilliam of Gainesville, Fla., won the individual NCAA Championship in 2001 and led the Florida Gators to the national team championship the same year. He played in the 2005 U.S. Open, missing the cut.
• Hunter Haas of Southlake, Texas, won the 1999 U.S. Amateur Public Links and played on the 1999 USA Walker Cup Team that lost to Great Britain and Ireland in Nairn, Scotland. Haas was also a semifinalist in the 1999 U.S. Amateur.
• Kevin Hall of Cincinnati, Ohio, has been deaf since age 2 from complications of meningitis. Hall played at Ohio State University and won the Big Ten individual championship by 11 strokes in 2004. He has played in one U.S. Amateur, U.S. Amateur Public Links and U.S. Junior Amateur.
• Brian Harman of St. Simons Island, Ga., won the 2003 U.S. Junior Amateur at Columbia Country Club in Chevy Chase, Md. The left-handed Harman has also played in six U.S. Amateurs and two Walker Cups (2005 and 2009).
• Buddy Harston of Nashville, Tenn., is the head coach of the men's and women's golf teams at Lipscomb University. He played in the U.S. Senior Open in 2003 and 2006.
• J.B. Holmes of Purcellville, Va., has two career PGA Tour victories and four U.S. Open appearances. He also was a member of the victorious 2005 USA Walker Cup Team.
• Charles Howell of Windermere, Fla., won the 2000 NCAA Division I men's golf individual championship with Oklahoma State University. He was the runner-up in the 1996 U.S. Junior Amateur and has two career PGA Tour victories.
• Ryuji Imada of Tampa, Fla., was runner-up in the 1997 U.S. Amateur Public Links. Originally from Japan, Imada moved to the United States in high school to pursue golf. Imada is now a regular PGA Tour player and has one career victory as well as six U.S. Open appearances - his best finish is a tie for 12th in 2006 at Winged Foot.
• Steve Jones of Chandler, Ariz., won the 1996 U.S. Open at Oakland Hills Country Club in Birmingham, Mich., and has seven other career PGA Tour victories. Jones has played in 12 U.S. Opens and just joined the Champions Tour.
• Colt Knost of Dallas, Texas, won the U.S. Amateur and the U.S. Amateur Public Links in 2007, joining Ryan Moore as the only golfers to win both of those titles in the same year. He was also on the 2007 USA Walker Cup Team that beat Great Britain and Ireland at Royal County Down Golf Club in Northern Ireland.
• Spencer Levin of Roseville, Calif., was the low amateur in the 2004 U.S. Open at Shinnecock Hills. He also represented the USA at the 2004 World Amateur Team Championship.
• Rocco Mediate of Greensburg, Pa., has six career PGA Tour victories and 15 U.S. Open appearances. In 2008 at Torrey Pines, Mediate and Tiger Woods played a memorable 19-hole playoff, where Woods eventually prevailed.
• Sean O'Hair of West Chester, Pa., has three PGA Tour wins. He has played in four U.S. Opens and finished tied for 12th last year at Pebble Beach.
• Jose Maria Olazabal of Spain won the Masters in 1994 and 1999. He has 31 worldwide professional wins and has appeared in the U.S. Open 17 times, with his best finishes a pair of ties for 8th place, in 1990 and 1991. Olazabal will captain the European Ryder Cup Team in 2012.
• Anthony Paolucci of Rancho Santa Fe, Calif., was the runner-up in the 2007 U.S. Junior Amateur. At the time, he was only the third 14-year-old in history to make it to the final. Paolucci also appeared in two other U.S. Junior Amateurs and two U.S. Amateurs.
• D.A. Points of Thiensville, Wis., won the 2011 AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am over Hunter Mahan. Points has played in one previous U.S. Open.
• Brett Quigley of Jupiter, Fla., won the 1987 U.S. Junior Amateur and is a regular on the PGA Tour. His uncle, Dana Quigley, is an 11-time winner on the Champions Tour.
• Chez Reavie of Scottsdale, Ariz., won the 2001 U.S. Amateur Public Links and is on the PGA Tour.
• Vijay Singh of Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., is a Hall of Famer with 58 professional wins, including three majors. The Fijian has the longest active streak of majors played at 67, which dates to the 1994 British Open. Singh's best U.S. Open finish came in 1999, when he finished third at Pinehurst.
• Nathan Smith of Pittsburgh, Pa., is the reigning U.S. Mid-Amateur champion. Smith, a member of the victorious 2009 USA Walker Cup Team, also won the Mid-Amateur in 2003 and 2009.
• D.J. Trahan of Purcellville, Va., won the 2000 U.S. Amateur Public Links while attending Clemson University. He tied for fourth at the 2008 U.S. Open at Torrey Pines and has two career PGA Tour victories.
• Kevin Tway of Edmond, Okla., is the son of former PGA Tour player Bob Tway, who won the 1986 PGA Championship. The younger Tway won the 2005 U.S. Junior Amateur and qualified for the 2008 U.S. Open. He was also a finalist for this year's Ben Hogan Award.
• PGA Tour rookie Jhonattan Vegas of Spring, Texas, won the 2011 Bob Hope Classic in a playoff. The Venezuelan was a semifinalist in the 2007 U.S. Amateur.
• Mike Weir of Sandy, Utah, won the 2003 Masters and has seven other PGA Tour wins. The Canadian left-hander has played in 11 U.S. Opens and has four top-10 finishes.
• Gary Woodland of Dallas, Texas, is a rookie on the PGA Tour who won the Transitions Championship in March. Known as one of the longest hitters on tour, Woodland also lost the Bob Hope Classic this year in a playoff to Jhonattan Vegas.

cant wait, US Open is one of my favorites, love watching it

I love the US Open and I'm really excited about this one hearing that over par may win it. I know most don't like to see them struggling to make birdies, but I love to watch when it's crazy tough.

This is my favorite major. Even more than The Masters. I love seeing these guys struggle to shoot even par for a change.

For those of you interested, you can google US Open golf and check out the website for some cool info. They have a course tour and you can actually play it via WGT without logging in, etc.

KOOOOOCH!!

If I heard it right, this will be the longest major championship. I think Congo is playing 7500 yards, Thats freaking long! and I will be there for the Saturday round.

Really looking forward to this. I het the tv all day on the Sunday swell

I would love another Euro win but as long as the golf is good then it really doesn't bother me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk because I am away from my Mac

I can't wait for this U.S. Open the best tournament of the year!

The US open is the most fun for fans all year. We get to see the pros shank it, four putt, chili dip chips, and second guess themselves into double bogeys, .... Sounds like my weekday foursome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm I like the US Open - it's golf after all. Plus one the best mornings at a previous job was when Michael Campbell won.

However I just don't like the way the courses are 'tricked up'. 300 yard par 3s, 500+ yard par 4s and rough up to your knees, all with fairways half a yard wide.

Ok so I'm exaggerating but you get the point.

I'm all for a score of +/-even par, but not while at the same time making the pros look stupid.

I love the US Open, end of Story! :laughing:
Amazing golf for 4 days, what could be better?

Hmmm I like the US Open - it's golf after all. Plus one the best mornings at a previous job was when Michael Campbell won.

However I just don't like the way the courses are 'tricked up'. 300 yard par 3s, 500+ yard par 4s and rough up to your knees, all with fairways half a yard wide.

Ok so I'm exaggerating but you get the point.

I'm all for a score of +/-even par, but not while at the same time making the pros look stupid.

All the reasons I absolutely love it!

All the reasons I absolutely love it!

Which is why golf is so great!

Should be a great event either way!

Back